The Voice Live Eliminations Elite 8 Become Fantastic 5 (Recap/Review)

The Voice Live Eliminations Elite 8 Become Fantastic 5 (Recap/Review)
On The Voice tonight, we will learn the results of overnight voting by you, America! The Elite 8 performers left have worked hard to make it to this point in the season, but three of them will not be moving on past tonight.That’s right, three —  by the end of tonight’s episode of the Live Eliminations on The Voice, we will be left with the Fantastic 5 performers, as determined by your votes, America! The Bottom Four will have to sing for the chance to have your votes Instantly Save one of them, while three will be leaving.

Josh Kaufman and Christina Grimmie received the iTunes bonus multiplier. Their studio recordings of “I Can’t Make You Love Me” and “How to Love” hit the second and the fourth positions on the iTunes Top 200 Singles chart at the close of the voting window, so it’s likely that these two competitors will be safe.

Last night, Kat Perkins sang a rockin’ version of “Get Lucky,” which might have kept her alive for at least one more week, and she just might end up as “The Voice” the final episode of the season, and be declared  the winner of a recording contract. Who will stay and who will be going home tonight on The Voice? Read on, to find out!

The Voice Live Eliminations Elite 8 Become Fantastic 5 (Recap/Review)

Carson Daly, host of The Voice, started the hour-long show by showing us a recap of last night’s episode. The two new judges for next season, Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Williams performed, as well as the Elite 8, who — as Carson says — “left their hearts on the stage for your votes.”

Then, Carson introduced the judges, the two blonds — Shakira and Adam Levine — Usher, and Blake Shelton. Kristen Merlin of Team Shakira, Kat Perkins of Team Adam, and Audra McLaughlin, and Jake Worthington, of Team Blake, sang “Chainsaw.”  They did a GREAT job of opening tonight’s episode. The audience clapped right from the beginning of the song, an the performers really lit up the stage.

Carson Daly got ready to announce the name of the first artist that America saved — Josh Kaufman! He will be moving into the Fantastic Five! Who will be joining him?

Adam said he really doesn’t know about the chances of his team members tonight, but he thinks that Kat Perkins deserves to move on. Carson asked Shakira about Kristen Merlin’s chances of moving on, and Shakira said that “I have a lot of faith” that Kristen will be moving on.

Carson asked the same about Josh Kaufman to Usher, and Usher said he had Adam to thank for Josh being on his team, as Adam used to have Josh on his team.

“I have the name of the next artist who is safe and will be moving on to next week’s show. America saved — Kristen Merlin from Team Shakira!” Carson said.

Carson, back from the break on The Voice, showed a clip of The Voice: The Confessionals about quotes and sentiments of the performers and judges about their mothers, in honor of the upcoming holiday, Mother’s Day.

Then, Carson announced another performer saved by your votes, America: “America saved — from Team Adam — Christina Grimmie!”

The Voice Live Eliminations Elite 8 Become Fantastic 5 (Recap/Review)

WOO-HOO! Christina joins the Fantastic Five who will be moving on to next week! After another commercial break, we’ll learn who the last person is who America’s votes have saved, then we will hear the Bottom Four sing for the chance to be Instantly Saved and move on.

Christina, Josh, Delvin, and Sisaundra will be performing “Latch” before we hear any further results. They are FANTASTIC — Sisaundra and Christina hit the high notes with ease, and Josh and Delvin have such soulful, cool-sounding voices. They harmonize extremely well together. The audience clapped their hands right from the start of the song.

Carson: “The last artist saved by America’s vote is — America saved — Jake Worthington! He’s the last person saved by last night’s overnight vote! Each judge has someone representing his or her team. It’s up to you and everyone else watching the show to Instantly Save one of them!”

Back from another commercial break, Sisaundra Lewis sang “You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman ” as her Instant Save song. She NAILED it, and had the audience cheering at various points during the song. The audience, and Blake, gave her a standing ovation.

Usher: “You know your voice is incredible. It’s obviously in America’s hands. I think it was an amazing performance.”

Shakira: “Your voice is so CRAZY GOOD! You are so gifted.”

