NBC Cancels Revolution Only Community Fans Mourn

NBCNBC announced they would be trimming the fat following low ratings for a few of their shows. Most of the series mentioned are not surprising, but one show had a longer history and will be missed, at least by the writer. NBC has cancelled Revolution, Growing Up Fisher, Believe, Crisis, and Community, all of which were under a 2.0 rating, but only the last will have fans mourning. Audiences will see if fans can save it again.

Revolution started out strong. It got on the science fiction bandwagon with good marketing design and an interesting concept about nanotechnology taking over the world. The first season focused more on survivalist post-revolution North America, with “improbably clean” characters trying to figure out why everything that used electricity had simply ceased to function. As the story got deeper — and the show lost its boost from airing behind The VoiceRevolution lost a good deal of its audience. Designed to appeal to Hunger Games tweens it might have found a better home on the CW.

Growing Up Fisher also had a lot of promise in the pilot, directed by David Schwimmer of Friends fame. The stars, J.K. Simmons and Jenna Elfman have resumes that stretch from Law and Order to Spiderman; Dharma and Greg to Damages. Further, Jason Bateman of Arrested Development provided the voice-over. Unfortunately, no one mentioned that voice-overs were last popular when Arrested Development was on the air in 2005.

Believe had several fundamental flaws. It was not unique: Stephen King came up with something like this years ago called Firestarter; Drew Barrymore starred in the movie. Nor was it well received: it has a Metacritic score of 55 and reviewers do not speak well of the pilot. The most obvious issue is it would have needed a major revamp as the actress playing Bo (Johnny Sequoyah) outgrew the character. Game of Thrones audiences might notice the issue with Arya Stark – she’s supposed to be the same age she was four seasons ago, but that show is successful so audiences will cope. Crisis was the other show in this group of rubbish that had its fair try and failed. As a mid-season launch around the same time as Believe, Crisis barely got off the ground. Better that NBC cancel these shows, including Community, and allow some brief time for mourning rather than letting fans or producers suffer; at least Revolution got two seasons in.

Community was a different case than the other shows the network cancelled. The show was in its fifth season and its original producer, Dan Harmon, had just returned. It did really well when it premiered in 2009; NBC extended the series by a few episodes based on this success. Unfortunately, ratings peaked around the second season and difficulties around the end of the third season may have proved Community’s downfall. The original producer left the show, as well as several writers and executive producers. Chevy Chase departed as well, making for some awkward on-screen explanations of his character’s absence. This coincided with the indefinite extension of a mid-season hiatus in preference for 30 Rock, a move that prompted a December 2011 flash mob of Community fans outside NBC offices in Rockefeller Center.

No one says television execs are infallible. If that were the case, they never would have approved Crisis or Believe. Executive decisions were made to cancel the original Star Trek, Futurama and Family Guy at one time or another, all of which went on to become huge money-makers. Maybe fans will see versions of Community on Netflix, or on cable. #Darkesttimeline and #RIPCommunity started trending on Twitter as cast and crew broadcast the announcement; now a twitter image of a Netflix rep:

NBC
Netflix might save Community

The question is, do the hash-tags of mourning mark acceptance of the NBC executive decision to cancel the show, or will fans revolt again and save Community? Seems like some are already reaching out to other parties to pick up the show and an online petition is already up and can be signed below.

Opinion by Aliya Tyus-Barnwell

Online Petition

Metacritic
The Week
The Fool

37 Responses to "NBC Cancels Revolution Only Community Fans Mourn"

1. ricky curtis   June 3, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Revolution was great one of my favorites. But kripike ruined it for most people. Supernatural was a great show. This show didnt need any supernatural stuff. The while percilia thing ruined it for almost all my friends . Should of just kept the militias. Thats why your show got canceled and yes im very dissapointed. But they did it to there selfs wasnt the actors. Was the plot and how it did a total 360. Show could of been epic. Could of been as big as walking dead until this season when everything revolved around the nano. Sorry to see this happen to such a great show. Went from a 9.5 to a 5.0 fcurtis 00

2. John Cleary   May 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I will NOT miss Community; I WILL miss Revolution.

3. Tia Foxx   May 23, 2014 at 9:35 am

Sign the petition to try and bring back Crisis and Believe!

I too loved Revolution! But kind of had the feeling it wouldn’t make it another season..

