Medical Marijuana: 5 Debilitating Illnesses It Can Help

Medical Marijuana

I think the medical uses for marijuana are absolute.
–Retired Neurosurgeon Dr. Thomas Carlstrom

Imagine living with a debilitating illness such as glaucoma, epilepsy, or multiple sclerosis.  You’re slowly losing your vision; you have spontaneous seizures all times of the day; muscle spasms and numbness plague your body. Your doctor’s best way to curtail these symptoms is medication for the rest of your life and physical therapy. Everyone should be entitled to a quality life without the aid of artificial drugs to keep their body chemistry in line. What if marijuana can be used medicinally to help treat the previous illnesses as well as arthritis, HIV and AIDS? Here are some afflictions that marijuana helps with.

1. Multiple Sclerosis

Multiple Sclerosis, commonly known as MS, is a neurological disease that affects the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerve. According to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, the disease is most prevalent with people in the 20-40 age group, although children and older adults develop it too. It’s not generally known how some develop it, but a few of symptoms are muscle weakness, spasticity, motor and vision loss. The article “Multiple Sclerosis” from Norml.org suggests that a study done in San Diego determined that”… inhaled cannabis significantly reduced objective measures of pain intensity and spasticity in patients with MS…”

2. Epilepsy

Epilepsy is a neurological disorder that induces seizures. Surgery and medication are often prescribed to those whose seizures are out of control. CNN reported the case of the Jordan Lyles, whose mother moved to Colorado after marijuana was legalized. Lyles was on seven different medications to curtail her seizures with no avail. However, taking marijuana in a liquid form reduced her seizures from “300 a week to two or three a month.”

3. Glaucoma

Glaucoma is the buildup of pressure in the eye that sometimes leads to blindness. Operations and laser surgery are viable for some, but that’s not always the case with others. Dave Smith of the International Business Times cites that studies in the 1970s show marijuana usage with glaucoma patients alleviated tension and pressure from their eyes.

4. HIV and AIDS patients.

Human Immunodeficiency Virus, or HIV, is a virus that attacks a person’s immune system. It’s often transmitted from the swapping of bodily fluids or blood such as engaging in unprotected sex or a blood transfusion. Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome, or AIDS, is the final stage of HIV. There is no cure for either one.  According to the Canadian AIDS Society, 14 to 37 percent of HIV and AIDS patients have used marijuana to help regain their appetite as well manage their weight, anxiety, pain, and to relax. It also helps relieve nausea and vomiting.

5. Arthritis

Arthritis is an autoimmune disease that stiffens a person’s joints (i.e. hips, hands, knees, neck, and back) and is accompanied by swelling and redness. According to Thomas C. Weiss’s article “Medical Marijuana for Arthritis” marijuana helps people cope with arthritic pain and tests have proven that medical marijuana loosens joints and increases mobility.

Marijuana is still a controversial topic, especially with the consequences of using it. There are just as many pros as cons. But, from the evidence above, when marijuana is used properly and in moderation, the outcomes can be beneficial.

By Arika Elizenberry

Canadian AIDS Society

Washington Times

National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

NORML

International Business Times

Disabled World

CNN

7 Responses to "Medical Marijuana: 5 Debilitating Illnesses It Can Help"

1. scott   March 13, 2014 at 2:55 am

Diseases of the Basal ganglia… Parkinson’s, Tourette Syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder,

2. A. Sickperson   March 11, 2014 at 6:49 pm

US-born college-educated hardworking etc etc ..Fell ill age 37 few years ago. Honestly, I cannot live without the painkilling and psychological motivation (whodathunk) it provides me daily. Oh, and since I registered in my state I can grow my own, it’s cheaper that way. BTW when I was healthy I had zero interest in the sociopolitical ramifications of medical cannabis, so I do get it, that the majority of people are misinformed or uninformed on this issue. But if you are one of those people- Hey, we do exist, the severely ill, and simply put, we need cannabis to survive and function as normally as possible.

3. A. Sickperson   March 11, 2014 at 6:44 pm

US born college educated hardworking etc but Fell ill age 37. I cannot live without the pain relief and psychological motivation of cannabis. And I now grow my own which is allowed in my state, its less expensive that way.

4. T Balizan   March 11, 2014 at 3:00 pm

You don’t have to smoke it!!! There are facilities in my state of Colorado who sell edible foods containing marijuana and there are sites online with directions as to how you can make your own edible treats. Some people even invest in contraptions which convert it into vapor and it doesn’t make you cough. Do more research and maybe you can find something that suits you. I personally have not tried it but I have a lot of people telling me maybe I should, including my dad who is a retired Baptist preacher. I have fibromyalgia arthritis and suffer with migraines so I really have been thinking about trying it. I would definitely not smoke it. I like the idea of marijuana suckers

5. the truth   March 11, 2014 at 2:06 pm

@Jane cannabis smoking causes one to cough . That is the worse thing it does. Next your going to tell me how heroin is only 23% addictive. Lmfao ppl like you are cavemen. Look up the endocannabinoid system you miss guided dullard

6. Lexie   March 11, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I have lupus, MS, fibromyagia, cronoic nausea, seizures, diverticulitis and various other medical issues. Most of my medications make me so sick I dont even feel like eating or getting up any longer. I’m 43 and have never tried marijuana before until about a month ago when my neighbor (who is 56) saw how I was suffering and brought me in her home and got me to try it. For the first time in i can’t begin to tell you when I wasn’t nauseous, I wasn’t hurting and I ws hungry for the first time in as long as I could remember. I ate-didnt throw u- first time in FOREVER! So please listen government!

7. Jane Peters   March 11, 2014 at 10:45 am

Smoking can cause other problem though.