The View: Barbara Walters’ Farewell Show Set up Rosie O’Donnell to Co-Host?

The View

Elisabeth Hasselbeck, former panelist on The View on ABC, suggested that a conspiracy could be behind Rosie O’Donnell returning to co-host the show and that Barbara Walters’ farewell show was a vehicle for it to happen. On Wednesday, in the middle of her vacation, Hasselbeck phoned into the Fox & Friends morning news show which she now co-hosts sounding peeved that Rosie O’Donnell had signed a contract and will be coming back to co-host The View with Whoopi Goldberg.

Rosie O’Donnell, 52, and Elisabeth Hasselbeck, 37, had a major argument in 2007, causing O’Donnell to leave the show while there was still one month left on her year-long contract. Hasselbeck suggested that her own departure from The View, last year, could have had something to do with paving the way for O’Donnell’s return.

Hasselbeck stated that she thought “this has been in the works a long, long time.” She added that hearing the news helped “ruin” her vacation.

The conservative newswoman likened the re-hiring of Rosie O’Donnell to “not securing the border.” Hasselbeck referred to Rosie O’Donnell as being “the very woman who spit in the face of our military.” Continuing, Hasselbeck said that O’Donnell also “spit in the face of her own network.”

What is more, Elisabeth Hasselbeck also insinuated that even The View creator Barbara Walters’ farewell show on ABC was a vehicle to set the stage for the return of Rosie O’Donnell. According to Hasselbeck, O’Donnell “seemed to have a lot of control for Barbara’s farewell show.” She went on to say that O’Donnell took credit for the idea and stated that the farewell show was “Rosie O’Donnell’s ‘Hello show,’ in my opinion.”

The former co-host of The View, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, also prognosticated future trouble between Whoopi Goldberg and Rosie O’Donnell. She expressed her opinion that she did not believe “it would be wise for Rosie O’Donnell to challenge Whoopi Goldberg on anything.”

Rosie O’Donnell reportedly has it in her contract that she will have at least some of the say over any other co-host that will be hired to work alongside her on The View. That includes, according to sources, there being a stipulation in O’Donnell’s contract that anyone who has been on a reality show will not be hired as the third co-host.

Although The View had some of its highest-rated shows while both Rosie O’Donnell and Elisabeth Hasselbeck were two of the co-hosts, O’Donnell has stated that the reason she left was because the verbal battles she engaged in with Hasselbeck were encouraged.

According to The Examiner, Fox News has claimed that Rosie O’Donnell will be taking over Barbara Walters’ role as the “head honcho” of the series. Fox News is also reportedly playing up the supposed stipulation in O’Donnell’s contract that gives her say as to who will be hired to join Whoopi Goldberg and herself as the third co-host of The View.

Elisabeth Hasselbeck, former panelist of The View on ABC, expressed her opinion on Wednesday that Rosie O’Donnell’s return to The View was set up by Barbara Walters’ farewell show. In a phone call from the vacation she is on to Fox & Friends morning news program, Hasselbeck voiced her concern about the hiring of O’Donnell and her viewpoint that O’Donnell’s return has been in the process of being set up for a very long time. When Rosie O’Donnell was on The View, the show had fairly consistent high ratings. ABC appears to be counting on the same thing happening again.

Written By Douglas Cobb

SanJoseMercuryNews
Starpulse
Examiner

45 Responses to "The View: Barbara Walters’ Farewell Show Set up Rosie O’Donnell to Co-Host?"

1. Mary Lou McCauley   August 21, 2014 at 9:45 am

Rosie O’Donnell can be funny, but there is only one viewpoint from her, HER OWN! If anyone expresses a dissenting view, she downplays it, ridicules it or out-talks the other person. I watched her do that countless times on her own show, and since she is being given POWER on this show, she will run with it! Whoopi Goldberg, on the other hand, is an intelligent and fairly courteous person. Rosie doesn’t know the meaning of the word, courtesy! I will never watch The View while she is on the program.

2. Teri B   August 21, 2014 at 8:48 am

Wow! How oddly judgmental of Rosie people are. Lets see she gives millions of dollars to kids Charities, Is entitled to the right of Free Speech and is an amazingly funny and is entitled to her own views she is the type of person that would defend your right of free speech even if it was different than yours.