However, Believe and Crisis are still brand new and even as a 20 year old I tune in every Sunday nights to watch these! NBC bring them back please, and give them a better time slot!

4. Annette   May 22, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Who cares about Community??! At least it got five seasons in! I wanted that for Revolution! Revolution was the best show on tv as far as I’m concerned. I already signed every petition there is hoping a smart network will pick it up. I will never watch NBC again!

5. Aliya Tyus-Barnwell   May 20, 2014 at 12:13 pm

I thought I was the only one who would miss Revolution… It had its problems but I found the concept interesting. If we’re bringing random things back: Revolution (except less beautiful and more gritty) and Survivors (the British show)

6. IceonFire7 (@IceonFire07)   May 18, 2014 at 12:59 am

I never watched Community even once, so I won’t miss it. However, I will miss Revolution terribly. So, yeah, don’t tell me only Community will be mourned. #RelocateRevolution

• The Ready Center   May 18, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Write NBC and tell them to renew Revolution for a third season. There are tons of us fans doing this. The more the better. – Pick Revolution from the drop down box and let them know you want Revolution back.

7. Eleanor   May 17, 2014 at 2:29 am

I agree with everyone else’s point of view. Why should we get interested in a new series and look forward to seeing what is going to happen next only to just have the so called producers to cut it in mid air so to speak…I guess I’m going to be watching the other networks I’m so disappointed.

8. Everett   May 16, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Ditto on the Revolution sentiment. Save it. There’s a thirst for the unknown aspects of a future without power.

• The Ready Center   May 18, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Write to NBC and tell them to renew Revolution for a third season. There are tons of us fans doing this. The more the better. – Pick Revolution from the drop down box and let them know you want Revolution back.

9. Chris white   May 16, 2014 at 8:46 pm

They should keep revolution! My wife even enjoys it and she likes none of my shows.

10. SKT   May 16, 2014 at 11:37 am

I don’t want Revolution to end. I enjoy it, although I don’t think it needs to be as violent as it is. The story line and the acting are great. I hope another network picks it up.

11. smokeegyrl   May 16, 2014 at 9:52 am

I was really enjoying Revolution. The only problem I see with this program is that you have people out here that are taking this show literally. You have a group calling themselves “Patriots” marching to Washington DC claiming to take back United States and ousting President Obama out of office in which will never happen. I think this group got this idea from the writers of this show. So in a way I will miss this show but because of what is happening in the real world, I’m glad it was cancelled.

• nate   May 16, 2014 at 6:47 pm

lol. Those people you mentioned calling themselves Patriots have nothing to do with Revolution whatsoever.

12. LB (@Lovebugs805)   May 16, 2014 at 6:24 am

Doesn’t surprise me. When it started out, I had high hopes for this show. SCI-FI aspect, 15 years after a power black-out, etc. But it just degraded into a different type of show with waaaaaay too much blood and gore and gratuitous throat slittings, blood, more blood, etc. It totally lost it’s way.

13. The Ready Center   May 16, 2014 at 12:32 am

Write NBC and tell them to renew REVOLUTION for a 3rd Season. It’s an outstanding show and fans want more of it. Follow the link to NBC, select REVOLUTION from the drop down menu, and then demand they renew REVOLUTION for a 3rd season.

Tons of REVOLUTION fans are doing this. Join the fight!

• Irwin   May 16, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Done. Fight on.

14. Delylah (@Delylah)   May 15, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Never watched Community. Loved Revolution. Kind of insulting to the fans of the show to say no one will mourn it. Wish the CW would pick it up.

15. tab   May 15, 2014 at 7:52 pm

I love Revolution it’s the only show I watched EVER from first episode to last. I will also continue to watch if it is saved. SAVE the show!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Susie Simpson   May 15, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Revolution has been my # 1 show .I guess NBC will loose this viewer .I love Revolution.

17. Kathryn   May 15, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I love Revolution too – I have two network shows that I love and this was one of them! Why??? it was so much fun to watch and the actors are awesome. Please bring it back!! any time slot!!

18. Jean   May 15, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Revolution is one of my favorite shows. I look forward to watching Miles and Monroe every week. I am very saddened that it will not be coming back next season. Please save it. Move it to another time slot or another channel. I will watch it no matter what time it airs or who airs it.

