Rockstar Games Punishes Cheaters on GTA Online

GTA V GTA 5 GTA Online Rockstar Games

GTA Online was down yesterday for a 24 hour period and is said to come back tonight. Rockstar has said that the 24 hour period will act as a time for necessary maintenance. What that likely means is that Rockstar is cracking down on cheaters that managed to illicitly gain GTA$. Has Rockstar gone too far by shutting down online servers or is it their duty to ensure everyone can enjoy the game as it is intended?

Rockstar Games announced that GTA Online would be down for a 24 hour period for maintenance. Rockstar is often making changes to GTA Online, but normally they don’t shut down GTA Online in order to do it. This time it may be necessary due to the grand scope of what they are trying to accomplish. Many players have been cheating to gain extra in-game money in GTA Online. So many have gotten so much money that they have been giving it to people who did not ask for it. Rockstar wants to punish these cheaters, but not the innocent by standards.

Some players received ill-gotten GTA$ without asking for it when they did not want it. Luckily, Rockstar is aware that this has been happening and plans to take that money without punishing those that got the money unexpectedly. “Anyone who innocently received GTA$ as a result of these exploits but did not engage in cheating to acquire it will not face any further action – the funds will just be removed, and you’ll be able to keep any items you currently own.”

For those that did not cheat, this probably sounds like good news. However, Rockstar intends to punish the cheaters who knowingly gained extra ill-gotten GTA$. What exactly will happen is currently a bit of a mystery. The penalties are up to Rockstar and seeing as GTA Online is still down cheaters likely haven’t seen their punishment yet. Rockstar says that punishment “may include being placed in isolated cheater pools or banned from GTA Online altogether.”

The rampant money scheming has been ruining the GTA Online experience for many, which is exactly what Rockstar does not want. Rockstar has a lot to deal with if they truly expect to remove all illegal in-game money in only a 24 hour period. With such a massive exploitation it is possible that some players will return to GTA Online and not notice a difference. It is also possible that old cheaters and new cheaters will try to once again gain ill-gotten GTA$. If you  see cheaters and want to help Rockstar return GTA V to former glory you can, pause your game, go to the online tab, and report individuals that are exploiting the game.

Rockstar Games has a plan to remove ill-gotten GTA$ and punish cheaters in GTA Online in order to return it and GTA V to former glory. The 24 hour maintenance period going on now is Rockstar’s attempt at removing such problems. The irony can not be ignored that a game about criminals is being plagued by cheaters trying to obtain extra money.

By Garrett Jutte

Sources

Rockstar Games

Kotaku

IGN

Gamespot

24 Responses to "Rockstar Games Punishes Cheaters on GTA Online"

1. louis   February 28, 2014 at 2:48 am

i just got to say this rockstar is gready and dont care about us they are making there money of f of us….do something for us once …..remember we made you who u are today

2. Boo   February 1, 2014 at 8:21 pm

if youre saying “someone should sue R*!!!” then why dont you do it?

3. PGWackiest   January 24, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I just spent all my money before the update, didn’t have much to be fair. No one was givin me any 😛 perhaps they didn’t like my haircut.

4. Jacob   January 18, 2014 at 11:19 pm

What the crap rockstar I killed 1 guy got 2 billion give me my money back

5. giorgos   January 18, 2014 at 11:05 am

THE GAME HAVE LOT OF FAN WITH SO MONEY BUT FC ROCKSTARS TOOK IT

6. Paco T.   January 17, 2014 at 8:09 am

It’s funny that I read somewhere that rockstar was working on punishing the exploiter’s in the game and the people that have been given great amounts of cash unwillingly would not be punished in anyway well guess what rockstar, not are you only a liar but, you are also a cheat and thief. Don’t punish the innocent people for your own programming mistakes! Give back what you robbed from the innocent players that built your company before they break you down!..

7. Troy   January 17, 2014 at 7:10 am

If you guys were smart you would of bought a bunch of Buggatti’s and saved them to your garage so that when they took away the money you could still sell the Buggatti’s to make back some of your lost cash. I bought four of them right before the servers went down for maintenance and had them fixed up to my level 46 and each one is worth $715,350 so times that by four and you get $2,861,400 plus they left me with like $300,000 K and I know for a fact that when I got the modded money from some guy I had no money in my bank/wallet, so Rockstar hooked me up for sure!!! I am glad that they had finally gotten rid of that modded money I had, don’t get me wrong it was awesome to receive the money and to spend it, but the game got boring really fast once you own everything and have bought every car in the game and fixed it up to your level. It would have been more fun if we had Mansions and larger garages and more customizable options for each so that spending the modded money would of been more fun. But over all Im glad that its all gone and when it was taken away I had about $1,299,999,999 and I had been spending it like crazy and there’s no way that I could of ever spent that much money.

