Iyanla: Fix My Life has been a ratings winner for Oprah’s TV network, OWN. With a style that seems incomparable, the series is a mix of life lessons and tough love. Iyanla’s brand of fixing is unconventional, and most episodes require tissues in hand, but there is an authenticity which is not often found on this type of reality show.
Here are the top five dramatic moments of Iyanla: Fix My Life that are gut wrenching to view.
1. A pastor confesses not only that he cheated on his wife of 10 years with at least 20 women, but that he was molested as a child by a male member of the family. This one ends at the altar.
2. Dawj’s husband has terminal brain cancer. Up to this point, she has been cold and withdrawn. When Iyanla gives her a choice to suffer or trust her, she breaks down.
3. William Moorehead is a heroin addict who has spent the last 24 years in and out of jail 37 times. His four grown children are trying to heal their abandonment issues. In this scene, Iyanla tells him that if he goes back on drugs, he will end up dead.
4. Evelyn Lozada, ex-wife of Chad Ochocinco and star of Basketball Wives, shares with Iyanla her biggest fear. At the core is her upbringing in a dysfunctional family. She seemed to have an “a-ha” moment when she was called out by Star Jones on Twitter, and imitated by her stepchildren.
5. Patricia lied for 23 years to her son, Jose, about who his father was since he had shown no interest in their son. The absentee father comes back and Patricia has to explain to her son her reasons. In this dramatic clip, Iyanla makes Patricia leave behind the guilt, shame and the old relationship. Will she reach for Alex’s hand or will she cling to the past?
The reason Iyanla Vanzant is so effective with her methods is because she has experienced much of what the show’s participants have gone through. She has suffered the death of a child, divorce, and losing her home and money. One of the biggest broken relationships she had to heal was between herself and Oprah, which took 11 years.
By Delores Williams