Johnny Depp and Amber Heard’s engagement has kept the tabloids abuzz. Depp, 50, has been seen with Amber Heard, 27, most recently at a gala in Los Angeles. They have been spending time together since his split from French singer-actress Vanessa Paradis. The pair was first rumored as a couple back in June 2012, subsequent to the wrap-up of filming The Rum Diary in 2011. Rumors have swirled since Christmas 2013, but now Heard has gone public wearing a huge diamond on her finger. Though her work consists of a slew of successful movies, many people are not familiar with Johnny Depp’s new love interest.
Here are 7 things to know about Depp’s lady love-
- Amber Heard is an American actress and model. Active in her high school drama department, she had small roles in tv and music videos such as The O.C. and There goes My Life by Kenny Chesney. She got her start in the film, Friday Night Lights in 2004. Then in 2006 with All The Boys Love Mandi Lane at the Toronto Film Festival. She has enjoyed roles in films such as Drop Dead Sexy, Alpha Dog, Pineapple Express, Zombieland, Machete Kills, Paranoia and of course, The Rum Diary with Johnny Depp.
- She experienced personal tragedy at age 16. After the death of her best friend in a car accident, Heard no longer believed in God. Influenced by the writings of George Orwell and Ayn Rand, she became an avowed atheist.
- At 17, she had an opportunity to model, so she moved to New York City. There she worked as a “fitting model” for clothing labels, but it was just a transitional role until Heard relocated to Los Angeles to follow an acting career. Initially, she was preoccupied with modeling and had thought it was the easier avenue to take in order to travel and “get out of my hometown” but her father encouraged her to take acting classes.
- Heard sports a red tattoo on her left side from a quote by Chilean author Pablo Neruda’s Sonet. It speaks of love similar to life not being fully defined, “between the shadow and the soul.”
- While Depp is not a licensed gun owner, he is no stranger to guns, shooting cans and bottles when he was younger, a skill he wants to teach his own kids. Heard is a huge fan. A native Texan, she grew up around guns. In fact, she owns a .357 Magnum and several others. Fully trained, and an active member of a gun club, she keeps her gun “close enough” so should she need it, she can protect herself.
- She’s public about her sexuality. Well-known for “coming out” at GLAAD’s 25th anniversary celebration in 2010 about her relationship with photographer, Tasya van Ree. In response to the hype, Heard said that she chose to “lift the veil of ambiguity.” She went on to say that, she has had positive relationships with both sexes. Not wanting to be labeled with any sexual identity, she has expressed that it is not about gender, but it is whom the person is that matters.
- Depp was first spotted at a Los Angeles Rolling Stones concert holding hands with Heard. The pair was most recently seen at Los Angeles’ The Art of Elysium’s 7th Annual Heaven Gala on January 11, 2014.
As the publicity of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard’s engagement rumors swirl, unless they escape to Johnny’s private island in the Caribbean, more details about his lady love will become public.
by Dawn Levesque