3. Cathie Ursu   August 18, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I don’t like any of them and never watch the show. I don’t care what they do. In fact, I think it’s high time that the show ENDED!

4. Wanda-Jean   August 16, 2014 at 11:47 am

Will not watch any show with Rosie on it. She makes me want to upchuck!

5. handy dandy   August 14, 2014 at 1:47 pm

likes rosie and cant wait to see the comic geniuses at work

6. Maia   August 9, 2014 at 2:57 pm

I like Elizabeth, don’t care much for Rosie and I don’t watch the show at all when all of the hosts start talking at the same time and I can’t understand any thing.

7. Janet Robertson   August 1, 2014 at 12:11 pm

No way will I watch anything with Rosie on it.

8. carol anne   July 31, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I think it will be great to see Rosie on the View again. Also think she will get along fine with Whoopi

9. Nancy Sisson   July 31, 2014 at 8:58 am

I do not appreciate the fact that Rosie will be back on the View or that she will have anything to do with who else is on the show. I really like whoopi and wish she had her own show. I am 70 years old and intelligent, and don’t like confrontation of any kind, so I will not be watching the show as long as Rosie is on it.

10. webster .   July 29, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I am glad Whoopi is coming back; she’s one of the reasons I watched. Rosie — not so much. I am certain they will spar, perhaps too much. The fact that Rosie had it in her contact that she would pick the third co-host is just too much! Already I’m not liking her again.

11. bbdoodles   July 29, 2014 at 11:45 am

I am VERY VERY happy that Rosie will be back. What you see is what you get. She has done so much good in this world, and I adore her. I adore Whoopie, too. Together I feel they will rule.
    I loved Rosie’s show when it was on and hope for more of the same.

12. Claudia Ferrer   July 28, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Whoopie has a huge ego and seems to think her opinion is always spot on. I can see her and Rosie clashing both thinking they are top dog. Rosie can dish it out but can’t take it.

13. Judy Haas Oshaughnessy   July 28, 2014 at 10:08 am

i stopped watching it when rosie was on. she has to big of a moulth. n thinks she is right all the time. i wont go back to watch it.

14. thelma woodruff   July 28, 2014 at 7:18 am

i think whoopi, should take over the show. she is tops

15. Buffie Berzins   July 26, 2014 at 4:45 pm

I will no longer be watching The View. When it comes to insulting (as in crude, rude and socially unexceptable) she heads the list.

16. ellen walker   July 24, 2014 at 8:09 pm

it should be whoopie, joy, meridith and me for hosts

17. ellen walker   July 24, 2014 at 8:03 pm

i dint enjoy after joy left i love whoopie but do not like rosie i will not watch it with rosie on it she always acted like the whole show was about her. at least put whoopie in the lead spot. i hate to say it but good by view wont watch rosie

18. veronica beaudry   July 23, 2014 at 11:34 am

i so agree with grand liberty

19. [email protected]   July 22, 2014 at 11:39 am

Maybe this is to settle a lawsuit brought about By Rosie O’Donnell. It is not usual for someone who was probably asked to leave the show to be rehired as the head person. Does that ever happen unless a law suit is involved??????

20. elly1rusk   July 21, 2014 at 9:10 am

as far as I am concerned I stopped enjoying the show when Joy Behar left. She always put me in a good mood and I agreed with everything she said.

21. grandma liberty   July 21, 2014 at 8:44 am

I only watched this show one time.. These women are an insult to women everywhere… all it is is a bunch of back biting gossipers with no morals . rather read a good book or paint my nails.

22. Barbara   July 21, 2014 at 8:36 am

I’m thinking the View may need 1, preferably 2 Conservative talk show people to balance out the 2 extreme liberals…otherwise it is a show for only the “left”. I like when things are a bit more evenly split, not so much 2 against 1 or 3 against 1…my 2 cents

23. Connie   July 20, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I love Barbara and Whoopi. I have never cared for Rosie. I probably will never watch The View again when Rosie is back! The woman grades on my nerves and ruins everything she is part of, for me.

