Netflix ‘Green Lantern: The Animated Series’ a Chance at Redemption

Green Lantern

Warner Bros. is a studio renowned for its animated entertainment, with the legacy of shows like Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond to back it up. Well, a show many haven’t heard of, Green Lantern: The Animated Series, has joined their ranks. It was recently revealed that Netflix will now be offering a streaming version of the show, and the views are sure to pour in.

Green Lantern: The Animated Series didn’t share in the same initial success as those other shows, though. Before the show was able to go into a third season, it was abruptly cancelled. The reasons that were provided for this are twofold: 1) the CGI used to create the show was far too expensive and 2) there was no way to market toys for these characters.

Anyone familiar with the comic book industry knows that the characters existing on the page are merely advertisements. Many people, on the outside looking in, aren’t aware of this but toy sales are what drive the market for those industries. So much, in fact, that shows like Green Lantern: The Animated Series were created with the knowledge that they would lose money in the end. Warner Bros., and DC Comics by extension, are fully aware that these shows aren’t going to make them money. In fact, they often lose them millions in the short term.

The thinking is that, in the long run, these shows will pay off. The audience that watches these shows might not be large in number, but the hope is that it’ll pay off big time in plastic sales.

It should be easily apparent now that the first reason given for why Green Lantern was cancelled was actually just normality in the industry. Animated shows are almost always costly. So what was the real reason? There were no toy sales. So, then you’ll ask, why were there no toy sales?

It’s really quite simple. Not long before the show was released, Warner Bros. released a big budget Green Lantern movie that, by all accounts, flopped at the box office. The problem was, Warner Bros. bet it all on the Green Lantern movie to succeed. Since it didn’t resonate with audiences, however, stores got stocked full of Green Lantern toys from the movie that nobody wanted. So when Green Lantern: The Animated Series came knocking, toy companies weren’t too willing to open their doors to them. They got stonewalled.

What all this amounts to is a highly realized, beautifully rendered science fiction show that never got its due. Green Lantern: The Animated Series is a diamond in the rough. A great show that, because of a failed movie franchise, got kicked aside for the next big thing.

Since that time, Green Lantern: The Animated Series has built up quite the following. It’s become something of a cult hit even. One could see why, then, that Green Lantern ending up on Netflix is a sort of poetic justice. A show once unfairly ignored gets a chance at redemption. Many people still don’t know Green Lantern but by the power of Netflix they soon will.

Opinion by: Jonathan Semoneit

34 Responses to "Netflix ‘Green Lantern: The Animated Series’ a Chance at Redemption"

1. jacob dexter   October 8, 2015 at 1:17 pm

this is bull s*** i can not lose the chance of seeing the second season bring it back bring it back

2. Wade Martin   October 4, 2015 at 3:25 pm

There is a petition to bring back Green Lantern the Animated Series follow this link.

3. Chris Arndt (@CJArndt)   March 19, 2015 at 1:04 pm

It never made it to a second season.

4. Giovanni Scott   January 13, 2015 at 7:16 pm

I got hooked on GL AS… And was hoping for more the storyline is GREAT animation STELLAR, character development TOP NOTCH..
    WE NEED MORE SEASONS… u can’t end it like that
    EPIC FAIL!!!!

5. Ameen   January 8, 2015 at 9:59 am

please bring this show back </3

6. Harsha   January 3, 2015 at 2:01 am

Wish there r multiple seasons for this show.

7. Mike   December 19, 2014 at 11:03 pm

In all honesty, this is probably the best show I have seen on Netflix; cartoon or non cartoon. Excellent show.

8. Marsh   December 9, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Where is season 2?

9. fdfdf   December 3, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Unbelievably amazing series. Ashamed its gone

10. eben   November 30, 2014 at 6:52 am

one of the best cartoon series that i have
    ever seen….Just awesome!

11. Rob harrris   September 19, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Wow..great writing sorry to see the end of the series…this is coming from a 41 yr old working mother..l enjoyed the GL series more then my child…

12. Vampunk Hawkeye   September 18, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Man i hope someone will relize we need a season two of this!, try to make the animated series redeem itself more

13. necrocom   September 14, 2014 at 10:49 am

The first dc’s series i like… and is cancelled… i want to see the blue lantern razer! And all the rings, i want to see the black lanterns!!!

14. Emma Amber Storm   August 7, 2014 at 10:22 pm

i love the series, i want Aye back the love story of Aye and Razor is so beautiful. the show its self was amazingly well done and i loved every minute of it <3 <3

15. James   July 30, 2014 at 8:01 am

This show is awesome i really want to see more episodes

16. Anthony   July 15, 2014 at 7:04 am

This show is amazing. But money rules the world. We should not expect companies to produce content at a loss. That being said, if there is enough public support for something, it would be nice if the community could produce additional episodes without worrying about cease and desist letters from WB.

