Could Real Life ‘Purge’ Threat Happen This Weekend?

Could Real Life 'Purge' Threat Happen This Weekend?

Could a real life threat, based on the movie The Purge actually happen in Louisville, Kentucky this weekend? Residents of the mid-south city are being warned about just that being possible and authorities say they are ready. The Louisville Metro Police have stated they are taking very seriously the threats that have been made and were based on the violent movie. Many terrorizations have made the rounds on various social media outlets about what is supposedly going to happen in the city starting Friday evening.

The Purge film is centered on a 12 hour period which is selected by the government where there are no laws that are enforced and any type of crime can be committed. One trend going on social media declared the so-called Louisville Purge was going to happen on Friday, Aug. 15. LMPD is reacting to the apparent threat by explaining they are watching everything extremely carefully and are taking each threat received as very serious.

It was reported by one Louisville news agency that fliers and posters had been placed all over the city, and on them were announcements about a Purge crime binge that would go into effect on Friday evening starting at 8:30 p.m. and would last until Saturday morning at 6:30 a.m. for all the residents of the Bluegrass state’s largest city. The LMPD sent out a police news release about all the posters and fliers attempting to assure Louisville residents that the police department would be prepared and ready if any type of mass trouble began to occur.

The Purge

A police spokesperson stated that all threats were taken seriously. Of course everyone hopes that nothing happens, but the Louisville police are prepared in case anything does go awry.

The popularity of the Purge movie, along with its sequel, also joined with global occurrences such as ISIS’s attacking of Iraq, the battles between Israel and Hamas, the conflict happening in Ukraine and even the riots which are now going on near St. Louis in Ferguson, Missouri have all together helped bring extremely violent ideas even more so to public awareness.

The Purge is the first of a fictitious film series where, sometime in the close future, the government permits all crimes to be legal for a 12 hour period. So of course pandemonium strikes as the inmates are allowed to totally take over the asylum. Assault, burglary, rape and murder are all legal, and inhabitants have to go on the defensive for 12 hours to try and stay alive. The first Purge starred Ethan Hawke and Lena Headey and received moderate success when it came out last summer.

Its sequel, Purge: Anarchy, which stars Frank Grillo, opened in theaters in July and got decent reviews.

The ‘Purge’ type threat comes just as the Kentucky State Fair is also opening in the next few days. It is held near Louisville at the Kentucky Exposition Center. With police already being spread thin due to the popular event, this just adds more stress and strain to the threats

Even though the threats could just be just pranks attempting to stir up terror and concern in the city, the Louisville Metropolitan Police Department has made it plain that they are taking these threats extremely seriously and are going to be ready to act if anything does transpire. Such a crime spree threat would be a series of isolated events and in no way would it be a government authorized program as it was portrayed in the two movies. The hypothetical real life ‘Purge’ is supposed to start at sundown on Friday, which will be around 8:30 p.m.

So if a real life situation similar to The Purge was to actually happen in Louisville, Kentucky this weekend, residents have been warned about the dangers and the LMPD states they are ready and prepared.

By Kimberly Ruble

Louisville News

WHAS News

The Inquisitr

88 Responses to "Could Real Life ‘Purge’ Threat Happen This Weekend?"

1. precious tsinnijinnie   November 9, 2016 at 12:43 pm

I wonder if I t will really happen?? if so then , I say this world and society are falling apart!

2. skylynn jones   November 5, 2016 at 12:18 pm

GUYS THE PURGE WONT HAPPEN ITS A MOVIE ITS FAKE IDIOTS

3. teresa   October 24, 2016 at 6:25 pm

yes it sad to think have people real are evil

4. (•)(•) 8====================D   July 7, 2016 at 7:53 pm

IS THE PURGE REAL I WANT TO KNOW THE TIME AND DAYS

5. gungldominic55   July 1, 2016 at 12:34 pm

is the purge real

6. laneixce   November 27, 2015 at 10:33 am

is the purge real?

7. obama jr.   April 28, 2015 at 10:34 am

Shoot anyone that participates.

8. kevin james   September 7, 2014 at 2:09 pm

really fake

9. david adkison   August 30, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Everyone in my family thinks I’m silly for even talking about it,I hope they’re all right.

10. Jerduaa   August 29, 2014 at 11:27 pm

I could see this happening in real life, the world is over populated by way much. Don’t hate me for saying it,just saying a fact.