24. FRAN   July 20, 2014 at 2:55 am

I NEVER LIKED ROSIES ATTITUDE IN ANYTHING SHE WAS IN. 🙁 BUT I DO LIKE DONALD TRUMP. 🙂 LOL.

25. Karen   July 19, 2014 at 7:32 am

Kudos to whoever sits on a Talk Show Panel. I like Rosie, I like Whoopi, I may start recording the show so I can watch it. Should prove to be entertaining. Never really got into watching the View.

26. Shirley Farr   July 18, 2014 at 6:47 pm

You can bet that I will not be watching The View…I think it is a bad decision to bring Rosie back.Never liked her anyway…That show should be gone…

27. camille   July 18, 2014 at 3:16 pm

LOL…I am STILL in tears, when Rosie had Danny Devito sitiing in her lap, in one episode. Between Rosie and Joy, I was always having to go back to the doctor to restitch my stitiches-NOW that Rosie will be paired with Woopie-I will be needing an Oxygen tank to survive!! lolololololol…….

28. Peggy   July 17, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Too bad if Rosie comes back. I certainly will NOT be watching. Big mouth, ~not needed.

29. Beezy Evans   July 16, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Rosie O’Donnell is interested in no one and nothing but herself, and will do any and everything she can to have things her way. I would have thought we all learned our lessons in dealing with Rosie O’Donnell many years ago. She left a lot of wounded people behind her, and I have no doubt that she will create many problems in the future if she takes over the View. Beezy

30. Nancy Conney   July 15, 2014 at 8:09 pm

What a shame for the view, to let a big mouth back on the show, didn’t watch when she was on, miss Elizabeth, she was a breath of fresh air and a very good girl!

31. Erika Doman   July 14, 2014 at 4:53 am

i wont watch the view anymore..

32. Julie   July 13, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Not interested in seeing Rosie back on the View again. I won’t be watching.

33. arlene   July 13, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Won’t watch if Rosie is back on to bad can’t stand her

34. sandy   July 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm

i will not watch this show again !!!

35. CATHY   July 13, 2014 at 8:55 am

Don’t think Rosie is good for the show. I won’t watch.

36. Yvonne Blackburn   July 13, 2014 at 7:16 am

Stopped watching when Rosie O’Donnell was on The View before, will stop again…Can not stand this loud mouth, know it all Person…With her coming back, as far as I am concerned, The View will be the one in my rear view mirror…

37. Annete   July 12, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Bad News! We won’t be watching that show…….

38. Gloria Sembrano   July 12, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I “loved & enjoyed” watching The View! But I WILL NOT be watching this show anymore! I do not like or can stand Rosie O’Donnell!!! It’s a shame that they have to jump through all of those hoops…for HER!!! I know several people who feel the same way!! :-/

39. Lori   July 11, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Elizabeth, you’re a View gonna so what is it your business who hosts the view. Your views came out of your big mouth and were totally one sided. Sherri is the same way with her big, interrupting mouth, glad she is gone. Contenders, from what I hear are Chelsea Handler, Ross Mathew, and Rosie along with Whoopi. I think they will do a great job together.

40. Alyce   July 11, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Who the hell is judging Rosie for being gay? She is a used up unfunny witch and that has nothing to do with her sexual orientation.

41. Robin   July 11, 2014 at 5:57 pm

some people just don’t like to watch the pros and the cons of situations that concerns everyone. I have a pro and con attitude and if someone has a fair opinion then voice it. Don’t diss Rosie because she has an opinion or maybe cause she is gay? Come on people get a life. Be open to what others have to say and get your head out of the sand. I can’t say I agree with Elizabeth on everything because I think she still has her head in the sand, but I am willing to listen hence, the name of the show “the View” everyone has a view. Open up to other peoples ideas and lets look at it all!! (no i am not gay, but i know one) hahaha

42. Carolyn Stevens   July 11, 2014 at 5:29 pm

If she, Rosie, is on I will not watch it either!

43. Alyce   July 11, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Rosie is an unfunny has-been. Hire Bianca Del Rio

44. ROSEMARY SMITH   July 11, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Will never watch THE VIEW again with ROSIE on it.

45. Sam Jacobs   July 10, 2014 at 1:58 pm