Joan Rivers’ Family Considers Lawsuit Against Medical Team

Joan Rivers

Joan Rivers’ family is considering a lawsuit against the medical team at the clinic where she underwent her surgery. The family claims that the surgery was botched, which has caused the serious ongoing medical problems since. The comedian is currently in a medically induced coma and reportedly on life support to live.

Doctors reportedly worry that the 81-year-old will be left needing wheelchair or full-time assistance due to a possible stroke during the medical procedure. She was undergoing vocal cord surgery at a private New York clinic when she stopped breathing and went into cardiac arrest. She was quickly rushed to hospital, where she was placed on life support as her condition seemed to deteriorate.

However, her only child, Melissa Rivers, has spoken out about the change in prognosis. There is hope that she can be brought out of the medically induced coma to see all the damage that has occurred. She has not yet ruled out legal action against the private clinic, but is more concerned for her mother’s health.

Many of the statements from the 46-year-old have been positive and uplifting. However, she is the complete opposite when in private. She reportedly does not know what to do now and is worried for her mother’s life. Many report that she is in denial about the severity of the comedian’s condition and she may be bringing her out of the coma too soon.

Many friends have been concerned and shocked by the sudden deterioration. It may be partly the reason for Rivers’ family to consider a lawsuit against the medical team that botched the original surgery. However, there are risks with all surgeries, and the medical team has not spoken out about the events as of yet. It is something the clinic is likely leaving its lawyers to deal with right now.

The waking-up process will take some time, according to medical staff at the hospital. It can take until Tuesday to find out whether Rivers will be able to walk and talk. There are fears that the time in cardiac arrest has damaged parts of the brain that control the walking, talking and other movements. If these parts of the brain are damaged, it could mean that the 81-year-old is left needing around the clock care. A source claims that the comedian could be left as a “vegetable” for the rest of her life.

The procedure was supposed to be a routine one. This has led to the shock that something so serious could happen. It is possible that there were complications, but it could have also been the celebrity’s aging body. The risks to the surgery are currently unknown. A source claims that the procedure, while routine, was a serious one and should not have been done as an outpatient procedure on an 81-year-old.

Right now the family is keeping fingers crossed in the hope that she will make a full recovery. She will be taken out of the medically induced coma slowly. After that, the Rivers family may file a lawsuit against the medical team responsible at the private New York clinic.

By Alexandria Ingham

New York Daily News

The Daily Mail

L.A. Times

26 Responses to "Joan Rivers’ Family Considers Lawsuit Against Medical Team"

1. David Deel   October 5, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I am so sick of people suing doctors over procedures that simply went wrong. If this doctor did anything wrong it was to take the operation on in the first place. FOr Melissa Rivers, I only see her as wanting to make money from her mothers death. How much do you want to bet that Melissa Rivers complains how much doctors, medicines and surgical procedures cost? When she does, shecan look in the mirror and smile really big knowing it is people like her that cause a lot of the spiraling costs in the field of medicine. She is taking the loss of her mother andreducing it to money. I only can really hope that when Melissa Rivers needs a surgical procedure of ANY kind, doctors will realize she will sue them if her body reacts adversley.

2. lakewood steve   September 10, 2014 at 7:14 am

Lookup Iatrogenic death and it’s a wonder Joan lasted so long !
    FDR’s Marxist inspired, “New Deal” medicine has killed millions.
    I am Sure Obama’s / Marxist Obama-“Care” will top that number.
    Judeo Christian law built the nation. Godless Marxism has destroyed it.
    Live with it suckers. See you in hell. Love. Lakewood steve

3. Di   September 5, 2014 at 4:02 am

My heart goes out to her daughter, Melissa and grandson, Copper you are both in my thoughts and prayers during this most difficult time of your life! I can relate because this is the exact same way I lost my mom 5 years ago and my son Jacob and I had a relationship just like Melissa and Copper had and when you lose your Mom to something that didn’t have to be you ask why and want answers that you never get! You want to go back to the day before the surgery and tell them not to have it! You really just never get over it! So you are both in my thoughts and prayers! AMEN and GOD BLESS YOU BOTH!!!

4. Mary Fowler   September 2, 2014 at 7:24 pm

My prayers are for her recovery, and I hope she recovers? She is funny and is one of very few people who can make me laugh! But, if her family feels that they sue whomever they feel created this current situation related to an 81 year woman is sad. They were blessed with talent, money, celebrity status, but because of this health crisis, wants to destroy the career of those who were helping her. Don’t they have enough money?

5. oscar soriano arze   September 1, 2014 at 10:47 pm

She is only 81. And brave. She will recover. We are all praying for her. We need her! God bless Joan! I am expecting to see her TV program as son as posible.

6. Gina   September 1, 2014 at 10:14 pm

My thoughts and prayers are w Joan Rivers and her family. She is a beautiful person who has endured a lot of heartache in her life and was able to rise above it …she brings laughter to millions and Im hoping she makes a complete recovery.

7. Paulette Foldenauer   September 1, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I think, that using the term vegetable, in regards to Joan Rivers, is incredibly cruel, for her, as well as for her family.

8. dorothy warner   September 1, 2014 at 8:23 pm

If that is the care someone with Joan River’s checkbook gets, what would they do to us? Be nice with your comments people. Stop blaming the victim. This has nothing to do with plastic surgery or anyone’s attempt not to show their age. Don’t show your ignorance.

9. Mary Smith   September 1, 2014 at 8:12 pm

To the person who said a cardiac arrest would have happened even at an inpatient hosp, you forgot to mention that AT LEAST an inpatient hosp would have had a CRASH CART, which would have enabled them to get her heart restarted within the brain’s deadline for oxygen/starvation damage time.