11. angel daily   August 29, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I’m scared and all I wanna do is protect my family I’m only eleven years OLD!!! so hope u guys stay safe god bless you:-)

12. tashana   August 29, 2014 at 12:01 pm

im thirteen years old and there are a lot of people in my school talking about this this is crazy like its just a movie but I think that the qorld could really end tomorrow I. really scared but I know that god is with me and if its my time then its my time I know that when it is god is qith me at all times and is going to protect me but im still scared though if this do happen be prepared cuz I know me and my fam will be stay safe and pray god will protect us keep your head up and be on the look out love you all good luck.

13. buildin   August 29, 2014 at 8:45 am

were going to die

14. Dumb fake and horrifying   August 28, 2014 at 2:59 pm

This is crazy I hope no one gets hurt or killed this is the dumbest thing in history

15. Mike O'Neill   August 27, 2014 at 10:03 pm

If they try anything around here, they better be ready for all out war…. Too many folk stand with our officers…. They will protect our officers
    ….

16. elle   August 27, 2014 at 7:31 pm

im scared

17. stephan   August 22, 2014 at 9:19 am

yea not real

18. Khalungie Moss   August 22, 2014 at 7:11 am

Not on my birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Fake   August 20, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Its fake but still kinda creeps me out

20. FAKEEEEE   August 16, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Not real. 🙁

21. Claire   August 16, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Is this really happening, personally I just think its a rumor that wants attention and obviously it got it.

22. Nolan   August 16, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Ok for anyone who thinks this “Louisville, Ky Purge” Is real.
    1) Stop watching horror movies, you’re too young.
    2) Don’t believe everything a stranger says.
    3) Use logic, why would the government, who takes years to make a bill, come out in a few months with literally a direct conflict with EVERYTHING in the constitution?

As for me i’m going to enjoy the no-wait lines at restaurants and lack of early morning rush hours.

23. Tewchice   August 16, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Fxck who do purge..cause whoever done it then become idiot dumb

• Yungnino   August 16, 2014 at 7:52 pm

You’re talking about people being idiots when you can’t even type proper english

24. Jesus   August 16, 2014 at 7:48 am

fuk ze police

25. tro   August 16, 2014 at 7:45 am

Or this is all set up by the government for a reason to have military grade weapons more accessible for events such as what happened I’m Ferguson, Missouri.

26. Selena   August 16, 2014 at 12:38 am

Lmao the terroist probably laughing at us cause were destroying ourselves ✋

27. jamarian cleveland   August 16, 2014 at 12:12 am

Dumb Dumb Dumb

28. Silvia   August 15, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Really people why are you doing this I live in Vegas and it says that something will happen tomorrow I’m really scared I hope this is fake who ever made that stupid movie needs to go to jail just because of a movie now people are acting violent and stupid

• Garry Harville   August 16, 2014 at 3:26 am

Although I believe that anyone involved in a so-called purge should absolutely go to jail and never be released. But why should the makers of a movie go to jail because of the content of the movie and the behavior of the viewers? That is a ridiculous statement in itself. America has already became a borderline socialist country. Are you wanting to finish us off?

29. Alex   August 15, 2014 at 11:28 pm

I think people are dumb. They just want more stress in there lifes and making it complicated for themselfs. People are saying, uploading pictures, and videos saying that its happening now?

30. Logan Fendt   August 15, 2014 at 11:22 pm

In the end fake or not this is one of many of Americas flaws. We are always too soft and give criminals and offenders and easy way out but I feel we must enforce the law with brutal force.IE riot squads,live ammunition,and attack dogs sweeping the streets for those who don’t obey the law. I am tired of hearing that we have a fair justice system when we don’t and we are also to soft. Sometimes America needs to realize is that a show of force will keep the crime down. Even if it may cause fear.Peace through power

• Garry Harville   August 16, 2014 at 3:33 am

You are absolutely correct. Our judicial system is a joke. We are a laughingstock across this globe. If our judicial system bitten favor the criminals and we were more diligent in prosecuting and punishing serious crimes and the criminals Who commit them, I believe it would reduce and to deter some of this nonsense.

31. jackie   August 15, 2014 at 11:22 pm

I think that A real Purge will take place within the next few years honestly… it seems like the world is leading to it anyways

32. Lilly   August 15, 2014 at 11:19 pm

OMG really people purge? Really? Ya’ll are some screwed up degusting people.

