Vaping, Vape Pens and E-cigarettes a Healthier Wave of the Future

Vaping and e-cigarettes

Vaping, vape pens and e-cigarettes have become a healthier wave of the future. Across the country smokers are putting down their cigarettes and turning their backs on lung cancer, emphysema and heart disease for a cleaner, safer alternative to smoking. Cigarette users no longer want to smell of smoke, or to have their clothes, cars and houses covered with a thin sheen of nicotine-laced tobacco film. They no longer want to be forced to step outside in the middle of the winter just to grab a smoke, nor do they want to stand at least 500 feet from a public entrance or exit in order to feed their habit.

The Addictive Nature of Cigarettes

In the 1950’s and 60’s, smoking was a way of life. It was the social norm. A pregnant mom would happily light up a cigarette in the doctor’s office as he expressed his concerns about the baby’s low birth weight. A family on a trip traveled down the highway with the windows rolled up and cigarettes a-blazing, no one giving a second thought to little Johnny’s ongoing cough.

While the media toted cigarette smoking as dignified, powerful, distinguished and elegant, many consumers bought into the commercialized push and picked up their first pack of cigarettes. Figures like James Dean, Steve McQueen, Audrey Hepburn and Clark Gable fed into the desirable allure of smoking and millions were hooked.

Cigarettes not only provided a way for new smokers to emulate Hollywood’s heroes, the nicotine provided a sense of relaxation and stress relief. It travels to the brain quickly and elevates your heart rate and your mood. Once the drug has dissipated from the body, it begins to crave another cigarette, similar to addictive behavior in cocaine and heroin. Millions found themselves addicted to cigarettes.

And Now The Bad News

As millions of people were lighting up, blissfully unaware of the hazardous materials they were inhaling into their lungs, the Surgeon General began an extensive investigation on cigarettes and their long-term effects.

On Jan. 11,1964 the Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General stated smoking cigarettes increased the mortality rate of cigarette users 70 percent over non-smokers and estimated smokers on average increased their risk of lung cancer  to 10 times higher than no-smokers. The report also stated there were other health issues for smokers: chronic bronchitis, emphysema, heart disease and low birth weight babies.

While the report shocked the nation, what could smokers do? They were already addicted and, in many cases, quitting had proven to be impossible. After the Surgeon General’s report, the image of Hollywood’s elegant cigarette took a hit. Eventually, Hollywood began reducing the incidents of smoking in movies and television shows, marketing of cigarettes was scaled back due to lawsuits and the impression of smokers significantly changed.

Smoking is no longer seen as desirable; it is seen as a filthy habit. Smokers are now shunned, isolated from society, forced to go outside to smoke or corralled into a smoking lounge at an airport. What can they do? They fell for the media blitz and started smoking only to discover doing so has put them at a tremendous health risk, but thanks to the nicotine’s addictive nature they cannot stop.

Vaping and e-cigarettes, the wave of the future

Vaping, Vape pens and E-cigarettes a Healthier Wave of the Future

Vaping is the inhalation of a vapor, usually through a vape pen or e-cigarette. Alternative cigarettes have been a godsend to thousands of people as an alternative to smoking. Many smokers who have tried quitting with every product out there: patches, nicotine gum, and Chantix (an oral medication for nicotine addiction), have found a solution in vaping.

People who swapped traditional cigarettes for e-cigarettes have reported experiencing overall better health, easier breathing, better sleeping, and have even reported having better check-ups at the doctor.

Besides the obvious health benefits of vaping over smoking, vaping does not leave behind a smoky smell or a tobacco film, nor is there any emission of a noxious cloud of chemicals that could harm others, just a fine vapor which dissipates immediately. The e-liquid, a liquid form of nicotine that’s heated by an element found in vape pens and e-cigarettes, comes in a wide variety of flavors that users can enjoy.

Moreover, vaping is more socially acceptable than cigarette smoking, since the unpleasant issues associated with cigarette smoking have been eliminated: no smell, no mess, and no secondhand smoke issues. While several cities are trying to ban vaping everywhere that smoking is banned, it may be too late. Trends show vaping, vape pens and e-cigarettes are a healthier wave of the future.

