An Open Letter to American Idol Judges Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick, Jr.

Lopez

Dear Ms. Lopez and Mr. Connick Jr.,

Last night, I watched an episode of American Idol, during which contestant Keith London came up to sing in front of you. The song he chose was “If I Were a Boy,” by Beyoncé. Ms. Lopez, you looked immediately annoyed, turned to Mr. Connick Jr. and said “He’s singing if I were a boy. Do you hear that?” Mr. Connick Jr. whispered “It’s bizarre,” and you both nodded in agreement.

You then proceeded to complain about the song choice and question if London was trying to be “cute.” Ms. Lopez, you looked particularly disgusted. After rudely talking through London’s entire performance, you criticized his song choice and asked him why he selected it.

He looked stunned, and replied that he had a very good reason for singing the song. He also looked as if he were on the verge of tears before you asked him to sing something else. He then sang a few bars of “Same Love.”

Ms. Lopez and Mr. Connick Jr., I am still reeling over your reaction to London’s song choice. Did it ever occur to you that maybe Mr. London  a.) Is part of the transgender community, b.) Has a loved one within the transgender community, c.) Is struggling with his own gender identity and/or sexuality or d.) Has some other compelling reason to sing that particular song?

People’s internal gender identities do not always match their outward appearance, and I would have thought you both would know that by now. I thought you would be sensitive to the possibilities listed above.

I have no idea which letter is true, nor does it matter. What matters is the fact that your reaction was akin to a strange walk backwards in time. In the modern era, gender identity is not something set in stone for many people. In fact it was never set in stone at all for some, but in current times, people feel more comfortable expressing their questions or concrete feelings about their internal identities, and they feel more comfortable speaking out in support of their loved ones who have been through gender identity struggles or transitions.

The fact that London chose to sing “Same Love” after your, quite frankly, rude outburst, tells me that he may have some connection to the LGBT community; a community currently facing massive challenges as the people within it struggle for equal rights and the ability to express their authentic selves whether that expression happens in private moments, walking down the street or an American Idol stage.

Even if London has no connection to the LGBT community at all; what right do you have to say his song choice was wrong simply because the lyrics didn’t happen to match his outward appearance? What rule says that the lyrics to each song must match each contestant’s outward appearance, exactly?

I am disappointed in your close-mindedness, your strict adherence to antiquated gender rules and your unkind attitude toward London. I have no idea if anyone besides me picked up on the moment, but it was a moment that spoke volumes about how far LGBT people still have to go, and that’s sad.

I expected better from you, Ms. Lopez and Mr. Connick Jr. You’re in a position where sometimes, people show you who they really are, and you need to believe them.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Savastio

15 Responses to "An Open Letter to American Idol Judges Jennifer Lopez and Harry Connick, Jr."

1. BOB SCUCCI   March 13, 2014 at 11:33 pm

HARRY , TELL THEM THE STORY WHEN YOU TOOK WAITER FROM SAN DIEGO TO SEE SINATRA, THEN CABBIE TOLD YOU THERE IS ANOTHER GUY THAT WILL TAKE SINATRA’S PLACE. YOU ANSWERED , I AM THE OTHER GUY.

2. Maria   March 6, 2014 at 7:11 pm

Watched watched Idol tonight. What a joke this is with the vote picking MK and dumping Emily?? Please that is so bad and then Harry Connick is such a bigot and intolerant and hateful!! Of all the contestants left Emily was the only one that should have been saved but no Old Harry just had to put his two cents worth. He is worthless!!!!

3. Lynn Stark   February 20, 2014 at 9:09 pm

This is the last night I will watch idol this was a joke those 4 black men that was left on the bench and the ones the judges choose was a joke. Those guys was better than anyone of those guys and the black girl who sung for a spot she beat both of these girls. Jennifer you’re a joke and harry you’re really a joke. American idol has a poor judge selection. I will post this on twitter facebook and all the other social network. The voice is a better show. American The Joke Idol

4. Jeanie   February 11, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Jennifer, you’ve lost your touch … you’re looking tired!! Harry, you with the crooked smile… Did you know your face is not symmetrical? You two are awful judges this year!! Not sure I can continue to watch!!

5. John   February 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm

I had the same feeling to Lopez and Connick’s reaction to Keith on Feb. 6. I wasn’t sure if I heard it right or not but suddenly realized that I was watching some real time intolerance on national tv. I’m not sure those two judges realize what they’ve done but it cannot be walked back in my opinion. Apology or not we now know the real feelings those two judges have about the LGBTQ community.
    ( Also, I didn’t like the way Connick picked up the Indian man who sang “Stand by me”. I felt like he was making fun of him.)
    Actions speak louder than words.

6. Maria maroun   February 8, 2014 at 11:30 am

Keiths not trans, I know him and he is gay. However it was rude and appalling for the judges to react that way. Music isn’t about gender it’s about soul. For a man to sing a woman’s song and vise versa is nothing out of the ordinary. GET OVER IT

7. JPCABO   February 7, 2014 at 7:17 am

Great Post. I was shocked . He/She deserves an apology from those two things ( Jlo and Connick Jr).

8. d   February 7, 2014 at 4:14 am

Great post. Of course, bigots don’t CHOOSE to understand. Whatever.After being highly bigoted towards KEITH LONDON on Wednesday’s show over his singing If I Were A Boy, calling it “trying to be cute”, “it’s weird”, and, “I don’t like him doing that”, the judges don’t put him through Thursday. The level of IGNORANCE on LGBT self-awareness in a contestant was painful to watch from Harry and Jenni Lopez. I pray they stop humiliating gay kids.

9. Nate Vernier   February 7, 2014 at 1:45 am

@Don’t judge: Actually, they can judge him. They’re the judges.
    Full disclosure, I didn’t watch last night. Further disclosure, I am an active member of the LGBT community.
    It’s a singing contest. They are, as others have stated, judged on song choice, performance, etc. It is also a platform for the paid advertisers (See Coca-Cola) and NOT a platform for every contestant’s personal politics.

10. Gianni   February 6, 2014 at 10:01 pm

They’re contestants, they will be judged based on their performance, vocals, song choice, etc. It’s a competition! The judges didn’t particularly like his performance, they were kind enough to give him a second shot. Everything they do on stage will be judged. J.Lo is clearly an ally to the LGBT community. No one should doubt that!

11. willy   February 6, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I did not see the show, but from the letter that I read from this idiot, there are other contestants that experience these occasions.The gay and lesbians are reallygoing too far now, get a life.

12. sharon   February 6, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I soooo respect Harry Connick! My daughter is a professional vocalist and I have sat through more vocal lessons than you can imagine. Harry is Right-On with his evaluations of the vocalists. Thanks so much for joining American Idol

13. godskullob   February 6, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Everyone has their own opinion! If Jennifer and Harry dislike people who change their gender so be it! They’re freaks anyways!!!

• dont judge   February 6, 2014 at 8:18 pm

that does not give them the right to rudely talk through someone’s brave preformance nor does it mean they can judge them.

14. Clouds   February 6, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Excellent article totally agree with everything here. Looking at both of them last night made me almost switch the channel. He stood his Ground and did not apologize and he did very good.Screw them both. They are both small minded and i really don’t even care for them but what they told him it was out of place and so very low