33. Jonhson Leroy   August 15, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I’m in Georgia are there any threats or anything for Georgia?

34. seth1220   August 15, 2014 at 10:49 pm

well we see how this world is more screwed up than it already is

35. ben   August 15, 2014 at 10:23 pm

the purge is going 2 happin

36. [email protected]   August 15, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Why would people believe something like this? People are either really gullible or really stupid.

• Garry Harville   August 16, 2014 at 3:37 am

You don’t think that this could happen? Well then, you’re either gullible, stupid or both. Because it will happen and it is happening.

37. joanne   August 15, 2014 at 8:58 pm

I’m in ga listening to scanner weirdest thing was male no shirt blue jeans holding a kitty cat an caller stated he was having sex with it. An some purge like phone calls home invasions way scarier

38. Cindy   August 15, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Well then i guess those threats were fake. Nothing happened

39. Wendy   August 15, 2014 at 8:13 pm

I’m surprised kentucky would even have balls to have a purge

• Dave   August 15, 2014 at 8:25 pm

You don’t know Kentucky then.

• Garry Harville   August 16, 2014 at 3:40 am

You don’t know Kentucky at all. LMFAO at you!

• Garry Harville   August 16, 2014 at 3:47 am

You got that right Wendy. Some clown left a comment stating Kentucky didn’t have the balls to purge. I thought that was real funny.

40. Billy bob   August 15, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Hide yo kids hide yo wives

41. Destiny   August 15, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I don’t want to live on this planet any more… How stupid.

42. Shaeshae   August 15, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Well everybody keep your doors lock and keep your kids safe

43. bluekitten   August 15, 2014 at 5:42 pm

I would really love to have a purge here in Texas it would really be a good thing for all the teenagers.

44. Smoothie   August 15, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Well, i’m not worried about a thing. I’m crossing from Indiana to the Kentucky State Fair to see Morris Day and The Time! I think this Purge is a joke and not to mention, there are some trigger happy folk in Kentucky (including police) that’ll do battle with anyone trying to Purge.

45. Robert   August 15, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Call Omar.

46. BOOTSYBOO   August 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I GOT SO MUCH STRESS BUILD UP ALL I CAN SAY IS I WISH A MOTHERF***** WOULD!!!!!!!!!! WITH THIS DUMB A$$ $HI*

47. Louisville Native   August 15, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Not to sound racist, but the fliers are posted primarily in the downtown and West End areas of Louisville, which are primarily black. So those saying “LOL White People” are not being accurate.

48. John   August 15, 2014 at 1:37 pm

This isn’t a purge though… cause in the movie the point was that all crime was legal, like if anyone participated in this they can be arrested and thus it’s not really a purge and it’s just some people saying “let’s go out and murder a bunch of people”

• Louisville Native   August 15, 2014 at 1:46 pm

…pretty much. Which is why it is all hype and no real threat.

49. james   August 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm

People take movies to serious i promise if anyone comes near me or my family blood will be shed and it won’t be mine so think twice about who ppl think is easy targets im not from ky i was born in los Angeles california with ties to big orginzations i am a 5150 case so ppl need to rethink their actions

• JamesMom   August 15, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Easy there francis

50. james   August 15, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Why are white people supposed to he racist? That sounds stupid

51. Dustin Lee   August 15, 2014 at 11:58 am

If they keep it up martial law will happen it happened in China in the 70s I think but its happened in other countries

52. Fred Flintstone   August 15, 2014 at 10:36 am

Wow. You really are in the stone age people. Its a government Conspiracy to invoke Martial Law.

53. Smitty Werben Jagermanjensen   August 15, 2014 at 9:53 am

I kept thinking that it’d be unfortunate for Kentucky to be the first to take the Purge prank outside of its film basis. We haven’t got any notable firsts so if this happens, I hate to think what that does for the tourism of Kentucky.

54. Nicole   August 15, 2014 at 8:24 am

In my opinion I think the purge is a prank. In the flier it said the purge will start from 8:00pm-6:30am.. that’s not even 12 HOURS!!

• Sienna   August 15, 2014 at 8:57 am

8:30pm – 6:30am, which IS 12 hours. Please read the article more carefully.

