Former NFL star tight end Aaron Hernandez has been tied to a July 2012 double murder that took place in Boston, according to a newly released search warrant.
According to the Hartford Courant, which obtained the warrant from the Superior Court in Bristol, Connecticut, surveillance video shot the night of the killings show that Hernandez, 24, was inside of an SUV that is believed to have been involved in the murders. No motive is mentioned in the warrant nor is there any reference to whether evidence exists that show that Aaron Hernandez himself actually killed the victims.
The murders occurred in the South End of Boston on July 16, 2012. Victims Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreu, 29, and Safiro Teixeira Furtado, 28, along with three friends, had recently left a nightclub and were parked at a stoplight when they were both shot to death. A survivor of the shootings, Aquilino Freier, reported to police that as they were stopped at the light, an SUV pulled up next to their vehicle. Freier claims to have seen somebody laughing in the back seat before shots came from the rear passenger seat into their car.
Witnesses report seeing a silver SUV registered to Rhode Island fleeing the scene. A silver SUV that is said to match the description of the car seen speeding from the scene was towed from the home of Aaron Hernandez’s uncle on June 28, 2013, and delivered to police. According to the warrant, Hernandez was given a silver Toyota 4Runner from a rental company in exchange for doing promotional work for them. Hernandez’s cousin, who lived at the home from which the SUV was towed, told authorities that the car was “Aaron’s” and that he was the only person who drove it. The SUV had been in his uncle’s garage and not driven for more than a year.
The search warrant tied to the double murder and newly released on Tuesday also reveals the existence of separate surveillance video showing ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez and one Alexander Bradley entering the Boston club, Cure, at approximately 12:30 a.m. on the night of the killings, which was just after Abreu and Furtado had gone inside. Hernandez and Bradley leave Cure approximately 10 minutes later. In another video shot shortly after 1:15 a.m., Hernandez drives a Toyota 4Runner SUV out of a parking garage. The victims are seen on video at 2:10 a.m. as they leave the nightclub and according to the warrant, Hernandez drives by them twice as they walk to their car.
Bradley was arrested last fall for allegedly evading authorities who were tasked with subpoenaing him to appear before the grand jury in charge of investigating the double murder in 2012. According to the warrant released yesterday, a Department of Corrections official heard Bradley on the phone during a conversation in which he recounted details of the Boston double homicide investigation. The warrant is requesting access to those recordings.
As a side note, Bradley is now the plaintiff in a civil suit filed against Aaron Hernandez in which he alleges that Hernandez shot him in the face after an argument in 2013.
Police have recovered the Smith & Wesson .38 caliber revolver used in the double murder. The gun was inside of a suitcase in the trunk of a car and found after the car was involved in a crash. The woman driving the car at the time of the crash, Jailene Diaz-Ramos, allegedly told the police that her friend, “Chicago,” and several football players had placed the suitcase inside of her trunk. Whether or not the football players included Aaron Hernandez is unknown, although both Diaz-Ramos and Hernandez have ties to Bristol, CT.
Aaron Hernandez is currently in jail and being held without bail as he awaits trial in a separate murder case. He has pleaded not guilty to murdering his acquaintance, Odin Lloyd, 27, on June 17, 2013. It was only after Hernandez was charged in Lloyd’s murder that authorities began investigating Hernandez for the 2012 murders. According to the warrant, their investigation began after receiving a phone call on June 22, 2013 that led them in that direction.
The call reportedly was made by an employee of Boston’s Rumor nightclub, which was the scene at which Hernandez and Lloyd had an argument that resulted in Lloyd’s murder. The warrant also relates that the same caller reported hearing a conversation linking the murder of Lloyd and the Boston shooting deaths.
To date, there have been no arrests in the case, and the lawyer for ex-NFL star Aaron Hernandez’s lawyer has not commented on the newly-released search warrant nor how it ties his client to a double murder.
By Jennifer Pfalz