Morgellons Disease What Is It Really?

Morgellons

A subject many health care professionals do not want to talk about is the infamous Morgellons Disease.  This is a controversial subject because there are several different sides to the issue.  A question has been on the minds of thousands, maybe millions of people; what is Morgellons Disease really?  In 2008, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) performed a study in California after a localized “outbreak” was thought to have occurred.  Over the years and many months since, the literature on Morgellons disease has changed, including the rising numbers of self-diagnosed Morgellons sufferers who do not believe the CDC study was sufficient.

The CDC.gov article on the “background and summary” of the study conducted for this condition notes that “this website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated.” The condition that people around the world call Morgellons Disease is referred to here as “unexplained apparent dermopathy.’  The institutes reported to be involved with the CDC in the 2008 study were Kaiser Permanente of Northern California, a nameless health plan in the area where many possible cases had been reported, and the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology.

The official study has been published on PLOS  one, an international, peer-reviewed, open-access, online publication.  The methods that were used: collection of epidemiological data, clinical evaluations, geographic spatial analysis, and analysis of samples from skin of the patients.

The results identified a prevalence of 3.65 cases per 100,000.  The subjects were found to have a median age of 52 years, were primarily female (seventy-seven percent), and Caucasian (also seventy-seven percent). Complaints consisted of chronic fatigue, generally poor health, and crawling sensations beneath the skin which are sometimes called Formication in the medical community. The researchers reported detection of somatic complaints and cognitive deficits. Additionally, drugs were found in hair samples (fifty percent). Examples include drugs from the amphetamine class, barbiturate class, benzodiazepine class, recreational drugs, as well as phencyclidines, and propoxyphenes. Hair samples were tested with HairConfirm by Craig Medical Distribution, Inc., Vista CA.

The conclusion of the study: Though rare, the condition is associated with reduced health-related quality of life. No common underlying medical condition or infectious agent was identified.

The outcome of this case caused a wave of criticism and statements of hopelessness among online groups and forums.  Many sufferers claim this is an illness that causes some cancers, other illnesses, and even death.  Some believers of the Morgellons Disease find that the cause might be related to “chemtrails.” Other speculations include the belief that the disease was a manufactured bioweapon, a product of nanotechnology, an effect of GMOs (genetically modified organisms), an outcome of synthetic fiber processes (used in the clothing industry), agrobacteria that is seen in trees(believed now affecting humans), or bio-insecticides.

Outside of psychiatry, the CDC conclusion does not give a concrete direction or answer to the individuals seeking medical help.  On the opposite side of the controversy, however,  is one doctor who has attempted to reach out and explain the condition of what Morgellons Disease really is on a medical level to other practitioners.  The letter was written in 2006 and remains available to the public at Oklahoma State University’s website.

Written by Randy S. Wymore, Ph.D Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, and Ronda Casey, D.O. Department of Pediatrics Center for Health Sciences Tulsa, Oklahoma,  the letter, headed “Dear Practitioner,”  describes how the doctors at this institute have ruled out delusional parasitosis as an explanation for Morgellons Disease due to unique characteristics and clinical findings.  The lesions are distinct, poorly healing with membranous scarring after healing; moderate to extreme “pruritis” at sites of lesions as well as at sites skin had not yet erupted.  Under microscopic analysis, the fibers that were originally assumed to be objects of textile nature, are the same fibers seen in deep tissue biopsy. Additionally, patients do not respond to anti-psychotics as is seen in patients with delusional parasitosis; new lesions will continue to appear after the “complete cessation of manual excoriation,” or once the patient completely stops picking at the lesion, in any way. This was the prominent assumption made by researchers around 2008, and still to this day, that the lesions are associated with scratching and manual excoriation.

The researchers at Oklahoma State wish to convey to all practitioners that patients should not be presumed psychologically ill; they will appear “skeptical,” “anxious,” and “agitated,” most likely due to living with a chronic disease that has distressful “symptoms,” no known cause and no cure.  What Morgellons Disease really is, is a question still up for debate, but the population claiming to be suffering with the illness might find it hard to accept what they are experiencing is purely psychological.

