IQ Lower in Shorter People, Claim Scientists

IQ

Shorter people tend to have a lower IQ than their taller counterparts, according to research carried out by scientists in the United Kingdom. Researchers at Edinburgh University claimed to have uncovered a direct link between IQ and height, with results that suggested those who are shorter are on average likely to be of lower intelligence than taller people.

The study, which was carried out in partnership with scientists from Aberdeen University and University College London, is said to be the first to involve 6,800 unrelated people and to use DNA markers in this way. Previous studies on this subject used to base the link between intelligence and height on people who were related or on immediate family members.

The results of the study were based on data obtained from people who were recruited for the Scottish Family Health Study from 2006-2011. For the purposes of the research, IQ was measured by three key tests. One was based on the reaction time of individuals, another on their powers of recall and a third test on linguistic ability.

The results formed the basis of paper submitted to Behavior Genetics journal. It is claimed in the paper that close to 70 percent of the link between IQ and height is down to genetics and the remaining 30 percent was most likely related to environmental influences. It has often been claimed that shorter people have a lower IQ and this most recent claim by scientists will be further developed because they found other uses for the results of the study. Now that they are confident there is a link between IQ and height, the formula could help forecast a person’s health problems.

In the past, studies have claimed that the “Napoleon complex,” or short-man syndrome, does actually exist and is not just a loose term that has become popular with its usage. Scientists at Oxford University recently found that smaller people often feel scared, paranoid and distrustful when they come across different members of society.

It has also been suggested in the past that people who are healthier, both genetically and developmentally, grow taller and become more intelligent than people who are less healthy. Furthermore, some scientists or researchers who included health of volunteers in the findings found a link between being tall and heightened intelligence.

Back in 2006, research conducted by American institution Princeton University revealed that at the tender age of three, taller children produced better results in mental tests than children who were shorter in height.

As recently as 2013, researchers at the University of Colorado suggested that more intelligent people had a propensity to select taller people as partners. Meanwhile, experts at University of St Andrews and Stirling University made the claim that shorter women tended to focus more on starting a family than to be career-minded.

There have also been claims by scientists that smaller people are more likely to suffer from poor mental health than taller people. The latest bold claim is that shorter people have a lower IQ than their taller counterparts, yet the good news is the findings may be used to predict the future of a person’s health.

By Robert Shepherd

Sources:

The Scotsman

IBT

SundayTimes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.