Due to the occurrence of death caused by the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), which is still prevalent in Saudi Arabia, practical measures are being put in place by the Saudi government to curb the menace. Since its appearance in September 2012, more than 70 persons have died after suffering from the virus. Recent reports from the health ministry of the Arabian country testify to the death of two foreigners due to infection from MERS-CoV in the Saudi city of Jeddah.
More reports from the health ministry show that about seven more people are currently in isolation after being affected with the virus, including two foreign medical staff. So far, 231 cases of infection have being proved, of which 76 cases of death were recorded while 148 cases have experienced full recovery from the lethal MERS-CoV in Saudi Arabia.
The three recent cases of individuals living with the virus in isolation have been confirmed to be fully recovered from the virus after they recently tested negative to MERS-Coronavirus. It was said that these three cases were discovered through the daily contact examination performed. The confirmation led to their subsequent placement in isolation at the hospital. However, their ability to respond to a treatment-free self recovery within 10 days will soon give way to their discharge from the hospitals.
As daily checks are being carried out regularly, it is believed that other patients currently suffering from the virus would recover quickly and be on their way out of isolation in less than no time.
Since its first discovery on Sept. 24, 2012 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus has been a serious issue of concern to the Saudi health ministry and the government in general.
MERS-CoV is a viral respiratory illness caused by a coronavirus. It causes serious respiratory illness which includes cough, shortage in breath and fever. These are obvious symptoms of MERS-CoV, which is prevalent in Saudi Arabia. Reports from the country’s ministry of health on its mortality rate, put the death toll at 50 percent.
The re-occurrence of the virus this year, had led to the shutting down of the emergency unit of the King Fahd Hospital in Jeddah this month.
Foreigners are not left out. The recent death of an overseas Filipino worker was said to have been caused by the Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus. The 44-year-old Husna died in King Fahd Hospital in Jeddah on April 12. After spending 5 years in the South Arabian country. However, there have being other cases relating to that of Husna. In most situations, they are cremated or buried in Saudi Arabia due to quarantine restrictions.
In a bid to curb its prevalence, people are advised to:
– regularly and thoroughly wash their hands with soap and water.
– avoid close contact with people infected with flu or fever related diseases.
– endeavor to put a covering like handkerchief or tissue paper around the mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and then dispose promptly.
– try to avoid contact of the eyes, nose and mouth with dirty hands.
Efforts from the World Health Organisation (WHO) are greatly felt as the bid to end the situation heightens. Currently isolation is the best medical remedy for MERS-CoV which is still prevalent in Saudi Arabia.
By Obed Uche