Woody Allen Molestation Claims: Alec Baldwin and Cate Blanchett Respond

Woody Allen molestation claims Alec Baldwin and Cate Blanchett Respond

Woody Allen recently defended himself against allegations made by Dylan Farrow – the star’s formerly adopted daughter. The illustrious American actor, director and author continued to deny Farrow’s vehement, and longstanding, assertion that he sexually molested her when she was merely seven years of age. A number of high-profile stars have also publicly talked about the situation, including Alex Baldwin, Cate Blanchett and Barbara Walters.

Allen recently described Farrow’s claims as “untrue and disgraceful,” and expressed his intention to fight to clear his name, once more. The Annie Hall director’s publicist indicated that Allen had read the open letter that Farrow had fashioned, which was recently published by The New York Times on Saturday. In response, Allen is said to have stated that the contents of the article were incorrect and “disgraceful.”

Dylan Farrow Woody Allen's previously adopted daughter
Dylan Farrow alleges that Woody Allen sexually assaulted her when she was seven years old.

The missive in question delves deeper into Farrow’s allegation that she was sexually assaulted, back in 1992 at their Connecticut home, and was penned in response to Allen being honored during the 2014 Golden Globe Awards. Farrow alleges that Allen escorted her “… into a dim, closet-like attic…” before instructing her to lay on her stomach and play with her brother’s train set; she then claims Allen sexually assaulted her.

At the time, Allen – then aged 56 – was engaging in an affair with Mia Farrow’s 19-year-old adopted daughter, Soon-Yi Previn. When Allen’s tumultuous, 12-year relationship with Mia Farrow came to an end, the abuse claims began to surface. In turn, the allegations fueled a protracted child custody battle, with Allen attempting to gain custody of their biological son, along with both adopted children. Allen and Previn later went on to marry, in 1997, and adopted two children.

In concluding her open letter, Dylan Farrow appears to criticize a number of actors who had previously starred in Allen’s long list of films – along with his fanbase – for turning a “blind eye.” She goes on to single out specific actors and actresses that appeared in the renowned director’s films, including the stars of Blue Jasmine – a critically acclaimed comedy-drama that tells the story of a wealthy woman falling into poverty. Diane Keaton, who accepted the Cecil. B. DeMille award on Allen’s behalf, was also condemned by Farrow:

“What if it had been your child, Cate Blanchett? Louis CK? Alec Baldwin? What if it had been you, Emma Stone? Or you, Scarlett Johansson? You knew me when I was a little girl, Diane Keaton. Have you forgotten me?”

According to E! Online, Blanchett was queried on the article while at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival, on Saturday. Referring to the ongoing situation as “painful” for the family, Blanchett expressed her desire to see resolution to the issue.

Meanwhile, Alec Baldwin was, somewhat, candid with his response, when asked about the subject through Twitter. Baldwin excoriated those who had raised the issue, asking “What the f–k is wrong w u that u think we all need to b commenting on this family’s personal struggle? [sic].” Baldwin then went on to indicate that there was no place for him, or any outsider, to discuss the family’s issues.

Lastly, on the Feb. 3 episode of The View, Barbara Walters spoke about the allegations made against Allen. Walters explained that she had rarely encountered a “… father as sensitive, as loving and as caring as Woody…” while co-host Sherri Shepherd said that it was not possible to truly know what happens behind closed doors.

Although the sexual assault claims brought forth against Allen were investigated, the film icon was never charged. At the time, specialists in the field of child abuse, based at Yale-New Haven Hospital, also became involved in the case and helped to evaluate the allegations. Ultimately, they judged that no sexual abuse had occurred. However, the original police investigation was heavily criticized when Frank S. Maco, the Litchfield County state attorney, stated there was probable cause to charge Allen; Maco indicated that Allen was not prosecuted, in part, because a trial could potentially traumatize the alleged victim.

In the wake of the controversial article’s publication, Allen’s legal team is said to have dismissed Dylan Farrow’s comments. Suggesting that Mia Farrow had planted false memories of sexual assault in Dylan’s mind, the legal team argues the controversial claims were fabricated by a “vengeful lover.” Characterizing Allen as a “predator,” Dylan Farrow maintains that Allen used his sexual relationship with her sister to “… cover up the abuse he inflicted” upon her. She also discussed how the alleged incident mentally affected her, stating that she developed an eating disorder and began self-harming.

By James Fenner

Sources:

The New York Times
Washington Post
E! Online
AceShowBiz
CNN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.