Ashton Irwin Trending on Twitter for Both Love and Hate

IrwinYoung Singer Ashton Irwin has been trending on Twitter with messages of both love and hate.  The message of love was #keepsmilingashtonweloveyou, the other, a message of hate, #keepcuttingashtonyourtrash. This young drummer of the Australian group 5 Seconds of Summer has a dark past that included cutting his wrists. He has since stopped the cutting, much to his fans relief, and wears many bracelets to hide the scars. He now draws butterflies on the scars of his fans to show them they are beautiful, and that they too can overcome this dangerous affliction. The fans are so intense, and their support is so great that they are trending on Twitter with their hash tag and outpouring of love. One fan even pulled the ” just kiss me on the cheek” routine and quickly changed it up to get a kiss on the lips from the 19-year-old heart-throb.

Irwin

The hate hash tag popped up yesterday and Ashton responded with “Be with us, or against us, don’t like what we are doing, it’s fine, this is the real s###, all for the fans, don’t dare tell me otherwise.” This was re-tweeted 36,000 times within 24 hours under the keep smiling hash tag. The haters were quickly put in their place, as they were out numbered by 5 Seconds of Summer fans, and kept the love pouring in through their tweets to Irwin.

The band released their first single in the states on April 1st, and they also began touring in March and sold out the 10 dates scheduled for San Francisco in less than 5 minutes.  Their record debuted at Number 25 on Billboard’s Social 50 chart, which is basically a You Tube, Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites popularity contest.  It just may be these boys will be the next big thing, and Ashton Irwin’s support on Twitter filled with words of love and compassion could not even be countered or brought down by the random messages of hate.

Cutting is a dangerous way that many teens and adults have taken in an effort to control their emotions, or to simply feel anything at all. Teens and adults alike have been known to try this form of redirecting their emotions that are too intense to deal with. Experts agree that it is a real issue and not one to be taken lightly. Even those in the limelight are subject to bullying, like Irwin, which this hate message certainly is. It can be a tough world to grow up in and some are not equipped to handle the intensity that comes with those growing pains. Unfortunately cutting or burning are some of the ways that people choose to cope, and it should not matter that many do not understand, and judging is what some say is just another form of bullying. Standing in support of someone who has overcome this affliction, is a message of faith, love and understanding.

Keep smiling can be inspirational to all, and through the tweets, it has certainly reached many that may have really needed that message to take control of their own lives. Those who chose to anonymously tweet hate messages to Ashton Irwin will likely not bring down his fans that have shown the power of positive reinforcement by trending on Twitter their message of love.

Opinions by Kristi Cereska
@KCsBookshelf

Hollywood Take
Sugar Scape
Billboard

18 Responses to "Ashton Irwin Trending on Twitter for Both Love and Hate"

1. Eva   March 24, 2015 at 3:17 pm

I love Ashton so much and I got really upset when I found out he used to cut. I’m so happy he stopped. I stopped cuting because if Ashton could do it I could so everytime I think about cuting, I think of Ashton and it makes me stop myself #KeepsmilingAshtonweloveyou

2. hazel   January 26, 2015 at 8:48 pm

He makes me smile when I know I’m bout to cut  #keepsmilingashtonweloveyou

3. ashton is livesaver   November 22, 2014 at 2:12 am

this is so sad but so true… i cried when i knew for the first time ashton used to cut. im so happy he stopped. i stopped to, but sometimes i want to and then i think about ash, how he stopped, and so i draw a butterfly and go on with my life. 🙂
    thanks ashton for everything.

4. MB   November 10, 2014 at 12:09 am

I’m now crying. I’m so glad Ashton stopped cutting. I cut and I stopped and I’ve wanted to relapse so bad and this made me prevent myself from doing it. Don’t nobody tell Ashton to kill himself cuz you can go to jail for that

• Anonymous   February 5, 2015 at 5:57 pm

My heart sunk and I felt nauseous as soon as I found out and then reading your comment made me tear up. I’ve been wanting to relapse so badly too and it’s hard to keep your mind off of it. I hope you’re doing okay!

5. Kimmie   November 7, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Ashton and the guys are the reason I stopped

6. Hozza   October 15, 2014 at 3:37 am

Oh no ashton don’t cut your worth it for let anyone else tell you different because you are an amazing person

7. Nina Loves Ashton ^-^   July 18, 2014 at 11:40 am

If you say someone nerds to keep cutting IT CAN KILL YOU i cutted BEFORE And i stopped. Your a murderer If you say That to someone and they literally die v.v
    Leave sweety Ashton and EVERYONE alone! I faught with someone who Said That.
    I
    Won hehehe

8. I love ashton irwin   June 12, 2014 at 10:56 pm

What kind of sick disgusting person would say such hurtful things to someone else even if they dislike them. What if someone told you to cut yourself how would that make feel to all hater can back off and get a life because you make this human race a sick place you insult to mankind 🙂

P.S that was to haters

9. Elli   April 18, 2014 at 8:50 am

Ashton did self harm. Thankfully, he stopped. It is horrible that people use that against him 🙁

10. Vivian   April 17, 2014 at 4:54 am

everyone who’s hating on ashton should know better. they should be comforting him, not making him feel worse about himself. cutting hurts and its nothing something that you should joke around about. it’s not their life; they should just mind their own business and show him love!

11. Chalee   April 15, 2014 at 8:42 am

Actually.. Ashton Irwin did self harm and it’s sad that some people are using as some sick joke to hold against him. He has stopped. Don’t bring up his past. Stay out of his personal life.

• Hannah Elizabeth   June 28, 2014 at 6:50 pm

I’m not trying to be rude, I just genuinely want to know. How do we know that he did? Has there been an interview where he’s said so, or are we just speculating? The thought of it just absolutely breaks my heart, so I just want to know. xx

12. Megan   April 14, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Actually he did cut. He stopped a few years ago.

13. bob   April 14, 2014 at 1:12 pm

lol he never cut himself u tried

• lauren   April 19, 2014 at 3:39 am

ashton actually did, but he stopped for us fans.