Wednesday evening toxicology reports allegedly confirm that British socialite, television presenter, model, and mum-of-two, Peaches Geldof, died in a familiar family fashion. Initially the post-mortem exam and inquiry proved inconclusive, so a statement regarding the reason for her death had been postponed. Although much patience and respect was offered to Peaches’ family and memory, the autopsy report may not come as a surprise to most. According to recently released results, the death of the 25-year-old was allegedly a direct consequence of an unfortunate heroin overdose. The same way her mother passed in 2000.
Geldof was found dead at her home in Kent, just outside of London, on April 7, 2014, while there are also reports that suggest she died while in transport to the nearby hospital. She was home alone and unconscious with her 11-month year old son, Phaedra. When emergency responders arrived, they found her son at her side. Police described the death as “non-suspicious” and “unexplained.” Investigators used sniffer dogs and searched through trash cans, but no drug paraphernalia, or any other evidence of drugs, was found in the million dollar home. However, some still believe it is possible such items may have been removed from the property before the investigation. It is also unknown who may have supplied the young mother with the tragic substance.
The Geldof family refuses to comment at this time.
Interestingly enough, Peaches became excessively interested in re-examining her feelings towards her mother’s death only hours before she passed, posting a photo online of them both, when Peaches was only an infant. In the photo, it is hard to believe it is not a recent photo of Peaches herself; the two look so similar. Paula Yates, the late mother, died at 41 with her young daughter, Tiger Lily, aged 4, by her side.
Peaches, often labeled a “wild child,” has admitted to experimenting with drugs in the past, and there are reports of the young blonde collapsing from an overdose and needing to be revived in her home in north London in 2008. Peaches seemed to settle down a bit after the incident, transforming herself into a doting mother and wife, rather than being so socially driven. There has been speculation that she may have overdosed because her tolerance had lowered over the years unknowingly.
As for now, Kent police say they can neither confirm nor deny any surprises that Peaches Geldof’s autopsy concludes she died of a drug overdose. Thursday morning in Gravesend, Kent, there will be a short, ten-minute, inquest hearing. Detective Chief Inspector Paul Fotheringham will read a statement regarding the toxicology report to Coroner Roger Hatch, which will officially and publicly reveal the cause for death. Hatch had waited for the toxicology reports before opening a full inquest, which is now scheduled for late July.
Peaches Geldof is survived by her father, Irish musician and legend Sir Bob Geldof, sisters Fifi, Pixie and Tiger Geldof, her devoted husband Tom Cohen, and her two sons Astala and Phaedra.
Opinion by Stacy Feder