19. Ted   May 15, 2014 at 2:35 pm

This is the one show I l forward to watching watch week. I can’t believe NBC is canceling this show.

20. robin   May 15, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I am very sad about this….I love Revolution:)They should just move it to another time. Try to save it!!!!

21. Coleman McDonough   May 15, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I’ve no use for NBC after the cancellation of Revolution,no matter what tripe they throw on there,I’m done.This show,despite being buried in commercials every episode,was interesting,unlike SVU and the other tired retreads.

22. Reeve   May 15, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Huge Revolution fan so disappointed that NBC gave up on this show. They moved day ans time never promoted it and took several extended breaks all of which caused issues with the ratings. I wonder if that was their goal. I hope another channel or Netflix will pick up this brilliant show..it comes with 5 million + loyal fans.

23. Bob Smith   May 15, 2014 at 11:49 am

The REAL reason Revolution has be cancelled is because it is on NBC. NBC
    over the last few years has taken up the ideals of Fox when it comes to
    cancelling shows. And so I have now added NBC to my list of networks
    that I will never start watching a new series on, right next to Fox. And
    if you think I’m not serious, I am, I have been boycotting new TV shows
    on Fox since they cancelled Sarah Connor Chronicles in 2009.

Seriously, an audience of 3.8 million people watching your show isn’t
    good enough for you NBC? 3.8 million…. MILLION. Someone needs to take a
    minute and think of how many people that really is rather than seeing
    it as just a number.

24. rick n janet   May 15, 2014 at 10:30 am

To bad NBC is so out of touch with its viewers, some of us dont like reality shows. Revolution was a show about good and evil. Imagine patriots in government being bad guys? Guess it was a reality show.

25. Gator   May 15, 2014 at 8:06 am

I would’ve remained loyal to Revolution regardless of the path the show took, however, the nanotech stuff was beginning to “smell” of scifi. I think the government is behind the cancellation since the show is starting to paint the patriots (US Gov’t) as the bad guys (i.e. using Mustard Gas on it’s own citizens, etc). I also predict Charlie is Mile’s daughter, and I think the only “survivors” (original cast) at the end will be Miles, Rachel, Charlie and Aaron. Neville will die (hopefully by Monroe), Monroe will die (maybe he and his son will kill each other?) and Priscilla will just be collateral damage.

26. joe   May 15, 2014 at 7:07 am

Very disappointed!!! huge Revolution fan! they should just move it to another time slot. There is so much more that can be done to this show.

27. Jeanette   May 15, 2014 at 7:06 am

Speaking for me and my two teens, we were extremely disappointed to hear Revolution was cancelled. This was the one show we looked forward to watching together. It had excitement, twists, and kept us wanting more. Such a bummer.

28. carol wood   May 15, 2014 at 6:56 am

Revolution is one of the best shows NBC had to offer. IM very disappointed in the decision to cancel the show… And I fell in love with the show believe… Now I will have nothing to watch on Sunday night… This makes me want to stop Watching NBC all together

29. Lew   May 15, 2014 at 6:08 am

I predict that Charlie is Miles’s daughter. Rachel, Charlie & Miles setup home somewhere. Priscilla lives and the nano dies… the lights come back on. President Davis is killed. President Carver unites Texas & USA. Monroe dies. Neville gets back with his wife Julia… just a very happy ending.

30. Mary   May 15, 2014 at 6:06 am

Well, I for one will mourn the end of Revolution. It was one of the shows that I couldn’t wait to see what happened next and the only show I watched on NBC. So I guess maybe I should just stick with the other networks.

31. sharon conigliaro   May 15, 2014 at 5:33 am

How do you cancel a show that you aired opposite two mega hits like Survivor and American Idol. Instead of canceling this amazing show why don’t you just move it into a different time slot. This show keeps getting better and better.

32. Jason   May 15, 2014 at 2:09 am

NBC should stand for “No Brains Company”. Networks wonder why their series fail, in part it’s simple, stop trying to get us hooked on a good series, to just turn around and end it. They make stupid scheduling options, like long breaks, and then wonder why ratings go down. We’ll I’m done with anymore new series. It’s like the ” boy who cried wolf” at some point you stop believing all their new series promotional hype. Why bother being loyal to a show, when the idiots running the networks can’t be loyal (in the slightest) to “their viewers”. So disappointed !!!!!!!