Commentary By Deborah Baran

Source

National Library of Medicine

12 Responses to "Vaping, Vape Pens and E-cigarettes a Healthier Wave of the Future"

1. Chris   February 11, 2015 at 8:37 am

Stay inside. There are always noxious odors. Cologne, perfume, body odor, Kim chee. No one bans any of that stuff. Smokers need a healthier alternative to help subside and ultimately rid them of the craving and health issues involved. If you don’t like the healthier, cleaner alternative, stay inside. I’m more concerned with my health then the offense of your nostrils.

2. Cwilson   June 27, 2014 at 11:50 pm

As time goes on there will certainly be negative health effects for vape pen users… Still getting the nicotine, cannibus, or whatever into your system. The concentration in ones blood stream is often more potent, as a result the health problems will come in a shorter time frame. Also,these vapors probably do have an effect on second hand bystanders…as the particles are finer and likely get deeper into the lungs… Not to mention the noxious odor of flavors which are very irritating to those with asthma and other lung conditions or allergies!!!! Needs to be banned in public !

3. Michael Carey   May 2, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I too have gone from smoking to a vape pen same flavor as my old cigarette brand and I will tell you I breathe easier sleep better and my appetite has increased slightly I dont intend on using it for ever I am currently stepping down in strength I’ve been smoking 20 years at two packs a day and I picked this up and forgot about cigarettes the research on these are use for five minutes like you smoke em like that no I can puff twice and not touch it again for two hours so I believe its a great alternative

4. ShrikeGuy   March 3, 2014 at 1:59 pm

My heart rate is much better when I cape compared to smoking.

5. Carrie Blanc   January 27, 2014 at 9:45 pm

There has always been a debate on the topic, if electronic cigarettes are better than normal cigarettes. There can be several parameters on which this aspect can be judged. The most important aspect for judging the difference is probably the health factor.

6. Tony Morgan   January 25, 2014 at 8:51 am

Thank you for sharing this informative article! Now I came to know that E Cigarette not only help me to quit smoking but also save my kids (second hand smokers) who also get prone to dreaded disease like cancer whenever I smoke in front of them. I will surely kick the butt of tobacco by replacing it with E cigarette!

7. Job   January 18, 2014 at 3:56 pm

E-cigarettes will save a lot of lives with regards to lung cancer and chronic lung disease like emphysema, provided it is the currently addicted smokers who quit. It may even help a segment of the population with early Alzheimer disease. Nicotine is still and addictive drug which has damaging effects upon the cardiovascular system as a potent vasoconstrictor and inducer of vascular hypertrophy independent of smoke inhalation however, and recent evidence also suggest it affects the aging process for the worse also independent of the method of administration. So if the trend is to addict a larger number of young people who would never have smoked, heart disease and hypertension rates will rise as well as early aging in that population.

8. Tod   January 16, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Where are sold?

9. Marci Holland   January 16, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Vaping saved my life.
    I smoked for 35 years and have tried everything to quit. I mean everything.
    I am 47 years old and started smoking at age 12.
    It ran rapid in my family!
    I picked up an Ecig Oct 1, 2012. That was the last day I ever smoked a cigarette.
    I was able to get off the supplemental oxygen in Dec 2012.
    I can breathe again!
    Everything tastes and smells better.
    My blood pressure has gone down and I have more energy as ever!
    And because of being able to have decent flavors and the Ecig of my choice to put in my mouth, I didn’t gain the usual 20+ pounds that every standard quitter does.
    I started vaping at 24 mg of nicotine and went at my own step down pace. I am now on the lowest (6mg) and real close to putting my ecig down completely for good 🙂
    The biggest thing is I was able to do it my way, so I was comfortable. No time limits or step downs until I was good and ready. Nor side effects from patches, gum, and Chantix.
    I am healthier and happier than I have been in years!
    I wish these were out when both my parents died of smoking related cancers!
    They would of been able to quit too!
    Vaping is a Life Saver!

10. Bob G.   January 15, 2014 at 10:10 pm

This isn’t a news article, it’s an advertisement for e-cigarettes. The cited source is the 1964 Surgeon General report and only concerns the dangers of cigarette smoking; there is nothing cited to support the author’s positive claims about “vaping”. In addition, the overall writing style is junior high school level. The bias and writing quality of this piece do not seem to fit with this website’s statement of purpose.

• Bob G.   January 15, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I apologize… did not see that this was posted as “opinion”. Would still like to see the author cite sources for stated claims about “vaping”.

11. Deborah Baran   January 15, 2014 at 8:23 pm

This seems to be a fantastic alternative to smoking!