Whoopi Goldberg Sole Host of The View After ABC Lets Her Co-hosts Go

Whoopi Goldberg Sole Host of The View After ABC Lets Her Co-hosts Go

Whoopi Goldberg is, for now, anyway, the sole host of The View after her co-hosts got let go in a stunning move by execs at ABC. After the execs announced on Thursday night that big changes were about to happen on The View, they made good on their statement by not renewing the contracts of Whoopi’s co-hosts, Jenny McCarthy and Sherrie Shepherd.

On Thursday, Shepherd and McCarthy confirmed on social media that they were departing The View and will no longer be co-hosts alongside comedian and actress, Whoopi Goldberg.

According to The View spokeswoman, Lauri Hogan, in an article in the New York Daily News, the series “will be moving in an exciting new direction next season.” She also mentioned that “ABC has made decisions to evolve the show creatively.”

Jenny McCarthy’s contract with ABC reportedly was going to run out in July, and she and the network execs were unable to agree on terms for a new contract. The execs decided not to renew her contract for another season.

Fans of The View will probably not miss the departing co-hosts immediately, as it will not be broadcast next week due to the July 4th holiday that is coming up. Staff members were told of the departure of the two co-hosts, Shepherd and McCarthy, at a meeting where the show’s future direction was also discussed.

No word has yet been announced yet if Sherrie Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy will return live on The View on Monday, July 7, to say goodbye to their fans.

The View was created by Barbara Walters, 84, in 1997. She was one of the show’s co-hosts before she retired, and Walters still remains the executive producer of the series. Walters had no comment to make when asked about the firings of Shepherd and McCarthy.

Whoopi Goldberg, 58, is the last remaining co-host of The View — for now. That will probably not last for very long, as ABC will probably try to sign two other co-hosts as quickly as possible, so that Goldberg does not have to try to carry the show by herself.

Though there have been rumors that one of the executive producers of The View, Bill Geddie, 58, was also let go, an inside source reportedly said that he is currently in the process of renegotiating his contract and that he will be back.

After having spent what Sherrie Shepherd calls “seven wonderful years,” being a co-host of The View, she said in a statement that “it is time for me to move on.”

Jenny McCarthy might have been able to remain on as a co-host of The View, but she expressed her loyalty to and sisterhood with Shepherd by tweeting “If Sherri goes I go too.” The ABC execs apparently decided to take her at her word, as she will also not be returning to the show after the July holiday hiatus ends.

According to a source who spoke to FOX411, the network thought that Jenny McCarthy “didn’t appeal to the daytime audience market.” Also, when her one-year contract ended, ABC decided not to renew it.

Without getting into specifics, ABC stated that next year, decisions that the network had made would “evolve the show creatively.” At least as of now, the network apparently intends to keep on Whoopi Goldberg as the sole remaining host of The View.

With the dust still settling after the decision made by ABC not to renegotiate the contracts of Sherrie Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy, only Whoopi Goldberg is left to host The View. There will definitely be changes made to The View, but so far, ABC has not released the details about what the changes will be. Any changes made, including the hiring of new co-hosts, might possibly be held off for as long as until next year, as ABC execs state that it will be next year when the show would “evolve.”

Written by: Douglas Cobb

NYDailyNews.com
FoxNews.com
DailyFreeman.com

30 Responses to "Whoopi Goldberg Sole Host of The View After ABC Lets Her Co-hosts Go"

1. Roger de Jesus (@RedejesusDe)   July 6, 2015 at 10:10 am

What used to be a great show is now a trash show!!!! Get rid of Goldberg!!!!! She is overly “negative” for the issues discussed in the view!!!

