Chicago Teenager Stabs Younger Sister to Death

Chicago Teenager Stabs Younger Sister to Death

A Chicago teenager allegedly stabbed her younger sister, age 11, because the younger girl did not appreciate her or the things she did, Illinois prosecutors are saying. During a court hearing held on Wednesday, prosecutors stated the older girl had set her alarm clock, went downstairs and grabbed a knife. She then proceeded back upstairs to her sister’s bedroom and started to repeatedly stab the younger sister while she was in bed while she reportedly kept telling her how the younger girl did not appreciate all the things that the older sister had been doing around their home. The older girl stated that she had fixed dinner almost every night that week, and the 11-year-old was reported to have been hitting her the night before.

Chicago police investigators received a 911 call and were dispatched to a house near the 1600 block of Woodhaven Court in the Mundelein suburb around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday. They had gotten a report of an unconscious juvenile, stated the Mundelein Police Chief Eric Guenther. When they got there, they found the 11-year-old dead in her bedroom. The Lake County coroner released a statement saying that she had been stabbed at least 30 times in the chest, arms and neck.

The 14-year-old teenager will face first-degree murder charges. Court officials stated that a choice will be made in a couple of weeks whether to move the case into the adult court system because of its brutality.

Prosecutors explained that after the murder, the 14-year-old called the police and gave them a story about a Hispanic male invader who was in the house and was stabbing her little sister. She repeated the story during the crime scene investigation and while she was being interviewed by Chicago police detectives. When the police officials later explained to her that they had hair strands that would ultimately show who the real suspect was, the girl confessed that she did it, stated prosecutors. She gave police both written and oral statements.

Guenther explained that the teenage suspect was the one who made the 911 call and also answered the door when police showed up at the home approximately four minutes later. An autopsy was performed on the younger sister late Wednesday morning. It showed that the official cause of death was from sharp-force injuries. There was confirmation of very much trauma. Multiple stab wounds were also evident.

The county coroner Dr. Thomas Rudd stated that Chicago police had retrieved the knife, which was thought to have been used in the attack and that from judging the younger girls injuries the knife had to be around 4 inches long.

After the body of the girl was discovered, it caused a lockdown of all nearby schools. Several were even put on high alert for approximately 15 minutes while police worked to lockdown the scene. Both girls went to the same school but Guenther refused to identify it by name.

Prior to releasing any news statements, Chicago police enforcement had been tight-lipped on what had occurred at the house. A neighbor had reported there was a stabbing somewhere in the area, and another resident stated that an employee of one of the nearby schools had been told there was a murder in the vicinity. However police originally refused to give any comment on such reports. The people in the area know the truth now. One of their own, and at the tender age of 14, has allegedly stabbed her younger sister because the other girl did not appreciate her or the things she did.

By Kimberly Ruble


The Chicago Tribune

San Francisco Gate

NBC News