Several major motion picture sequels are on the movie menu for the next couple of years. Fans have been ranting and raving in anticipation of seeing what will happen to some of their favorite concepts and characters, as top franchises continue to roll out productions. Here is a list the top 20 most anticipated movie sequels coming up!
20. World War Z is the adaption of Max Brook’s best selling zombie books. The first film was plagued with setbacks when it went into production in 2013, but opened with $25 million its first day. The second film will be using a different director, who goes by the name of J.A. Bayona. To date, there has been no current word on a release date.
19. The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist (2013) – The Conjuring gave viewers a glimpse into the mostly true-life story of two paranormal investigators from Connecticut. The film was a reminder of how good classic haunting films can be when done right. Writers Carey and Chad Haynes return for the sequel, which is set to be released October 23, 2015.
18. 22 Jump Street, the remake of the 80’s TV show, 21 Jump Street, was released back in 2012 with great reviews. The comedy film prepares to release its second movie on June 13, 2014.
17. Mission Impossible 5 – The Mission Impossible movies are a highly followed and beloved series. Christopher McQuarrie jumps on the bandwagon to direct Mission Impossible 5. Tom Cruise will return as Ethan Hunt on December 25, 2015.
16. Beverly Hills Cop 4 is part of a series that has amassed 3 movies, starting with the original, Beverly Hills Cops in 1984. Eddie Murphy returns as Officer Axel Foley in this action comedy film. The release date has been set for March 25, 2016.
15. The Amazing Spider-Man 3 – Shorty after the release of The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Marvel Studios announced The Amazing Spider-Man 3. With actor Andrew Garfield revamping the roll as the classic superhero, fans cannot expect him to stay off the screen for long. Spidey swings back into theaters June 10, 2016.
14. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For – This long-awaited crime thriller is set to be released on August 22, 2014. Sin City was released back in 2005, as the movie adaption of the popular graphic novel series. Familiar characters return as they take you back to the dangerous Sin City streets.
13. Ted 2 – The mastermind, Seth McFarlane, released Ted back in 2012. On June 26, 2015, he will grace fans with a sequel. Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis will return, along with Amanda Seyfriend.
12. The Hobbit: There and Back Again – This is the third and final release in Peter Jackson Hobbit trilogy. There has been no release date or current production information, but fans can expect Martin Freeman and Ian McKellen to have sword in hand and ready for the next film.
- Independence Day 2 is an interesting and random sequel that is in the works. Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin are still working out details, and have released little information on the second part of their 1996 blockbuster.
10. Batman v Spiderman: Dawn of Justice – This will be the super hero mash-up fans have been waiting to see on screen. Zack Snyder of Man of Steel and Watchmen is preparing to give the audience what they want on May 6, 2016.
9. Prometheus 2 – Prometheus came out in 2012 as a prequel to the popular Alien series. Ridley Scott prepares to show the audience what happened after Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender strand themselves on a desolate planet. Prometheus 2 is set to be in theaters on March 4, 2016.
8. Star Wars Episode 7 – Star Wars is one of the top earning movie franchises the US has ever seen, and it is planning to continue its saga on December 18, 2015. The film has caused a media buzz with its plans to bring back old cast members, including Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher.
7. Hunger Games: Mockingjay Parts 1 and 2 – The Hunger Games is the popular book series created by Francis Lawrence. After fighting her way out of The Hunger Games, as well as catching on fire, Jennifer Lawrence returns as Katniss in a new part of the series. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay is to take place during the fictional world’s eventual and necessary revolt against the capital.
6. Mad Max: Road Fury is another random and amazing film sequel in the works. This remake of the 1979 Mel Gibson film is set to star Tom Hardy as the madman himself. The action thriller hits theaters on May 15, 2014.
5. Finding Dory – The beloved Pixar film Finding Nemo (2003) gets a sequel on June 17, 2016. This time around, forgetful fish Dorey is the one getting lost. Ellen DeGeneres returns as the voice of Dorey.
4. X-Men Apocalypse – With X-Men: Days of Future Past still in theaters, the media has been all over reports of the next film in line. This famed Marvel series continues May 27, 2016.
3. Terminator: Genesis – Arnold Schwarzenegger returns as the intimidating and iconic Terminator in Terminator: Genesis. Emilia Clark, of Game of Thrones, will be taking over as Sarah Connor. The release date is set for July 1, 2015.
2. Jurassic World – Jurassic Park has always been a very successful series, with its 1993 film sparking several sequels and a toy line. The last film produced, Jurassic Park 3, landed with poorer reviews than the previous films. For the first time in 14 years, the series returns to theaters on June 12, 2015.
1. Avengers: Age of Ultron tops the list of the 20 most anticipated movie sequels coming up. Joss Whedon returns as the writer and director of the extremely successful superhero series. With the smashing box office success of The Avengers back in 2012, fans have been waiting for the sequel, which is set to be released on May 1, 2015.
Opinion By Morgan Louchen