• Nichole   August 15, 2014 at 9:10 am

Cute, but dumb Sienna. 8:30PM to 8:30AM is twelve hours. 8pm – 6am is ten hours.

• dan1   August 15, 2014 at 9:16 am

Do you know how to count? 8:30 to 6:30 is 10 hours. Plus, the poster says 8:00

55. James   August 15, 2014 at 7:37 am

You know the hardest part about a zombie apocalypse is pretending I’m not excited about it. This is the next best thing. Remember purging goes both ways.

• Joe Bob   August 15, 2014 at 10:55 am

I’m right there with ya. Just got a couple extra clips the other day. I’ll be more than ready.

• Nocty   August 15, 2014 at 12:45 pm

So you’re excited that people will get raped and murdered (including children)? You’re excited that stores will run out of stock because people would be stealing from it? You’re excited that they might go bankrupt? You’re excited, that houses will most likely get burned down, people will be left homeless, and families will lose their loved ones due to murder? Please think about what you’re saying before you say it, this is NOT something to be excited about. Obviously I don’t actually believe it’s going to happen, it’s most likely a 4chan fad, but even so, your comment sickens me in so many ways.

• Nico   August 15, 2014 at 3:25 pm

The fact you people think about this seriously period is ridiculous. Just stay home and let the police do their job. All you have to do, yes it’s pathetic that people have to mess up everyone’s well being on this fine Friday, but get over it, it’s not a hard situation. Just watch some Netflix behind locked doors with your lights off, all you have to do. And maybe a loaded firearm for maximum protection. Is it too hard?

• James   August 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm

It was meant mostly as a joke. Calm down. This is just a stupid prank. The local police say there are no credible threats in louisville. That is all. Carry on.

56. jessica   August 15, 2014 at 4:05 am

Wow really something like this is being discussed and all you 2 can talk about is its gotta be “white people” come on and white people are supposed to be the racist ones!!!

• im white but im not ignorant   August 15, 2014 at 5:58 am

wow i cant believe white people

57. Andria   August 15, 2014 at 2:32 am

How many times did they say police are taking threats very seriously ?! WE GET IT
    But this is scary joke or not. It’s true you don’t know what kind of sicko’s are out there. If I lived where it’s happening if stay in and keep a weapon close. I hope they get caught.

58. Whitedove   August 15, 2014 at 1:27 am

NOT FUNNY AND GET THIS ABC NEWS FROM JACKSONVILLE FL SAID ONE IS PLANNED FOR THE 31ST OF AUG LORD HELP US WE HAVE GONE OFF THE DEEP END

59. anonymous   August 15, 2014 at 12:21 am

what is wrong with america?? holy crap……

60. Autumn   August 14, 2014 at 11:56 pm

I like how this was written.

61. Robert Banks   August 14, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Lemme guess…white people lol.

62. [email protected]   August 14, 2014 at 10:45 pm

This is a scary thought. Because with it going around all these other places eventually it will get everywhere!

63. Kimberly Ruble   August 14, 2014 at 10:35 pm

I live just north of Louisville and I am extremely worried about this weekend.

64. noobsta   August 14, 2014 at 10:12 pm

wolfgang your not from the 502 so stop acting its some meeting cause im from louisville and no one knows who it is

65. Wolfgang   August 14, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Y’all are over reacting. Its probably just a bulimic support group meeting lol

• Rufus   August 14, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Wow, way to make a joke out of a serious disease. That was a real knee-slapper.

It’s not overreacting at all. You never know what people are capable of, and this is scary. Even if it happens to be a joke (in very poor taste), you have to be cautions and be prepared just in case. If you weren’t prepared, and it was not a joke, people could be seriously injured or killed.

But maybe I shouldn’t expect you to understand something simple like that.

66. Mark Smith   August 14, 2014 at 9:22 pm

will it spread to new york

67. xenubarb   August 14, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Oh, that happened three days ago in Ferguson MO.

68. Kelly   August 14, 2014 at 6:55 pm

What the fuck is wrong with these people? Don’t they know you’re not supposed to take violent shit like Saw and The Purge seriously? They need help if they think this is okay.

This better be some dumb prank. Hopefully it’s just water balloons or some sort of silly bullshit. Humanity’s fucked up……

Usually I don’t bitch about violence in media, but some people stupid enough to do this shouldn’t watch these films. Just…the fuck?

My heart goes out to anyone in Kentucky right now.