The Vampire Diaries to End After Season Six?

The Vampire Diaries

The Vampire Diaries fans will be disappointed to hear that the show may end after season six. There has been no confirmation from executive producer Julie Plec yet, but Ian Somerhalder, who plays Damon Salvatore, indicated that it may be the last on his Instagram. Of course, it could just be the last season for him.

In the hint, Somerhalder said that it could be the last he, Paul Wesley (Stefan Salvatore) and Nine Dobrev (Elena Gilbert) would be on screen together. He also said that there seems to be a finality to the show, and the cast and crew are getting ready to hear that they will be cancelled after this.

However, many suspect that the sixth season could be the last for The Vampire Diaries consider the journey it has taken over the years. Many fans agree that the first two seasons were the best and wish that it could go back to that.

The last couple of seasons has had a major focus on the love triangle between the two vampire brothers and Elena. While there was always that within the show, the focus was on other parts of the storyline. The first season had the focus on the vampires locked away and finding out about the town’s history. The second season was mainly about The Original Vampires.

It would make sense for The Vampire Diaries to end after season six. The contracts were set for six years, which allegedly some get-out clauses in case the writers decided it was time to kill off characters. However, every time characters have been killed off, writers have found a way to bring them back. Some fans have been annoyed with this as it just means there is no fear in death.

For example, Jeremy Gilbert, played by Steven R. McQueen, was brought back from the dead by Bonnie. Bonnie died at that point but became the anchor to keep her in the show. People have turned into vampires to save them and just recently Alaric Saltzman, played by Matt Davies, returned from the dead just before the “other side” was destroyed.

The fate of the show is still unknown. The CW channel, which airs the program in the United States, has not confirmed anything for next year. However, network bosses tend to leave it until towards the end of a season to confirm if it will get the green light for another season.

One good thing for the show runners is that a spin-off has already been created and has been received well. The Originals starts its second season at the beginning of October, following the story of The Original Vampires in New Orleans.

Fans of the show may be disappointed but know that endings have to come eventually. The storyline for the main characters seem to be coming to an end anyway and there is no point dragging them on. With contracts coming to an end, this is certainly the time to think about ending the series as some actors may want to move onto something new. Somerhalder certainly seems to want The Vampire Diaries to end after its sixth season.

Opinion by Alexandria Ingham

Source:

Digital Spy

39 Responses to "The Vampire Diaries to End After Season Six?"

1. Shane   January 2, 2016 at 5:30 pm

The vampire diaries are dragging on a bit now who cares who Elena ends up with they should focus on the other characters who have been in there for years in stead of Elena

2. Elizabeth   November 24, 2015 at 1:03 am

Damon and Elana have been through to much bring her back and let them finally be happy they deserve this.

3. Spike b   October 6, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Give it eight seasons. Have elana get married. Let Jeremy and bonnie stay together. Even Caroline and Stefan get married

4. serenity   May 10, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I do not want the show to end with season 6th, I am a big fan of the show! I think you should do one more season or even two more to at least have some sort of closure instead of just ending it.

5. Ayana   April 10, 2015 at 8:00 pm

I think Caroline should also be with Klaus, and the vampire diaries should continue without her and they should talk more about Sarah Salvatore.

6. Nina Davis   April 9, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Vampire diaries is by far the best show I’ve ever seen and I don’t what it to end

7. Terry   March 25, 2015 at 10:24 pm

I watch it and I hope it will be just as good as it was when it first aired. But that is yet to happen. First Elena is with Stefan then she is with Damon. Caroline is with Damon then Stefan. Elena and Caroline both dated Matt. It is like watching Days of Our Lives vampire style. I liked it when Caroline was with Klaus they should let her go off an be on the Originals.

8. Terry   March 25, 2015 at 9:53 pm

I have been watching since it started and story is getting old, They keep having them go off the rail when some dies. The show losing my interest

9. erica   March 24, 2015 at 7:04 pm

I think the show should go on, idk what I will do when it ends.. It is the best show I have seen so far, I’m not ready for it to end!!:/

10. georgia   March 16, 2015 at 7:03 am

WHAT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO OMG 🙁 *cries frantically*

11. Julia Aguirre   February 28, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Please*

12. Julia Aguirre   February 28, 2015 at 5:09 pm

I love the show don’t end it now finish it what’s going to happen after what just happen Elena is extremely heart broken and so may be Stefan. Finish it don’t end now pleade (:

13. Zoe   February 23, 2015 at 12:39 am

I certainly think that the past few seasons have been better than the first ones. “Damon” and “Elena”‘s love for each other just cannot end. I am completley caught up with the show, and it seems they haven’t got much farther in their relationship due to the complications. I personally think that if “Vampire Diaries” comes to an end after Season 6, then a seperate show with Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev, playing as Damon and Elena should happen. I am sure there is plenty more girls wanting to see more of Damon and Elena!!!

14. Cheyenne   January 29, 2015 at 11:21 am

If this show ends my friends and I will be extremely upset. Thats 12 people in counting that I know will not want this to end and without the 3 main characters being together.

15. Atheana Legarreta   January 27, 2015 at 8:20 pm

That’s really upsetting that you plan to end the series at only the sixth season because as soon as I watched the first episode, it immediately caught my attention and these actors have all made this show it’s best and I think they were the perfect choices! So I’m all about Damon and Elena! But it makes me feel bad for Stefen, it’s impressive how much of a hold this difficulty has carried throughout the seasons! I hope you guys at least get to season nine or ten. I’m thinking I like the last seasons because Elena is finally a vampire and with Damon and which my mom and I have been counting through all the seasons! I appreciate the cast’s and crew’s hard work for making it such a great series!