Adam: “They say –the show says — that these are the Bottom Four, but all eight of you guys are incredible. There’s no bottom.”

Blake: “It’s contradictory to me to say we’re looking for the best singer in the world and Sisaundra is in the Bottom Four.”

Audra McLaughlin, also from Team Blake, went next. She sang “Done.” Audra got the audience really into the song, and she, like Sisaundra, put her heart and soul into singing this song. She ROCKED it OUT!

Shakira: “This is one of those moments when you have nothing to lose! Man, you’re fierce! I would love to have you stay!”

Adam: “This season, it’s surreal that these people are having to scrap for the last spot. It just doesn’t make sense.”

Blake: ‘She did amazing! Audra, this sucks — I’m sorry about this. America, this girl is world-class. More importantly to me, she’s a country vocalist. Save Audra, please!”

Kat Perkins, from Team Adam, sang “Barracuda” for her chance to be Instantly Saved by your votes, America. She sang a PERFECT version of this Heart song, and had the audience clapping right from the start of the song. She sang the CRAP out of this song!

Usher: “This performance basically took me back to the beginning. That was amazing! Your’e an amazing vocalist.”

Adam: “I believe that Terri McDermot and Kat Perkins are the two most rocking people to have ever been on The Voice.”

Carson: “Singing ‘Young Girls’ from Team Adam is Delvin Choice.” Delvin is AWESOME, also! He definitely isn’t making the choice of who to Instantly Save any easier for you, America — they all deserve to continue on. Delvin put so much heart and soul into this song.

Shakira: “I’ve been secretly rooting for you the whole time. You’re an amazing vocalist. there’s nothing you do wrong up there.”

Adam: “No one sounds like Delvin — no one! He doesn’t deserve to be in the Bottom Four, and neither does Kat.”

The Voice went to yet another commercial break. When the show returns, we’ll hear, at last, who the final performer will be who will be moving on to next week.

Carson asked Blake and Adam to argue their cases to America, to get their competitors Instantly Saved. Carson said “One of you was Instantly Saved by America’s tweets. the other three will, unfortunately, leave The Voice tonight. America Instantly Saved — Kat Perkins!” Adam came running up, and hugged both Delvin and Kat, who were hugging each other.  It was a touching, but bittersweet, moment on The Voice.

What an AMAZING episode of The Voice! The Bottom Four really were so terrific, they didn’t deserve to be in the Bottom Four — but, neither did the other performers. The Instant Save performances that the Bottom Four gave were each incredible, in their own right, and would likely have been good enough to Instantly Save any of the Bottom Four under other circumstances. However, tonight, it was Kat Perkins who was Instantly Saved by your tweets, America! What are you thoughts about tonight’s episode of The Voice? Please leave your comments below!

Written by: Douglas Cobb

27 Responses to "The Voice Live Eliminations Elite 8 Become Fantastic 5 (Recap/Review)"

1. Bryan   May 7, 2014 at 8:22 pm

OK come on… If you really care about who stays on the show.. then you STILL CAN VOTE in the instant save no matter where you are.. You just have to check your twitter and follow The Voice and wait until they announce when the instant save window is open.. even if you didn’t get to watch it, you can still make a judgement call on who you think deserves it.. If you really freakin care THAT MUCH then it’s on you to vote in the instant save when it happens in real time.

2. Joyce Fischer   May 7, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Joyce
    May 7, 2014

We were big fans of The Voice until last night. When we found out that Sisuandra and Delvin were voted off the show, we both said we are done watching. Can someone explain how Jake has a spot in the finals? We can’t wait to find out that he has been booted ( no pun intended) off the show. Would love to hear the opinions of the judges on this. Hopefully, some intelligent person will come along and give Sisaundra and Delvin record deals. What a pity, but remember what happened to Jennifer Hudson!!

3. Dexter   May 7, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I use to love the voice, but I am beginning to realize that it’s about who is truly the best singer or performer, but who the producers want to remain. There is no way that Sisaundra Lewis should have been eliminated. It tells you who truly watches the show. She was better by far than any of the others. Maybe America didn’t think she should have been on the country team. But I feel she was robbed and the show is making the decisions who to keep. The same thing happened to Sasha Allen last season. My days of watching this show is over.

