Gwyneth Paltrow says a lot of ridiculous things in the media. Her level of pretentiousness knows no bounds. While she feels that she comes off as an “every mom,” a warrior for the working woman, she has once again put her foot in her mouth. Her latest claim that working moms have it so easy because they can get all kinds of things done in the morning, pop into their office for 8 or 9 hours, then come home in the evening, has left many working moms shaking their heads in wonderment.
Paltrow’s recent revelation is the latest in a long line of ridiculous quotes from the actress. She says that when you are an actress you are often in a foreign city or country, away from your family, and you are working 14 hour days and it’s just so hard. Her theory is that working moms with regular jobs don’t face the same challenges as actors working on a film set. With a personal assistant. And chef. And nanny. And housekeeper. And so on.
Yes, she certainly has a long history of saying the wrong thing. Here is a look back at the top 5 most ridiculous things Gwyneth Paltrow has ever said.
5. Paltrow was quoted in Harper’s Bazaar, saying that after surviving 10 winters in London she was positively dreaming of a life in California. She longed to see her children in the sun, picking avocados. To get her family through she declared that January was to be “international month,” and celebrated by flying in an Italian chef, screening Japanese anime films, and having someone give her children, Apple and Moses, lessons on hand-rolling sushi. As one does when money is no object.
4. A known leader in the natural food movement, Paltrow has strong opinions on what her family eats. She told a British talk show that she would much rather smoke crack that eat cheese from a can. Claiming that her children simply adore a good brown rice and veggie stir-fry, they also live for their weekly can of Coke. Daughter Apple tends to prefer raw nuts and fresh fruits and vegetables but that doesn’t stop her from plowing through a bag of Cheetos from time to time. She has also gone on record as saying that she would rather die than allow her children to eat Cup-a-Soup. It’s all about balance.
3. Speaking of balance, Paltrow swears by using only organic products. However, she has also copped to using Botox (botulism) and laser treatments. Claiming it just makes life more interesting, like finding a balance between tofu and her weekly Saturday night cigarette.
2. Paltrow simply adores Europe. Much more so than America, it seems. There is one thing that she simply cannot abide by. She prefers her concierge to send her to “real” restaurants, not just ones that they receive a kickback for referring celebrities to. She wants to know where she can find the best organic wine and the most gentle bikini wax. Keeping it real is very important to Gwyneth.
1. Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing Gwyneth Paltrow has ever said was to criticize Americans for mourning so openly. She says that the English are much better at “getting over” tragedies and that after 7/7 there weren’t memorials popping up on every street corner, as what happened in New York after 9/11. The English wouldn’t be caught crying all over the place as the Americans do. One guesses that she simply forgot the aftermath of Princess Diana’s death.
Gwyneth Paltrow has said, and will continue to say, many ridiculous things. It’s entirely within her right. Maybe if she took time to stop and think before she spoke she would realize that she comes off as a pretentious windbag. Working moms everywhere tend to agree.
By Mary Kay Love