16. Casey Erin   January 12, 2015 at 1:30 am

i loove elena and damon together i mean look at them, they’re hot together! They give more of a surprise to the audience than her and stefan. Also if they managed to drag along seasons, they sure can drag it along for a few more. they always seem to bring new characters and new problems into the story and its good that way so they can keep on showing more seasons. This show is a hit and it would be tragic to end it so shortly, Pleaseeee don’t end it so soon ! come on! The story line is perfect and they can keep it going to please the fans <3

17. iris   January 5, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Please pleaseeeee im begging you,Elena and Damon need to be together,she belongs with damon,its Damon who can resist such a beaty? And he really loves her.it would be a huge dissapointment if she ended up with stephen.Everybody wants her with damon so make us happy and then you can end the show

18. lucia.c   December 29, 2014 at 8:24 pm

For s6 I want stleana back !!!!!!! Ya

19. lucia.c   December 29, 2014 at 8:20 pm

I love love love lovee the vampire diaries and I’m really worried about the show ending after season 6 . but i hope that they make another season cause the show is so good

20. lexgo   December 24, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I always have and always will love the vampire diaries but all good things must come to an end. I love the show don’t get me wrong, I would go in my room and watch it for 5 hours straight every day, but I do not want it to turn into a show that just drags on and on and leave the viewers bored. im not saying its a good idea for them to end at season 6 either, just that I think they should know their limits and where to stop.

21. Krystin Giegerich   December 13, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I have always and will love vampire dairies. Since the trailers and every season. I dont thinkg because of outer things upset it. Its an amazing show and the plot line is always filled with twists and I dont want it to end yet! Theres still so much left. If you love your fans keep the show running please!!

22. Stacy   December 13, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I vote on Elena staying with Damon. Caroline makes more sense with Stefan,

23. Stacy   December 13, 2014 at 11:57 am

I love The Vampire diaries. I feel the storyline is getting a little crazy and drawn out. I think its time for it to come to a end before it ends up like one of those shows that people stop watching.,

24. Kayla   December 12, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Make a season 7 plz

25. kai   November 30, 2014 at 3:32 pm

please make a season 7 dont leave us hanging just like that!

26. sulema   November 28, 2014 at 9:02 pm

I just finished all the seasons today and it really was the best, better than twilight. This is the show that actually made me cry and get into my emotions. I love it, if anything, I wish it was the only tv series so it could go on forever. Besides the originals. There has to be a season 7 . Omg Klaus needs to come back he is just beyond amazing. So Joseph Morgan (Klaus) can be with Caroline lol, please Oh pretty please make a season 7

27. alyssa young   November 15, 2014 at 10:39 am

I love the vampire diaries please have more seasons!! PLEASE!!!

28. amanda   November 14, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I love vampire diaries

29. Elle   November 10, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I love The Vampire Diaries! Please don’t let this be the last season!

30. Dylaina   November 8, 2014 at 1:05 am

This is my favorite show plz at least got to season 7

31. klj   November 7, 2014 at 2:58 pm

i want klaus back, but if not then caroline and enzo for lyfe

32. klj   November 7, 2014 at 2:57 pm

i hate stefs die stef die plz

33. Idrial   November 6, 2014 at 2:41 pm

I would like to see Elena have her happy ending because as the main character in the story she and all the characters have been through so much together, we have seen them grow as people. I would love to see the show end with Elena finding a happy ever after. Caroline and Stefan getting together and being just beyond happy Damon and Elena finding a way back to each other as well as Jeremy and Bonnie doing the same for Matt I would like to see him meet the love of his life have children and be really happy maybe in season seven they could end it with Matt telling this story to his grandchildren who would be about his age when everything kicked off in Mystic falls with the vampires and then after they’ve heard him Matt’s grand children could be somewhat disbelieving as his vampire friends give him one last promise to keep his family safe. If tvd ends in season six I’ll be angry if it doesn’t end with a epic happy twist, I really love this show and I’ll be really gutted to see It go.

34. jess   October 28, 2014 at 6:51 pm

please keep making more seasons. if stelena got back together that would be amazing, i do love elena and damon aslo… please dont stop at season 6, at least go to season 8. i love the vampire diaries every season has been amazing so far. apart from when damon and elena got together but im getting over that. Caroline will be good for stefan tho:) please make more!!!!

• aubfran   November 6, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Totally agree! I’ll be sad to see the end! it’s by far my favorite show and I love elena and damon. I hope they will at least go to season 7!

35. DILA   October 26, 2014 at 1:55 pm

we cant live without DAMONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

36. Andie   September 22, 2014 at 11:32 am

I hope it ends after Season 6. That is plenty of time for a series to air. Any longer, and it becomes tedious. My only hope is that if it does end, Caroline’s storyline is left open-ended so that she could potentially move over to The Originals. She is my favorite character and the only one I would really miss at this point.

37. EC   September 20, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Seems very possible. They seem to have set up for a final season most likely with Delena as endgame and Stefan moving on with Caroline. They’re running out of ideas for a good story line and going back to the triangle yet again seems pointless. I love the show but the coming season does seem to have some finality to it and they could end on a good note.

38. Karina   August 29, 2014 at 1:59 am

It would be better if season 7 would be the last season because many fans want stelena back, they would be together forever! And stefan and elena had no problems onley with damon, please we want stelena back . What about all there love, just like the writer said:he said, DON’T WURRY STELENA FANS! STELENA WILL BE ANYWAY ENDGAME! But there not yet. Please bring them back