4. ED   May 7, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Trust me, next Monday is retribution day for the hillbilly. I am so tired of him I could scream. Whiny baby crying on stage every week. Heck, I can’t stand his twang and I’m southern myself. And Kristen’s stupid deer in the headlights look with her men’s clothing isn’t much better. However, what happened last night, should solidify to all of you that this is NOT a serious competition. Do you see them soaking up all the publicity for it today? It was on every news channel. A sacrifice, if you will, to the dark gods of television. And the bottom 4 last night were led to the slaughter just as they are on EVERY OTHER VOCAL COMPETITION you have ever seen. Think about it. How many of the contestants who are really really good (Jennifer Hudson, etc) actually win???? Folks, that doesn’t make ratings. Booting off 3 of the best singers to come along on one of these shows…well, that makes for next day fodder on every single channel now doesn’t it? You think if Jake went home anyone would be saying anything other than, thank god Jake went home?!!!?

5. Linda Knox   May 7, 2014 at 10:40 am

Face it Voice Fans…Fans have the final say..(Ratings guys Ratings),it’s never just about who has the most electrifying, magnifying, Gooseflesh raising, voice…it’s about scratching the Network’s back, & them scratching back…Thank Goodness we also have Talent Scouts inside of the Coaches (Audra, Delvin, & SisSaundra), hey…They will go on!!! I too, thought Audra or Josh had this Linda Knox Penna.

6. arlene   May 7, 2014 at 10:20 am

Sisaundra and Delvin were the top singers…..Its like American idol its not about the talent anymore. The Instant save should be eliminated What a disappointment

7. Jay Holland   May 7, 2014 at 9:28 am

I still think Tess got nailed on the last two song choices plus she seemed out of breath at times. I still think she has a great voice that could go far especially with a good coach. No bleach blond afro. Just a wholesaome college student that works with kids and can sing. Sisaundra is a lounge singer. Complain about the iTunes thing all you want but I purchase the song because I like it and want to listen to it again and again. If your not up there on iTunes don’t expect to win because people don’t like you enough to want to hear you sing that song again. The left coast we don’t care about. They screw us on football games all the time. I’m tired of staying up till 1:00 AM to watch the end of a game. Turn about is fair play. We have enough problems with the hillbillies below the Mason-Dixon line anyway, beating out great singers ….and I’m not talking about Danielle. I bought her new album. That’s my kind of Country and Jake should be strumming his guitbox by a fire some place and Audra should still be there.

8. Susan   May 7, 2014 at 9:12 am

I could not agree more! What are we out West; Chopped liver! Cancel your stupid live twitter votes

9. Kay King   May 7, 2014 at 8:03 am

Very disappointed with the results. It is obvious that other factors are being included in the decision making. Sisaundra is truly an extremely talented artist who didn’t receive the results she so deserves. I have been a follower of the Voice since the beginning but am now questioning the process. Does the Voice now deserve the viewer ratings???? Professionals should be judging these talented artists not “viewers”!! I’m finished being a loyal follower.

10. jan stone   May 7, 2014 at 6:32 am

I am very disappointed that Sisaundra did not make it. What a voice! Audra should also have moved on. I majored in music and some of the other rock performances left me wondering what is America thinking ? I didn’t know that the west coast did have time to get in on the voting. Does this make it fair? Yes, I also think the coaches should have some input to the voting at the end. After all they worked with these performers and molded them. It seems to me there needs to be some changes made!

11. bonnie   May 6, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Forgot to add…very disappointed that Delvin was sent home

12. bonnie   May 6, 2014 at 11:47 pm

‘The Voice” should stop representing that “America saved” via instant twitter…call it what it is, “the people who live in the eastern standard time zone of America” saved…..

13. Cindy   May 6, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I’m shocked, Sisaundra should have been in the final 5… She should have won. Terribly disappointing. Kristin??? over Delvin??? Wow. So it’s all about twitter & downloading, the rest of the country doesn’t count. I like the one more performance for purely for entertainment value…but not everyone is on twitter.