By Lindsey Alexander

Oklahoma State University
Center for Disease Control and Prevention
PLOS One
WebMD
Morgellon’s Research

17 Responses to Morgellons Disease What Is It Really?

1. robin hooker April 16, 2014 at 1:39 am

Hey Ya’ll, It’s Robin in Alabama …it’s been a bit, just wondering, did I say something wrong?

I speak from heart only,…honestly…I can’t speak/talk much, I have ”Speech Affective Disorder”, it’s like ‘dyslexia of the mouth’. A neuro complication of this disease. And, feel like ‘really bad s**t’, right now…

Oh well, if I did something wrong, do…yes mam’ please, let me know, if I was censored.

Blessings,
    Robin
    Lost Creek, Alabama

2. don mau March 12, 2014 at 2:07 am

Annie Newcomb

When I click On your name I find you are promoting Nutra Silver. This is the single worst course of action anyone can take. At 3600 ppm of raw silver it is highly toxic and only introduces another negative aspect to the sufferers problems. It is a primitive form of silver as it is just silver particles dropped in water.

Just attacking microbes is a reckless course of action and your product will result in out of control cytokine cascades and doesn’t do anything in functional medicine to rebuild body systems.

There is a form of silver that is safe , it is 10 P.P.M and in a patented process using 10,000 volts a new molecule is created where the silver is surrounded by water so the actual silver never touches tissue. It instead is given a charge in the patented process and the charge seeks an opposite charge in the peptide bond of amino acids in the bacterial cell wall then killing the bacteria. It is why I use it in my protocol.

Still when you understand that the body is complex and all the body systems work together then a holistic approach is what is required that supports and enlists all body systems in recovery.

It about a lot more than just putting something in your mouth that will kill the bugs. It requires some understanding and an investment in research that clearly you have not done.

• Annie Newcombe March 25, 2014 at 7:57 pm

don mau:
      Silver is not a dietary requirement for humans. The body of an adult contains approximately 2 mg of silver. Our daily intake of silver is 20-80 mg, of which approximately 10% is absorbed. These amounts are not health threatening. In larger amounts, some silver compounds may be toxic, because silver ions have a high affinity for sulphur hydryl and amino groups, and therefore complexion with amino acids, nucleic acids and other compounds occurs in the body. We knew the mechanism of toxicity, so we also knew a number of detoxification methods. The toxic mechanism is relatively small at ORAL UPTAKE, because of the LOW ABSORPTION CAPACITY of the body for silver. 3600 ppm is what Nutrasilver uses because the majority of our customers are trying to work through some severe illnesses that require higher potencies. Should you decide to NutraSilver’s potency is too high, you can always diluted with distilled water. It is interesting to note that one 1 ounce bottle of NutraSilver will produce 46.8 ounce bottles of 10 ppm silver. This is what makes NutraSilver such a wonderfully economic purchase.

3. Annie Newcomb March 11, 2014 at 8:51 pm

A debate? It really is. We don’t even know whom to believe. Everybody is afraid to make a step because if we done wrong, instead of treating this peculiar disease, we just jeopardized our lives. Money is the number one factor to get rid of this. But what will be its purpose when we don’t know what we really need to do.

4. don mau March 11, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Hilaria;

As an after thought to my responce i would like to say that the vector for your likely bacterial infection was either a pet, another person or an insect bite. These are all capable of transferring these infections.

The infections can survive longer in organic material like pet dander and something that helps to illiminate them quicker in the environment is a dehumidifier , then they dry up quicker and die.

