The Vampire Diaries’ Damon Salvatore Is Not Going Anywhere

The Vampire Diaries

It seems like Damon Salvatore is not going anywhere other than The Vampire Diaries set just yet. Ian Somerhalder, who plays the older Salvatore vampire brother, told Hollywood Life just that in an interview. He also talked about the “game over” picture that he shared on his Instagram profile.

Many fans have been panicking since the end of season five. In fact, fans started to panic in the penultimate episode of the season when Stefan Salvatore (Paul Wesley) saw his own heart in the hands of another—literally—before turning to ash. Many fans took to Twitter to express their hatred for the move, and begged the cast to bring him back.

In the end, Stefan was saved and Damon was the one fans had to say goodbye to. At least for now. Nobody knows where Damon and his dead anchor companion, Bonnie, went after the bright light consumed them. All they know is the “other side” was disintegrating before their very eyes.

It is not that surprising that Somerhalder is being kept on. The main cast did have six year contracts—although there was allegedly a clause that says they can be written out at any point during those six years depending on the storyline—and the show has brought back its dead characters time and time again. One case in point is Alaric, who is becoming a series regular after being killed off at the end of season three.

Somerhalder has now confirmed that The Vampire Diaries’ Damon Salvatore is not going anywhere just yet. He also confirmed that the “game over” picture was just a joke, and a way to tease his fans. The actor is not allowed to give too much away, and probably does not know everything planned for the upcoming season six anyway.

It will be interesting how The Vampire Diaries writers are going to pull it off this time. There is no “other side” now, according to the end of the last season. Of course, that does not mean that Damon and Bonnie did not go somewhere else that they can be pulled back from. There is also the chance of the “other side” being recreated. After all, it was witch magic that created it in the first place. All the group would need to do is find a witch and something they can use as an anchor again, and then work out the spell that was originally used.

The show has been going around in circles lately of how to save each person. Part of season five was about how to save Bonnie after her death, and there have been moments of saving Stefan and Elena. It makes sense that it is Damon’s turn to be saved—along with Bonnie yet again. The problem is that it is making death seem meaningless on the show. The main characters will always be saved, so there is really no point in getting upset that anyone is dying. The Vampire Diaries writers do not seem to see it that way though, as Damon Salvatore is not actually going anywhere just yet.

Opinion by Alexandria Ingham

Source:

Hollywood Life

10 Responses to "The Vampire Diaries’ Damon Salvatore Is Not Going Anywhere"

1. solari   February 26, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Not watch ouch harsh.. I love Damon/Ian but come on seeing how he returns is half the fun of the show. People please grow up.. Oh and how about a love connection between Damon and Alaric…they are soul mates!

2. Damon fan   July 16, 2014 at 8:42 am

They can’t kill off Damon because the majority of viewers only watch TVD because of damon. I know for a fact that I will not continue watching the vampire diaries until it is official that Damon has been brought back from the dead

3. LOVE DELENA   June 13, 2014 at 9:08 am

“the other side is gone for good” there is no other side or it could be recreated. julieplec teased that there is gono be permanent death. so may be Damon & bonni were saved by grams sacrifice

4. violetharmontheghost   June 9, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Everyone deserves another chance to live and so does damon and Bonnie. (But wheres Lexi) is she safe. Macy Damon will tell Elena he loves her when he sees her again. maby he will call her by a loving name. Don’t get me wrong I like stelena but I liked elena to. And I thank Elena’s a good influence and a good person to be around. I don’t want to see Enzo go pure evil though.

5. Violet Harmon   June 9, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Yay!!! Now Damon has another chance to show the world that he is not a heartless vampire. And that he has good in him. But if u can’t already see it. Then that is trueley horrible.

6. michelle   June 7, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Im so thrilled my baby Stephen is zAlive n Well.♡ I think Damon id cuteeeee.but I just love Paul Wesley who is Stephen Salvador .the little brother of Damon Salvatore. I like both of them. I do not like either brother w Elana.she always needs them both.Well Stephen my love you deserve So much better than Elana..I hope the next season changes thingd up . Both hot bros need new woman 4 romance.

• Sucks   July 16, 2014 at 8:45 am

I’m sure your thrilled that your favourite salvation brother is safe. But you know what else I’m sure of? That your not a real fan. You can’t even spell the name right.

7. jessicahamunyelawambo   June 5, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I know right I love Damon, Kat, and Bon-Bon there are my fav characters and right now the like kiled all of them BRING THEM Back Now. You can switch
    Kat for Elena she is soooooooooo boring, i thought being a vamp will change her but turns out i was way wrong.) and switch Damon for Matt (no one really cares about him)

8. angel gillespie   June 5, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I hope Damon comes back to live so Stefan and Elena can see him.

9. Yashar   June 4, 2014 at 4:52 pm

All this panic is due to “Game of Thrones”. They kill off their main characters so easily. I am just afraid other shows writers might get jealous to them and suddenly start killing their actors too. Anyway I Damon comes back, I want Katerina back as well. She was may more fun than Elena.