14. Brielle   May 6, 2014 at 9:57 pm

It really doesn’t seem fair to the singers or us on the west coast. We don’t get to vote, by the time it is broadcast here it says the voting has been closed because it was previously recorded. So all of us on PST don’t get to vote. That doesn’t seem fair…….aren’t we part of America too?

15. Jim   May 6, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Jake should not have moved on. He got there strictly on the country vote and Blake Shelton’s popularity. I’m surprised though that Audra didn’t get that vote over him. Sisaundra has a great voice but she’s a little boring and her song choices weren’t very good. You have to look at who is doing the voting….when you’re talking about online voting, texting toll numbers, buying iTunes songs, tweeting, then that means the vote skews younger. So being an older woman with a reserved, plain personality singing songs from 20-40 years ago isn’t going to pull in the votes. Kat definitely deserved to stay because she had the best performance last night and had the best performance of tonight. The others were shaky tonight. Can’t imagine anyone but Christina or Josh will win this thing though.

16. Pat   May 6, 2014 at 9:49 pm

The instant save stinks. Not all time zones get to vote. Done watching!!!

17. Mike A   May 6, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Yeah, I agree with a lot of these comments. Audra had one of the best performances last night and in no should have to sing to be saved. Jake? Kristen? They should have been in the bottom. Sisaundra should have been safe too. What a let down!

18. Carol   May 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I love the Voice, but can’t believe the best singers in my opinion didn’t make it to the finals. I truly believe that Sisaundra should have won the Voice. I realize she is a back up singer, but has a very powerful voice and a true showman! Hopefully, a record company will pick her up . Look at past history…the one’s that won, or no longer around!!! Does that tell you something America?????

19. Kathleen Vandervort (@KatVandy88)   May 6, 2014 at 9:22 pm

First I am very disappointed that Audra has left. As for Sisaundra, so many can sing like her and I believe she sang with Celine, that is not an amateur in my eyes. That and her popularity and talent made her get less votes. The best singers often leave as fans take for granted how good they are keeps them there. As we see it does not, because 2 of the worst singers weren’t even in the bottom. People are voting for them as they loyal yet they have not grown just repeated. You want someone who can make it big and I just don’t see it in Jake and Kristen, and hey Kristen is my daughter’s name so yeah if she was that good and ready i would say yeah! This is a singing competition. People should vote for pure talent! Kat and Christina are the best creative wise. Well those are my thoughts. 🙂

20. Alicia   May 6, 2014 at 9:05 pm

The three who should have left based on last night’s performance were Audra, Kat and Jake. I really like Kat and Jake, but if you go by performances, they were the weakest. I didn’t see the elimination show though, so maybe Kat really deserved to stay, but I doubt it.

21. Margaret Cook   May 6, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Who is voting? Should downloading a popular song have more weight than voting for absolutely fabulous vocalists like Sisaundra, Delvin or Audra? They should have been in the top 5 for sure!

22. LA   May 6, 2014 at 8:59 pm

America has bad taste I guess cause the best did go home. Come on…..jake over Audra???

23. Tomi   May 6, 2014 at 8:40 pm

The show results have sucked! It’s lost its direction on who the best are! You saved weaker singers and let the best go! Go back review your process so the results don’t suck and these performers don’t get selected and we never hear from them as they are not good!

24. Diane Lennon   May 6, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I cannot believe Sisaundra didn’t make it as part of the first group; totally shocked that America didn’t save her!

25. Julie   May 6, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Can’t believe sisaundra got voted off. I’m done with the voice.

26. Michael Bartlett   May 6, 2014 at 8:17 pm

They sent home two best singers Audra and Sisaundra. Very disappointed.

27. Linda   May 6, 2014 at 7:53 pm

I absolutely love The Voice – watched it since the beginning. I’m shocked that Jake and Kat were saved. I thought for sure that Sisaundra and Delvin or Audra would make it. Jake seems nice, but over the other three? I think the judges should have some part in the decision making. Not sure how, but voters often select people out of loyalty, not who is the best.