Microsoft Corporation Will Unveil Windows Nine

replacement picture for persephone

It’s been hinted that Microsoft Corporation will unveil Windows Nine in the near future. Widespread complaints about Windows 8  have been rampant since it was released.  User unhappiness has been expressed on the lack of a start button, the unhandy desktop vs tablet mode, the seemingly inaccessible settings, the lack of an obvious way of closing programs, and a too complex keyboard. One way to clear the bad air due to the problems is to remove any association of the number 8 in Windows 8 by launching a new number, the version Nine.

In an attempt to cure Windows 8, Microsoft released Windows 8.1 in the early fall of 2013 only to announce that another update would be available in the spring of 2014. The latest report is that by ditching the name Windows 8, Microsoft will unveil Windows Nine. Experts have pretty much agreed with each other that despite the upgrade to Windows 8.1, Windows 8 was in general a setback for Microsoft.

Windows NIne

Recent charts show that the computer market slowed down a great deal in the past year, indicating a significant loss of revenue after Windows 8 was released with a huge amount of hype in 2012. Microsoft, in a move to control the damage cause by the ill reception of Windows 8, launched an advertising campaign which bloated their sales and marketing expenses to $1.4 billion. During the same period, Microsoft also financially suffered by the failure to grab a good hold in the tablet market with their Surface tablet while Apple retained a great deal of the tablet market selling $24 billion by summer of 2013. In the wrestling ring of the Apple versus Microsoft game, the Macs and iPads are doing very well, working their way safely into Microsoft’s traditional business market.

Microsoft’s Build 2014 Conference is set for April 2 – 4 in San Francisco. Registration for the conference starts this week on January 14. In addition to Windows 8 (perhaps listed as Windows Nine or also touted under the name “Threshold”), among the featured topics will the Windows Phone Blue, Xbox One, including a number of luxury new games; the new Surface Mini, a modern version of Office code-named Gemini, and Visual Studio. The recent acquisition of Nokkia may mean some added information about a new product line of handsets will be offered at the conference. The revealing of the new CEO of Microsoft since the stepping down of Steve Ballmer in 2013 could even be in the cards, as there has been no official announcement yet except that a replacement is expected to be found by the summer of 2014.

The hybrid desktop and tablet system of  Windows 8 is rumored to be a blip in the past as Windows Nine is being targeted to provide  improvements over three important development points.  The exact details of the apps to be added and changes to be made are not yet disclosed.  However, one definite feature will be a renewed user interface that will be friendlier to Microsoft customers.  Hopefully Microsoft’s unveiling of  Windows Nine will restore the public’s faith in the product, but it won’t be out on the market until 2015.

By Persephone Abbott

The Business Insider
Game Spot
CNet
The Verge
The Next Web
4Traders

11 Responses to "Microsoft Corporation Will Unveil Windows Nine"

1. zanzibar   March 4, 2014 at 9:14 am

Windows 9 will be no gem either. I’m still aghast that W8 takes some 16 to 20 Gigs of disk space to install. That’s some sloppy software, tons of “dead code”. In fact a world record install size for PCs I believe. By the time W9 releases Microsoft will have permanently lost a percentage of customers to Apple and Linux.

2. Nilesh   January 16, 2014 at 10:27 am

Interestingly Microsoft share prices are going up after 8.1 .
    Does it say something Mr Author.

• James   January 21, 2014 at 1:29 pm

HP says they are installing Win7 by popular demand. They struggle to sell products with Win8. Probably because of the enhance NSA back doors.

3. Jeremy Smith   January 15, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I hate to say it, but after years as a Windows zealot, I’ve finally had my fill. While I used to buy every version first day with great anticpation, I’ve found that when I’ve got around to the recent updates I’m left feeling like this isn’t my world anymore.

I’ve had an iPhone for 6 months and am finding it fun to use. And, given my kids use a Mac at school….yup, I’m going to get a Mac as my Dell has seen it’s best days . It will be hard to lay down the cash (not sure which one I’ll get), but part of me is honestly excited to learn something new. Don’t hate me, but I think it’s time.

4. William   January 15, 2014 at 8:15 am

Windows 8 has been the most stable operating system I’ve ever used. While it took a couple days to feel fully comfortable with the lack of a start button (use the keyboard Windows key — you’ll be amazed at the time you’ll save), I wouldn’t trade the OS for any other.

The tone of the article is a few years behind reality. I’ll be interested in Windows 9, but am fully comfortable with Windows 8 in the interim.

5. lou foltzer   January 14, 2014 at 9:21 pm

I miss Office 2003;hate ribbons, want menus restored. access to multiple virtual OS systems, to include android, UMBUNTU and others.

6. Alison Reed.   January 14, 2014 at 4:19 pm

@ Mike A. & Billy Bob. Whether people are “stupid and lazy” is ultimately irrelevant. Microsoft produced a product people did not want. Whether they are not intelligent, sophisticated or active enough to want to learn a new OS does not matter. What matters is whether people are willing to adopt it or not, and the answer has been pretty clear. You can argue whether Windows 8.x is a good OS or not and in the end it will be rather subjective. What is not subjective is the fact that in 15 months, the OS has barely managed to earn 10% of market share, including TWO xmas seasons. Xmas season of 2012 and 2013. People are so poisoned against Windows 8, that many customers refuse to give Windows 8.1 a try, even though virtually everyone has stated it is an improvement over 8.

You two might like 8/8.1 and that is fine, but to pretending like the OS was a success and that the world is wrong for not liking it is simply childish. Some people did not like metro and based on the slow adoption rate and simple view people have of Windows 8/8.1 most people did not like it either. As for it being worth it on a touch screen PC, i disagree, i have a 24 inch samsung touch screen at work, and ran Windows 8.1 enterprise. It took me 1.5 hours to get everything customized to where it was usable, and yeah for the first couple of days, using the touchscreen was fun, but after those two days, i used the touchscreen less and less, the keyboard and mouse are far more efficient than kneeling over my desk to reach the monitor when i want to do something.
    Eventually i decided that the added speed was not worth the constant driver headaches and unfriendly control panel customization options and re installed a copy of Windows 7 instead.

Windows 8.x is a failure as a product, there is no denying that. To pretend it was not is asinine.

7. Mike A   January 14, 2014 at 10:51 am

Billy Bob – Right on I have a Dell with touch screen and I love it not to mention instant boot with my os installed on a solid state drive.
    It works pretty similar to my iPhone the only real disappointment at this time is that legacy applications office suite and the like are not embracing touch yet I think this an area where ms can do better than their competitors. It was had windows win the 1st time around , and apple be so successful this time. Content is King or in this case he who has the most “relevant and compelling” apps wins.

8. Billy Bob   January 14, 2014 at 10:36 am

It’s pretty clear the author has not used Windows 8/8.1. Seemingly inaccessible settings? The setting are easier than ever to find. You simply start typing the setting you’re looking for on the home screen and it finds it. I will say that Windows 8 is sort of a waste of an upgrade for anyone without a touchscreen, but on new hardware it’s awesome. You literally just need to take 5 minutes to learn some gestures and such, same as you would have to do on any device. People are so stupid and lazy.

• Nah   January 16, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Actually, it is your fault for failing to realize that stupid, lazy people (the majority) don’t suddenly get smart or motivated just by using your software. Just saying.

9. Vicki Lynn   January 14, 2014 at 6:47 am

If they can’t get it right with Windows 8.1, which is a total disaster of epic proportions, why should people put any faith into Windows 9?