~d

5. Hilaria OLeary March 10, 2014 at 12:16 am

Until last week I did not have any idea of Morgellons Disease. I thought I have bed bugs in my home, and I changed three mattress and throw away 3 pieces of furniture, to realize that the bugs were living in my body.
    I went to my doctor, an she told me I scratched my back. Then she send me to dermatologist last Friday, that told me, the samples I took were “textile fibers”. I got really offended, but I did not say a word, I return home and started to look in internet for my symptoms. I see the black dot in my sheets, and I also see some small bright thing in my clothes when I wake up, that sometimes jump, sometimes does not move and the small pieces of fiber that I took as sample to the doctor office.
    I am a 63 year old female, have hypothyroidism, I am a blonde/blue eyes Latina of full European ancestry, from South America, so I guess, I am part of the Morgellons profile. (white, 55+ female)
    I never have mental problems, I am not a depressive person, I never took drugs, and I do not drink.
    Some people told me cotton is infected, I bought several times some unexpensive cotton underwear from Pakistan and China. A friend told me maybe the air condition needs some cleaning and I am getting mites in the air.
    I understood that my doctor, will not help me. So, I am taking daily baths with vinegar, an bacterial soap, and water peroxide in the water. I try to stay in the tube as long as I can. I
    bought 2 plastic covers for my mattres (one over the other) and 1 for the boxspring. I sleep over the plastic cover of my mattress (wash every day) and over the plastic pillow case, I do not sleep over my sheets. So, I am feeling better.
    How is possible that people around the world suffer the same “delusion”, if they do not speak the same language, and some people do not have accesses to internet?

6. don mau February 22, 2014 at 8:35 am

“Patricia”

Here is a picture of skin lesions caused by bacillary angiomatosis from a Bartonella infection. These lesions must have looked very similar to your Morgellons lesions.

It’s amazing to me that your Morgellons lesions went away by throwing out your couch and spraying CEDARCIDE on everything. BTW what is your position in the CEDARCIDE company?

7. Patricia February 20, 2014 at 8:04 am

Wanda ~ I feel your pain. I went through this as well. Luckily my partner was also ‘infested’. We suffered beyond imagination for about a year. And finally kicked it. Got rid of all our belongings, moved to a beach for a month so we could swim in the salt water, and did recover. I think you are right about the mold… CEDARCIDE is the bomb, for anyone still suffering. And treating your animals.

8. mariepalac February 19, 2014 at 5:05 am

My name is Marie Palac from Sweden, this video´s is pictures,intervjue, of me “how it looks” and if nobody can see the changes..I wonder who is delusional?! Today I wonder why doctors and more, denied, ignore, and let all of us who suffer take care of our self, and be our own “doctor, science, study, gives information and facts, etc” instead of help us?? Love Peace and Understanding

9. nancy egger February 18, 2014 at 11:49 am

Lindsay, you should come to the CHEF Morgellons disease conference in Austin this March 29/30. You can listen to the medical experts, meet all of us normal people who have suffered from this disease, and get yourself educated.

10. don mau February 18, 2014 at 3:51 am

“Lauren”;

I doubt seriously if you have even read my material. Dr Alan Macdonald has shown the Lyme community the importance of biofilms through his research. I’m presenting several thing including the knowledge that Bartonella creates angiogenic tumors in the endothelial cells as a rule and these tumors sequester pathogens. Bartonella, as a transgenic pathogen is really the issue here not Borrielia, The Borrielia infection will be much easier to remove without the presence of Bart. This is a major factor in Bartonella infections and Morgellons disease.

You can always go to my website and review the material and then go check it independently . I invite you too please, then you can contact me if you like and we can discuss it. I promise not to tell you to screw off.

Cindy likes to talk about the new CEHF research but in reality compared with what is really going on that research should have been completed years ago, it doesn’t really have much to do the MD pathogen either. It shouldn’t be hard to look at a lesion on someone and suspect bacteria. The conference is supposed to be something to give MD sufferers hope instead you get a student presentation by Cheryl Bandoski including Heliobacter Pylori being found in MD patients. Do you know half of the world is infected with Heliobacter?

I feel like if the CEHF had some real leadership it could have actually accomplished something. It is staarting to move over into the nonsense category like the M.R.G.. How sad it is for the people involved in fighting this on a day to day basis.