2. Brenda Bolton   October 29, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I have just recently started watching , I think the show is great and love the ladies .I really enjoy the REAL conversations about what is happening in the real world as well as having four different views IT IS GREAT!!!!!!! Thanx for the real stuff. By the way I’m in Canada ,tried to check out the Must have Mondays stuff but was unable to .Is Canada not included in this??? Brenda

3. Nancy wieloch   September 25, 2014 at 8:48 am

Whoopsie is the best. Sorry I will not be watching the View any more. Get Sheri & Jenny back. I will not watch with Rosie on & I do not like the other new cast.

4. linda lytle   September 19, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I had stopped watching the view the last couple years because of the co hosts. I love the two Rosies and will now start watching again.

5. MARGARET A LONG   September 19, 2014 at 8:44 am

The show on Friday was so touching,about Robert Williams and I can see Whoopi you have a great heart and true feelings…. God Bless you and Billy Crystal and are great friend Robert Williams!!!!He is now with my husband and parents…. He will be busy making them laugh…..

6. audrey   September 19, 2014 at 8:39 am

Will stop watching for sure do not like Rosie at all home and family much better!!!

7. Lloyd E Chisum   September 8, 2014 at 8:27 am

Kathy Lee needs to think about what she did in the Korean War. To me she’s a B & a traitor!

8. Ruthie   August 8, 2014 at 5:28 pm

I love the idea of Rosie coming back, she’ll make the show much more exciting! I can’t wait!!!

9. Kathy   August 7, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Whoopi is the best ever. I think adding men is wrong as this has always been a women’s show and I truly enjoy listening to just discuss topics from a women’s point of View. I feel a great loss in the departure of Jennie McCarthy and Sherry Shepard. I feel sick that Rosie O’Conner is coming back. She was terrible previously. There have to be better women out there to select from to work with Whoopi who is intelligent, knowledgeable, professional and amazingly smart as they come. She stays on subject at all times. She would be a GREAT LOSS to the show. PLEASE do not bring MEN to this show as co-hosts. Barbara is smarter than that. Please consider my opinion as I love this WOMENS SHOW.

10. Linda Gale   August 7, 2014 at 8:27 am

PLEASE do not put Sunny Hostin on your show. I have been a loyal viewer since the beginning. She is disgusting. I may not agree with all hosts, which is to be expected, but she Ms. Hostin would make me stop watching.

11. Gloria Chambers   August 6, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I’m delighted that Whoopi is staying! She has a level head on her shoulders and makes good sense. Loved Meredith and Joy. Won’t miss Sherri or Jenny. Not looking forward to Rosie again. Love having Mario Cantone on as a guest.

12. Barb   August 5, 2014 at 9:05 am

Pease keep sherry

13. J.Lang   July 14, 2014 at 4:20 pm

I have watch the View since around 2000, my husband has watched It with me, I guess after sherri and Jenny are no longer on, we will QUIT WATCHING IT.

14. Cindy Pulliam   July 14, 2014 at 10:35 am

Good riddance to big mouth Sherry, know it all! I liked Jenny. Glad rosie is joining!
    even more glad when you got rid of Elizabeth! Hopefully, someone else good will be coming.

15. Dusty   July 8, 2014 at 8:38 am

Older lady who has watched The View for years and I liked the panel ? Jenny was a vibrant addition and sorry but too many women were jealous she is one neat sexy lady. Sherri just was not in a happy place the past year and it showed she was not herself and was too verbal at times. Time for Barbara to go off into the sunset. totally have admired her for years and if she has not made a comment on these two leaving WHY NOT? Was she behind this move? Please no Palin or Kathy Griffin ? I have already left Regis old show, he made this show. Just not the same vibe. Not so sure many of the so called executives know what they are doing today? . CNN has changed now , just not the same news show it was for years under Ted Turner,.I also liked Piers. I liked Joy. What is going on with Cooper now? Even MSNBC has a problem with their shows at night. One time they had on Donny Deutsch and he was a super host and great interviews. . I now go to Aljazerra for real news again. I go to Oprahs cable for some of her shows. Both Sherri and Jenny will survive and move on without a problem.

