The pop group One Direction continues their prominent reign four years into a grand career run. With three albums and a fourth on the way, a high grossing stadium tour currently in its North American leg and many other accomplishments, rumors of an inevitable stop point are always sure to follow them. Whispers of a possible split are nothing new, but on Sunday, August 17, the man who brought the boys together on the UK version of the X-Factor chimed in. Simon Cowell, who signed the young men to his Syco record label, says that he does not see the group making it past 2016.
Speaking to the Daily Star, Cowell, 54, expressed that although the quintet (Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles and Liam Payne) are still doing phenomenally well, all good things eventually come to an end.
“‘I think they will make at least two more albums together,” he stated, adding that they are in the midst of putting together album number four, the follow-up to 2013’s Midnight Memories.
”Bands don’t stay together forever,” he further explained.
Rumors of a potential One Direction split first started to make waves in early 2014. The What Makes You Beautiful crooners were all smiles at the BRIT Awards in February, but Payne, 20, surprised many when he shared that it had been the first time that all five of them had been together in over three months. However, he quickly relayed that it was nothing more than much needed “time off.”
“We’re not splitting up,” he said to The Sun. “We’re messaging each other all the time.” Styles also chimed in, saying that he had been around his band mates for so long he had almost forgotten what his own mother looked like.
“It’s just [for the] holidays,” he stated.
Admittedly, One Direction has been almost everywhere and anywhere over the past few months. The young men, as previously stated, are in the middle of their Where We Are stadium tour. Two performances from the tour will be put together for a DVD release later this year. Another performance excursion, aptly titled the On the Road Again tour, is set to begin in February of 2015. Throw in promotions for their newest perfume, You & I and they are one very busy music machine.
Perhaps this is why other rumors of a possible solo path by certain members might be out of the question for now. Last year a demo of a song called Don’t Let Me Go, sung alone by Harry Styles, made its way online. Almost like clockwork, One Direction fans wondered if it was the first inclination that some of the group wanted to attempt a solo path. In truth, all five members auditioned as solo singers for the X-Factor before they were put together by Cowell.
He admits that it may occur at some point in time, but not in the near future. “I don’t think that is going to happen for a while,” he explained, before continuing that in time he was “sure [that] they all will [try]” to have solo success.
The members of One Direction have not commented on Cowell’s claims, but that has not stopped their faithful fans, commonly known as “Directioners” from speaking their minds. Within hours of the story breaking, they began to trend “#1DToLiveOnForever” on Twitter. It looks like their fans are not ready for them to go anywhere anytime soon.
By Jonathan Brown