I cured myself, you can too.

11. lauren February 15, 2014 at 5:29 am

Screw off, Don. You are still peddling your stupid theory that has no evidence, nor are you a scientist. You are a psycho con-man and you have been exposed.

12. don mau February 13, 2014 at 1:47 pm

The CEHF only puts out information that they have developed so in a way they suppress a lot of the real info. For them it is about who is right.

13. marilyn Furbeck February 13, 2014 at 9:21 am

3 years of suffering and losses,intolerable pain,my life and thousands of others people’s lives destroyed and this Disease is still up for debate?Wow,Really!!!!!!!!!!

14. Wanda February 12, 2014 at 4:55 pm

I don’t know about the research but I know it happened to me, and it was the most horrific and unbelievable experience of my life. I even thought I was crazy at times..all my roommates did. Thank God I got rid of it by using the remedies posted from others who were or had been through it themselves. I am almost sure it was caused by mold but I will never know for sure.

15. Anne Dill February 12, 2014 at 4:22 pm

regurgitation is the word I find appropriate. I can’t believe somebody can’t think of new words to write about this horrible condition that is taking away my child’s ability to walk normal. Idopathic Is another famous word the physicians like to use. I have to figure out the pathagen involved by myself. W
    hat do I do with that information This is not fair. my conclusion is that nobody really wants to know what has caused such tragedy for all these people. While you all have played your political games my daughter suffers daily with idopathic polyneuropathy.

16. Cindy Casey Holman, RN February 12, 2014 at 10:58 am

Curious as to why this author makes no mention of peer reviewed research publications on this topic easily accessible through a quick PubMed search and available on multiple advocacy sites including the reputable and credible Charles E. Holman Foundation website. http://www.thecehf.org/morgellons-disease-research.html
    This piece appears to be a regurgitation of some very outdated information on this topic. How does a journalist ignore the current medical literature on a controversial topic such as Morgellons Disease?

We will read your comment immediately so leave a remark!

RSS Guardian Express

• NBA Playoffs Houston Rockets vs Portland Trail Blazers Preview April 19, 2014
    If star players are what NBA fans want to see in the playoffs, the upcoming series between the Houston Rockets and the Portland Trail Blazers is going to deliver. The two teams had four all-stars between them, and a number of other big name players. Houston edged out Portland for the four seed and home […]
    Brian Moore
  • Students Pitch Moon Colony Plan to NASA, Has Potential April 19, 2014
    On Thursday this week, a group of 40 senior students from Purdue University, presented their moon colonization plans to a very full room. Listening in were a few of NASA’s administrators, eager to collect ideas and provide feedback. Ever since scientists and aeronautics professionals have looked further into the possibility of sustaining human life outside [
    Brad Johnson
  • NBA Playoffs Dominated by Western Conference April 19, 2014
    This NBA season the Western Conference has proven to be more dominant than the Eastern Conference, as the lowest seeded playoff team in the West has a better record than the third seeded team in the East. This story has been a common theme in the NBA playoff picture for the past 15 years thanks […]
    Eric Kummel
  • Green Bay Packers Singles Can Now Find Love [Satire] April 19, 2014
    Fans of the Green Bay Packers can now find love anywhere thanks to the latest dating web site, GreenBayPackerLovers.com. Cheese head singles looking for the love of a significant other who also who is a Green Bay Packer fan finally have a place to go. Obviously this was long overdue. Of course some would argue Wisconsin is […]
    Mick Varner
  • Separatists Reject Ukraine Deal, Will Not Evacuate Government Buildings April 19, 2014
    The US, Russian, Ukraine and the European Union came to an agreement on Thursday in Geneva, Switzerland to put an end to the crisis in Ukraine. The agreement  calls for the pro-Russian separatists to evacuate occupied government buildings and lay down their arms. It also calls for the interim Ukrainian government to restructure its current […]
    Nathaniel Pownell