8. jerry bogan   January 17, 2014 at 6:12 am

Wats the problem rockstar its just a game i worked hard for the money i had plus you started a war and now you should be sued i might not even purchase a game made. By you

9. tramposo rockstar   January 17, 2014 at 5:15 am

I know the real cheaters thats you ROCKSTAR. How are you going to take my money i woked hard for and give me what you think what i diserve. BS i have made over 1 milloin and you gave me 50k. Rockstar put my f***king money back. I dont think i am going to play any more.

10. keith   January 17, 2014 at 4:38 am

this is stupid, if they were going to shut the whole server down they should have at least added more, like how about finally giving us the option to perform heists. i did get a bounty that had 20 billion but it was fun being able to spend money all the time and not have to go do a job every 10 minutes. the whole money thing really wasnt that big of a problem it was just people were buying nicer things and many many people had billions. rockstar really let me down on this one

11. Albert   January 17, 2014 at 3:15 am

Bs rockstar i have worked hard for my money i want you to put my money back . All you left me with is 50k and that is bs. I am not the only one with this problem but, why take all the money i have worked hard for. You need to the money back.

12. john   January 16, 2014 at 9:12 pm

I received all my money when the game had problems in the beginning, rock star you suck balls for taking all my money only had like 1 million

13. pissedOff gamer   January 16, 2014 at 7:28 pm

BS I earned over 2mill in mission and races. They let me keep 34k…..Give us our money back…

14. David   January 16, 2014 at 7:17 pm

HELL YEAH YOU GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK ROCKSTAR!!!! IF YOU ARE GONNA TAKE MONEY FROM PEOPLE WHO EARNED IT HARD AS HELL THEN UR GONNA LOSE PLAYERS LIKE THAT…THEY ARE EITHER GONNA STOP PLAYING, TRADE IT IN, OR PLAY MAX PAYNE 3 LIKE ME…AND Y’ALL NEED TO CHECK FOR CHEATERS AND HACKERS ON MAX PAYNE 3 TO BEACUSE THAT GAME IS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL…GET ON UR JOB ROCKSTAR GET ON IT NOW!!!!!!

15. SL-RELOAD-SL   January 16, 2014 at 7:17 pm

so u got my money? or do i text every one i know and tell them the real cheaters work for ROCKSTAR GAMES? just give me my BOUNTY MONEY BACK PLEASE!

16. SL-RELOAD-SL   January 16, 2014 at 7:08 pm

3 BILLION!!!!!!!!

17. SL-RELOAD-SL   January 16, 2014 at 7:04 pm

3 BILLION!!!!!!!!! BOUNTY MONEY

18. SL-RELOAD-SL   January 16, 2014 at 7:01 pm

3 BILLION IT WAS BOUNTY MONEY. CHASED THAT PLAYER FOR 23 min. I WANT MY BOUNTY MONEY BACK ! SL-RELOAD-SL

19. SL-RELOAD-SL   January 16, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I WANT MY BOUNTY MONEY BACK PLEASE!

20. SL-RELOAD-SL   January 16, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I WANT MY BOUNTY MONEY BACK PLEASE! 3 BILLION!!!!!!!!!! I KILLED THAT PLAYER, I WANT MY MONEY BACK. I’M NOT A HACKER. i’m a BOUNTY HUNTER. SL-RELOAD-SL

21. Phillip   January 16, 2014 at 4:24 pm

That’s bull crop I earned o er 340k in the past four months the right way killed one player and go over 2million came on today and Rockstar pulled all my cask except for 55k Wtf I did nothing wrong

22. Frank   January 16, 2014 at 3:48 pm

This I BULLSH*t I hope someone sues pus for all the money we lost cause that’s crap and those healers should be banned but the people who got the money shouldn’t they got lucky I hope that everyone in rockstar sucks a dick

23. Christina   January 16, 2014 at 2:58 pm

The innocent were punished, money that was gained through playing missions was taken. It doesn’t appear that they did any of this for the greater good. What about people who are left with less than 100k and they had made over 1 million on their own? I sold a car in game and received over 400k for that alone, only to get on today and have 90k total when my missions had racked up over 1.5million not including the car.
    My experience has been ruined. Not because of people who “exploited” the game, but by people who complained because they wanted what those who had the money had.
    Its amazing to get online and find sessions with only 5 people playing because everyone was punished and aren’t playing now.
    Greed comes in so many forms, and it usually ruins everything.

24. zach   January 16, 2014 at 2:38 pm

But you Guys did punish the innocent bystanders because it took our money too that we earned and didnt cheat to get it and also I think you guys did go a little to far with it too