17. Tim   July 14, 2014 at 8:38 am

They should of use this story line in the real movie. Great series with solid characters to follow at any age.

18. Kim A.   July 9, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I would renew my netflix subscriptions for this show. my 7 yo boy and 8 yo girl LOVE this show. I watch this with them everyday. my autistic son got motivated and learned to say Green Lantern because he request it all the time. Like those on here, i hope netflix would pick it up.

19. D.Will   July 9, 2014 at 9:54 am

I agree with Alexa. I absolutely love this show! I’ve been watching it religiously every night on Netflix. The animation along with the story lines are amazing. I hope someone will pick this up because i’m almost at the end of the season and it gets more interesting with each episode.

20. Nilavro   July 1, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I was so moved by the series … really felt all the characters and am hoping to see Razor all blue in the Hope Ring

21. Thomas Wheeler   June 29, 2014 at 9:07 am

It’s tragic that a magnificent show like Green Lantern the Animated Series was scrapped because of the failure of the live action movie (which I didn’t think was as bad as most people apparently do) and a lack of an action figure line — not that I wouldn’t loved to have had figures of the animated versions of Hal and Kilowog, not to mention show-specific characters like Razer and Aya. I’m delighted that the series has garnered a cult following, and hopefully will increase that on Netflix. I know that Netflix has continued some series. Despite the expense, I think Green Lantern The Animated Series should definitely be a contender for this!

22. Alexa   June 25, 2014 at 11:45 am

I miss the days when there were actual cartoons playing on cartoon channels! Even childrens television shows have become reality tv or mock ups of reality tv! Then we finally get some quality cartoons like Green Lantern and Young Justice and they get canceled. As a fan of super heros (especially DC) I have made it a point to show my son what real superhero cartoons are…. like Batman the animated series, batman beyond, and even the x-men animated series. Thanks to that my kid has oldschool cartoon taste, he now perfers to go and search for these cartoons on Netflix or youtube. Most of thses new shows are dumbing down… always portraying someone who is not smart or an air head or a super Klutz! What happened to inspiring their imagination, showing them characters that use their brain and common sense to slove a problem! I guess im just venting but I wish there were more quality cartoons for our kid’s to watch and for us to watch with them!

Netflix should think of picking up some of these good cartoons and continue producing them… they make their own shows (orange is the new black) maybe they can do the same with cartoons!

23. Aya & Razer will live on   June 24, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Man I just finished the show and it was good to bad netflix didn’t have a second season but hopefully people that have Netflix will watch this series and give it a good review and good enough to make a second and even third series and I really want to know if Razer will ever find Aya and if he does she should have a real body life form or something but should still look Aya (aka Elana) and have a happy life with a few twist and turns but still more action bring in some more evil bad guys like sinestro becoming a yellow lantern or I don’t know Thanos, Apocalypse or any bad guy that deals with Green lantern if you know what I mean but hopefully the producers will do something about the series and make another season and even have 3 seasons or more if they have more fresh ideas coming but still on the seasons and the CGI post production and if it help I would buy a toy or a couple if it was in stores like target or something I would bye Aya,Razer,Hal Jordan,Kilowag, and some other toy
    Hopefully some one reads this and brings this up to the producers or something

24. Ricky Taylor (@ridor9th)   June 2, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Just finished 26 episodes of Green Lantern: The Animated Series – I’m a huge fan of Geoff Johns’ works on Green Lantern but I did not enjoy the film, unfortunately – even if Ryan Reynolds was easy on my eyes. So I stumbled upon GL: TAS on Netflix and I was bored – so I thought, why not? So I watched.

And I liked it. It is refreshing. It is smart. It is different from the books that I’m accustomed. I decided to look for 2nd season. No, not at all. What? I’m disappointed. I really enjoyed this series very much.

25. Dubshiro   May 31, 2014 at 8:18 am

Pc leftist wackos? Leave it to a brain dead, drooling, righty to turn A CARTOON string into politics. Eat it douche turd. But the show ruled on so many levels! A shame so many never got a chance to see this. Or worse yet, see it and be left hanging knowing there will never be a 2nd season.

26. Mike T   May 18, 2014 at 9:51 am

I also would like to see a continuation of the series. At least two more seasons or movies.

27. TheNorm   May 6, 2014 at 10:08 am

I haven’t watched cartoons in literally decades…then I ran across Green Lantern on Netflix and watched an episode out of curiosity expecting the usual crap.

Well, I have to tell you that it transported me back to a time when I was about 13 years old. The show is of Marvel quality. (DC Comics, while the supposed Tiffany product were always aimed at really dumb 10 year olds.)

It’s amazing how much the production team packs into 20 minutes or so of action. I have been looking for somewhere to praise the show and I landed here.

