Hawaii Toddler Dies After Dental Procedure

Hawaii Toddler Dies After Dental Procedure

A Hawaii female toddler, Finley Boyle, age 3, who suffered from massive brain damage after she had a dental procedure in December has died, stated a member of hospice on Saturday. She passed away with all of her family surrounding her. That same family is in the process of suing the Hawaii dentist they allege did this to Finley, stating that she was negligent and performed dangerous conduct.

The lawsuit, which was placed against Lilly Geyer and her dental practice, states that she used improper medications and had the wrong dosages, which were given to Finley Boyle on Dec. 3, stated court documents filed this past week. As both direct and also proximate results of the medications administered to Finley Boyle by defendants, Finley Boyle ended up suffering cardiac arrest during the dental procedure, stated the lawsuit.

It alleges that Finley was given a mixture of five different anesthetics and sedatives. They claim Dr. Geyer was unable to account for how these medications would end up reacting inside the young child’s body, and also that the dental medical staff was in no way prepared to handle such emergency conditions. When the dentist found Finley Boyle in her condition, she did not know how to revive the child and had to run down the hallway to get a pediatrician who knew how to perform CPR. It also alleges that because of the improper medications, Finley also suffered severe and permanent brain damage.

Dr. Geyer and her attorney, Hawaii lawyer John Nishimoto was neither one speaking to the public. Geyer’s website has stated that the dental office is now permanently closed. It is directing all patients to send mail to an e-mail address.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Hawaii’s First Circuit Court, alleges that Geyer had no plan in place to respond to medical emergencies, such as the one Finley suffered. It seeks unspecified damages.

Ashley Boyle, Finley’s mother, stated that she first took her daughter to see Dr. Geyer back in November of 2013. She was informed that her child would need four root canals and six fillings.

They went back to the dentist office in December of last year to have the root canals done, Boyle explained.

The parents also allege that Finley was left under sedation and unmonitored for over 25 minutes.

Finley’s pediatric doctor stated that the MRI’s done on the small child showed that she had suffered extreme brain damage and that she was now in a persistent vegetative state.

Finley Boyle ended up suffering from cardiac arrest, as was stated above, after she was given the dental procedure drugs in order to sedate her before she had the root canals. She was taken to a hospital, and then placed in a hospice center where a feeding tube was put in. This was in late December. After her parents learned that their daughter’s brain damage was permanent, they went ahead and decided to take Finley off of all life support.

This was because her parents did not believe that their daughter would want to live not knowing she was even alive, and suffering through terrible seizures, the Boyle family attorney, Rick Fried stated to the public. The parents stated that they did not want to see her have to go through puberty wearing diapers.

Ashley Boyle explained that all the doctors at the hospital where Finley was staying were in tears. Everyone was waiting for her for to wake up.

However this was not to be. All efforts used to revive the young child failed. Finley Boyle was declared dead at 8:47 p.m. after her feeding tubes were taken out. MRI’s that were done on her showed that a lack of oxygen to her brain was what ultimately caused her death.

What happened to Finley has been called a horrendous screw up. Most of the dental work that Geyer prescribed for Boyle was at no charge. But what a real cost it has been to the Boyle family.

The Hawaii toddler, Finley Boyle, who suffered from massive brain damage, has died. She passed away with all of her family surrounding her.

By Kimberly Ruble


The Huffington Post


International Business Times