10. David Cole and Steve Cox   September 1, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Please everyone, our only concern right now is to hope and pray for joan and her family. Let’s get over that hurdle and pray joan regains all her functions and comes out of this with a good joke.
    Please, don’t think of anything negative at this time.
    With all our love,
    Dave and Steve

11. jules   September 1, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Father I pray that u touch Joan for she needs Ur help and Melissa needs u to give her strength. Everything happens for a reason and it could be that this Clinic has been getting away with things for years

12. seriouslypeople   September 1, 2014 at 7:07 pm

“The procedure was supposed to be a routine one. This has led to the shock that something so serious could happen”. Alexandria Ingham, you are a complete dullard! This is not reporting, it’s an opinion piece. Anytime you are put under, it carries a risk… nothing is “routine”, when they put you under. Good lord, where did you learn to write….. please go ask for your tuition back.

13. villandra24   September 1, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Um, we’d have to have as much as a detail or two about just what happened to Ms. Rivers, and her children would have to give enough of a bleep to deign to disclose that in court. Since they are clearly ox-brained determined to do neither, I’m not going to even give it another thought. Those drugs are dangerous, and Lord knows why emergency medical equipment wasn’t on hand, but I’m not about to care more than everyone else does.

14. mary   September 1, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I seriously think the doctors have a very good idea already..I am sure she has had brain scans etc.
    There is always the hope though that what appears to be, isn’t so..OR as bad as they think it will be.
    I do hate that they keep using the term vegetable when they bring up the worst case scenario.. That is a ugly term and there are many many better medical terms for that kind of outcome.
    So sorry for her daughter and family.. Her friends..

15. Jenny Diesel   September 1, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I am very saddened to think this icon in such a state. She is such a strong lady she seems but has no patience lollll. Please dear GOD lay your hands on her an make her well. Melissa I sure understand your feelings an what your going through GOD bless you I’ve been there with my dad an uncle

16. NEURO   September 1, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Laryngoscopy is an endoscopic procedure that only a board certified ENT Otolaryngologist is qualified. NY State´s plenary license rule allows any licensed doctor to practice any medicine and surgery upon licensure. The roster of physicians on the Yorkville Endoscopy website consists only of gastroenterologists. If one of them did laryngoscopy, there should be sanctions and the family will prevail in a lawsuit. If an ENT physician magically appeared at the suite and did the procedure and performed laryngoscopy, outcome would have been the same inpatient or outpatient unless there was a major deviation with the anesthesiologist or CRNA.

17. Trinidad   September 1, 2014 at 2:37 pm

May she rest and God give her daughter the comfort and strenght that she needs at this very difficult time I am very sad that she is in this state more upset to know that she was having another procedure done on herself if only she would’ve been happy, content and satisfied with her looks now look at the result while I am sorry if my comment is being taken as harsh or rude but in my opinion she never should ‘ve been having anymore surgery period!!!!!!

18. Newsonofliberty   September 1, 2014 at 1:17 pm

As a physician I think the procedure should have been done at a hospital. But then Rivers and her family knew that and consented to the outpatient facility. It was a poor choice on everyone’s part, including Rivers herself. Most likely, it was an insurance issue, with the insurance company unwilling yo cover it in the hosp. Then again, Rivers would have had the financial means to pay for hospital utilization so probably chose not to do so. I have to laugh at the idiots, including the Rivers family, who automatically claim the doctors “botched” the job. Cardiac arrest could have occurred just as easily in a hospital setting with a top-notch surgical team in place. The real idiots are the doctors who should have realized that if that fragile 81 year old crashed, they would be blamed, and the Rivers family themselves for consenting to outpatient general anesthesia on such an elderly family member. Caveat emptor.

19. Vinnie   September 1, 2014 at 12:44 pm

This should have been done in a hospital because here I am 52 and had throat surgery done with many doctors on hand just in case so NO WAY should a 81 year old should’ve had such a procedure done in a clinic…. Really.. Smh” Hope she recovers fully

20. mary   September 1, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I’ve seen her on QVC sometimes looking very fragile..Her voice shaky and she seemed unsteady.. She had such a busy schedule, and always worse on the home shopping networks.. They are so erratic about show times..And there were times you could see her age, and I could see that she was ready to just crash.. I thought , wow..This woman needs to let the show host do her job, and stay in bed and rest.

21. Nicolas   September 1, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Medical errors kill upwards of 400,000 Americans a year. Hospitals are bacterial hell-holes best avoided.

22. linda   September 1, 2014 at 9:31 am

So sorry to hear about Joan Rivers. I hope she recovers.

23. S Nos   September 1, 2014 at 9:27 am

It kind of sounds like karma. The evening before this event, she is on stage making light of life and death, and, as always, flapping her lips, insulting other people. Well, her vocal cords may now have finally taken their final bow. Not to be mean, but, poetic justice?

24. teto wais   September 1, 2014 at 9:23 am

Joan should have had the surgery in the hospital. The doctors are just too money hungry and always in a hurry, treat the patients like cattle. I think they should sue all of them for what they did. Poor Joan, so vibrant and so alive just a day before. I wonder if she had high blood pressure and taking any medication for it. The doctor’s should have known if she did, therefore do the the surgery at the hospital.

25. Lee   September 1, 2014 at 7:52 am

This procedure should never have been done in a facility that is not staffed or equipped for an emergency. I am so against this type of thing, and I hope the family can sue to bring attention to this practice, even if Joan signed off on it.

26. Linda   September 1, 2014 at 5:54 am

Because of her age, it probably should have been done in the hospital. She doesn’t look 81 on the outside, but her insides are elderly.