I have watched half the shows so far and not once have I been preached to by PC leftist wackos. It’s the uplifting comics of yesteryear in good and true heroic form. I’d put it at at a prime 14 year old male level…but it is sophisticated enough, with a little graciousness from old folks like my humble self to hold the attention of any second golden age comic book veteran.

Obviously WBrothers would have settled for much less,since as some have said that it was made mostly to compliment the movie, but they got much more. It’s a shame they whacked it because of the economics. It’s one of those deals that if they had just been patient, with three more seasons it would have been a long time money maker. But evidently that was never their goal.

I hope there is some method for WB to see the Netflix stats. I expect the numbers will only grow over time.

Excelsior and nuff said.

28. Newly Recruit GL fan   May 3, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Hope that Green Lantern Animated Series will have season 2. I want to see what happens between Aya and Razer. I was really impressed with this series. It is one of the very few superhero shows that my husband and I can actually watch with the kids. I like that it did not have any profanity and it is not violent. My son wanted a green lantern toy (specifically, Green Lantern Hal and Red Lantern Razer) and we could not find them in stores. I have not checked amazon yet, but maybe they have it. Maybe they can make an animated movie if a second season will not be revived. I hope they give this show the second chance it deserved, especially since the reason it was cancelled is due to toys not being made to sell. I really think if given a chance and with aggressive marketing, this will be a hit.

29. derek   April 20, 2014 at 1:01 pm

First off let’s start off I’m 23. I was looking on Netflix and ended up seeing a green lantern
    series and it wasnt one like the league or tiny titans or anything it was the green lantern period so I turned it on and it was amazing couldn’t stop watching it a couple of my buddy’s came over with a 18 pack and we watched all 26 episodes then went to find the 2nd season and come to find out there wasn’t one it got canceled and I couldn’t believe it with all these horrible cartoons out there that last 10 or more seasons this green lantern TV series has the potential to last 10 or more seasons it’s one of the best shows I have seen in recent years and that’s period. It’s on my top 5 list of all things enjoyed to watch. Please bring it back and start pumping out seasons and let’s get this back on the market and make up for all the pain you guys caused all us green lantern fans when we got to episode 26 and then instead of moving to season to its gone done no more and then we search and we find out its cancelation in due to poortoy sales bbecause of the live action green lantern movie tanking. Well please what do us fans have to do for this series to continue

30. Ming on Mongo   April 17, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Yeah, NetFlix is the first I’d heard of the animation series either, and very well done (and Warner Bros. animation is always excellent to begin with). Though was sorry to see the introduction of so many new “lantern” types like red and blue lanterns (and even ‘mauve’?!), which kinda dilutes the uniqueness of the Green Lantern universe. But it’s also easier to recognize Bruce Timm’s distinctive style now, even in cgi, like the look of his female characters, who remind me a lot of his ‘Harley Quinn’ illustrations.
    BTW, if you gotta have ‘product tie-ins’, then maybe do something more interesting than just plastic toys and t-shirts. Like for example, how about the techo-geek factor of little pocket thumb drives, but shaped like a Green Lantern with green glowing LED’s’s (or maybe not…lol)?!

31. Fan of the show   April 17, 2014 at 11:50 am

I really like the character development here and how they’ve progressed/matured over the course of the 2 seasons. Shame it didn’t last though.

32. Koberkobi (@koberkobi)   April 16, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I was put off by Green Lantern because it was cgi and only got to watching it after its run. While it had its flaws (like a certain “shock” development they did TWICE. Really guys?) it remains one of my favorite shows. After major disappointments in Korra and Thundercats, I was ready to give up on animated shows and barely got myself to watch GL. What I especially loved about it is that it managed to avoid the dreaded romantic plot tumor that ruined the aforementioned two shows. It actually had romance that was relevant to the plot and characters, and not just shoved in for no reason. Some of the alien side characters really had personality, in fact the whole world was really well made and actually made me consider reading the comics.
    Though I’m not a big fan of superheroes (tbh I thought GL is kind of a dumb superhero idea), I love sci-fi and this GL is really more of a sci-fi story in the vein of Star Trek. It’s such a pity that the show was cancelled due to that awful movie’s performance and bad toy sales, it really shows how little the industry gives a damn about providing quality entertainment and instead focuses on producing more Adventure Time ripoffs and brainless hyperactive comedies. I can only pity the creators for putting so much effort into the first season for a cancelled series, while a show like Korra gets guaranteed 4 seasons despite it’s abysmal writing and horrible characters.

33. Flax Seed   April 15, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Well bummer, just found out I only have 2 eps left.

It really is well done, shame it ended with only 1 season.

34. Comics fan   April 15, 2014 at 10:35 am

This article nailed it. I just started watching the animated series and it is exceptionally well done. The first two episodes were so so but then it ratcheted things up to a whole different level. As a 40-something fan of the genre, I’m glad the Green Lantern series will get its due. I just hope that there is an opportunity to resurrect future seasons. The story line is very well done.