16. Kathleen Edkins Salamon   July 7, 2014 at 1:54 pm

The view is done for me. A bunch of screaming clueless woman. All three especially Whoopie were so rude to Carson. He has some excellent ideas if anyone on this narrow minded show would have ever let him talk. Goodbye Jenny and Sherri, you two turned the view into a circus show. Neither, ever added anything. Sherri will finally have to let someone else talk. Maybe they can talk about something other then sex parts now.

17. Margy Gibb   July 7, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I’m shocked! Loved those 2 ladies. Hope they haven’t made a big mistake.

18. ana correa   July 7, 2014 at 10:38 am

glad to see sherry and jenny go. never like sherry for day one and forget jenny. good goodby

19. Sandyoh   July 7, 2014 at 10:17 am

I say good riddance to Jenny McCarthy, she was annoying..I think Sherri will be missed, Jenny was quoted as saying she has an announcement regarding a show that may be competition..can’t imagine anything with HER on it would be competition

20. pamela peterson   July 1, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Pity we couldn’t get you in Australia.

21. Gail Roberts   June 30, 2014 at 12:17 pm

It would be refreshing to have some knowledgeable intelligent heavy hitters on this show. It is a show FOR WOMEN and I do not resonate to the MALE GUESTS who have been on. I would like to see Rosie O Donnell back because I think Whoopi can handle her … I am sorry Meredith left … I like her authenticity … Please No One like Star Jones! Lisa Ling was good … how about Margaret Cho? A variety of race, is interesting for it makes for a “Multi Grain” Show.

22. Monica Gotts   June 30, 2014 at 10:36 am

None of us know what goes on with networks and contracts. As a loyal viewer of this program I think we all need diversity. I for one would be turned off if everyone agreed all the time.i love it when they are ” real ” .so whoever they choose, I hope a.b.c keeps that in mind. I am never going to agree with all their thoughts, how boring that would be! I am sure there have been survey focus groups done, although I have never been a part of one.sorry to see them go. I do wish I knew how networks decide who their viewers want to see.? It was time for Barbara to go. To many changes at once , I fear will turn people off, literally!

23. toni hammer   June 30, 2014 at 9:49 am

mistake… keep these ladies.. I watch all the time. it is refreshing and funny.. not the same blow hole politics all the time.. that moved to fox.. so keep it there…

24. Linda Jones   June 30, 2014 at 8:35 am

If you wait until next year to introduce “spectacular evolving” of the show you might as well know the show will be so far below bottom it has NO chance of reviving the audience.

25. chris   June 30, 2014 at 7:16 am

Bad decision! Love both those girls

26. Alice   June 29, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Sherri was SO funny, and who doesn’t love Jenny McCarthy’s sense of humor! Two great gals that I will miss each morning. I am totally shocked! I would have added
    Mario Cantone to the line up and Brooke Shields, and it would have been a great show!
    Not so crazy about Whoopi and her “know it all” attitude.

27. Patricia Gushue   June 29, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Sorry to see Sherry go. She has grown professionally these last seven years

28. Diane   June 29, 2014 at 10:45 am

Sherri was best friends with Elisabeth, she had her in her bridal party. Now I guess you knife anyone in the back, because ABC and would not give her the money she thought she deserved. They thought she wasn’t that important to the show, I guess it hurt her ego. Elisabeth already had a job lined up, when she left. I guess things weren’t as happy at the view as they seemed

29. Quisenberry   June 29, 2014 at 10:35 am

I was thrilled at the announcement that was made Friday!!! I sure did not like Sherri and her comments and her air about her about everything she opened her big mouth about..I turned right off. The Talk is so much better. My husband does not like Ross so that wouldn’t be a plus!!??

30. Linda Sheckles   June 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Sorry to see Sherri go, but was shocked at her cruel remark about Elisabeth Haaselbeck being a goody two shoes. For shame Sherri.