Ten Jagerbombs, Three Heart Attacks and One Resurrection

jagerbombs

A teenager who threw back ten Jagerbombs at a nightclub party with friends had three heart attacks and died before being resurrected with a defibrillator. The nightclub sponsored a two-for-one promotion and Jayde Dinsdale, 18, was there with a few friends to participate. Dinsdale downed the high caffeine drinks and went into cardiac arrest.

The Jagerbombs are a mixture of Jagermeister spirit and energy drinks. Put together and sold at $2.20 for two, Dinsdale was able to make it home with friends before dying on her bathroom floor. Now the teen from England is busy campaigning to warn others of the potential dangers of high caffeine-laced drinks.

Dinsdale’s parents performed CPR on their daughter as the unresponsive teen lay on the bathroom floor of their Somerset home. Paramedics arrived and took Dinsdale to a local hospital where she was put into a medically induced coma. After three weeks in the hospital, the teen is now busy warning others to avoid the drinks.

The teen got to the nightclub, sober, just before midnight in January. According to her, she had about ten Jagerbombs before heading towards home at 2 in the morning. Later, at 10am, she was talking to her mom when she started seizing and collapsed.

Dinsdale’s mother, Natalie, 38, said her daughter was her “…normal bubbly…” self while she was talking about the party at the club. Suddenly the teen’s chest jolted and the younger Dinsdale fell to the floor hitting her head on the bathtub and radiator as she went down.

Dinsdale’s father, Darryl, 38, performed CPR, as the youngest child Eliesha, 12, held her sister’s head. Dinsdale was taken to ICU at Yeovil District Hospital and put in a medically induced coma to protect her head and heart.

Natalie Dinsdale told reporters that her daughter was covered in tubes and her body reduced to 32 degrees (centigrade) to protect her brain. The family started a vigil in the hospital’s waiting room to see if Dinsdale would recover.

After the immediate crisis was over, Dinsdale had a cardioverter defibrillator implanted. The internal defibrillator will shock her heart if it again stops. The teen can’t remember anything of the party at the club or of the following day. The attending physicians blamed the entire episode on the energy drinks.

Dinsdale’s father pointed out that anyone could’ve been affected by the energy drinks in a similar way. “It wasn’t caused by alcohol, it was the amount of caffeine…” in her body, he said. Jagerbombs depress the central nervous system which is then kicked into high gear when the caffeine steps in just about the time the alcohol wears off.

With high amounts of sugar and sold in supermarkets, some can see why it’s easy that young people have taken to drinking the potent mixture. A major study in 2013 found that British children have the highest consumption rates, of energy drinks, in Europe with 10 percent of England’s teenagers drinking four to five a week.

A 2011 study in the USA found cases where excess caffeine drinking and energy drinks had been connected with children suffering seizures, mania and sudden death. The researches say that high caffeine drinks are particularly risky for children with pre-existing conditions such as diabetes and behavioral disorders.

These days, the teenage Dinsdale is busy warning people about the potential dangers of energy drinks and she says she won’t be trying Jagerbombs again.

By Jerry Nelson

Sources
Daily Mail
Metro
Daily Star

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.