The Lottery: Season One Finale Airing to a Disinterested Audience

The Lottery Season One Finale Airing to a Disinterested Audience

With the season one finale of The Lottery airing tonight to a disinterested audience, two things are clear. Firstly, there will most likely never be a season two and secondly if there was, for some reason, no one would care. The show has worked very hard to come up with a thriller that should have been a winner. Sadly, it seems that the viewing audience just do not have any interest in a near future where infertility and governmental dirty tricks walk hand in hand.

Whether the problem is that Marley Shelton is not a big enough “name” to attach to the show or if the plot is just too far outside the realm of most people’s reality is not known. Certainly the actress is talented enough to carry the series although she has not had nearly enough screen time to say that she truly headlines the show. It could also be that except for Shelton and the lesser known Michael Graziadei most of the cast are better known north of the border in Canada than in the U.S.

The plot is not too farfetched if one can get away from the world wide fertility problem. The premise that the government was working on a population control weapon developed by a scientist who was trying to keep a lid on research meant to limit the amount of people being introduced into an overcrowded world is not too “out there.” The idea that this government weapon got out of control resulting in no one being able to reproduce naturally or otherwise also does not take too much imagination to follow.

However, now that the season one finale of The Lottery will be airing to a disinterested audience tonight on Lifetime at 10 p.m. PST, it appears that the entire premise of the show is beyond most of the potential viewers imaginations. Perhaps a world that is getting ever more crowded daily, even hourly, has trouble swallowing the idea that one day all women will be so desperate to have children that they would join a government run lottery to carry a stranger’s child.

Never mind that there are women in this reality that are desperate to have children, poor potential mothers who go through the humiliation of being tested and retested for fertility. Not to mention resorting to help from the medical community to increase their chances of getting in a family way. Of course there are more women who can get pregnant than not but what about the idea that the government would, or could, step in and doom the entire world’s population to extinction because they can?

People in this day and age live in a world where governmental control increases every single day. Drones that spy on the public, phone taps in the name of national security, police being given bigger and better weapons in order to better control the local populace under their jurisdiction and a push to get stiffer gun laws in place all signal a disturbing trend. As pointed out before in the Guardian Liberty Voice, perhaps the plot of this show, ignoring the baby lottery bit, is too realistic with its devious and controlling government.

The season one finale of The Lottery airs tonight to a disinterested public audience. This means that in all likelihood that the end of one of the scariest shows on television will never be told. The small amount of fans will never learn if Kyle will get son Elvis back and whether or not Dr. Alison Lennon will survive her battle for the truth. This is a shame, as at least one fan wanted to see what was going to happen next, and the surprise that the “big bad” Darius Hayes actually loves his daughter enough to murder his cohort in crime to ensure her safety left things wide open for his character arc. Oh well, there is always reality TV for those with lesser imagination which networks would rather produce anyway.

By Michael Smith

IMDb

mylifetime.com

Guardian Liberty Voice

12 Responses to "The Lottery: Season One Finale Airing to a Disinterested Audience"

1. Amy   November 10, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Love it also. Watched every one. Last series I ever watched prison break

2. Jen   October 17, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Just found out it’s canceled for season 2. I’m upset about it. It was one of my favorite shows…of all time. I think they just went worn the wrong network.

• Michael Smith   October 17, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I agree, what a shame as I considered this one of the best shows on television. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!

3. Kimberley   September 30, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I really hope that this show comes back for another season. It was very interesting and different that it kept my attention enough that if I couldn’t be home to watch I had it recorded. I can’t remember the last time that I was excited about getting in front of a television to watch a show and now the one that I was mentally involved with is being threatened with not coming back on again. Uggghh. I actually ran across this article because I was searching for an expectancy date for the return of The Lottery. Keeping my fingers crossed.

4. Brent   September 30, 2014 at 11:15 am

My wife and I enjoyed the show and the plot. It was different than most other shows. What’s more I could see some government doing something lie this.

5. Krista   September 30, 2014 at 10:56 am

I really enjoyed this show. So tired of all the cop and reality shows so it was nice to have a show with a new and interesting plot. I am very disappointed that there may not be a second season. Seems like every new show I like gets canceled. Makes one question whether or not to watch new shows.

6. Leave Comments   September 29, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I guess you did not watch the finale, since Kyle did get his son Elvis back, and the Dr lady was able to use Kyle’s sperm to fertilize and egg she took with her and they drove off in the sunset. This show should of been a 4 part mini series. It was boring and strange and repetitive like crazy each episode. Did we care about anyone other then the Dr and Kyle and Elvis. Nope. I did think the two actors who played the Dr Lady and Kyle were good. I liked them.

7. Dimitri Jeet   September 29, 2014 at 4:16 pm

This show is so different from anything I have seen. I was skeptical in the beginning, a show about fertility, where I watch such series as The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Under The Dome and The Last Ship BUT I kept watching and by the 3rd episode the series had me hooked. Very intelligent and creative plot and I think there is so much to offer for a season 2 or 3. Amazes me that people did not respond to this TV show.

8. Kimberly Ruble   September 28, 2014 at 10:41 pm

I thought the show was excellent from the beginning. I really hate to see it go because it was actually something INTELLIGENT to watch. That probably helped bring about its early demise, Oh… always enjoy your recaps Michael!! Keep up the excellent work.

• Michael Smith   September 28, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Aside from being a huge Marley Shelton fan, I thought the show had so much going for it, may I’ll be wrong and Lifetime will bring it back for a second season. Thanks for the lovely words of praise Kimberly! Cheers!

9. Kenzie   September 28, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I wasn’t too interested in the show at first but decided to keep watching it snd I’m now hooked and disappointed more people didn’t like the show as I did. If it gets cancelled I’ll be greatly disappointed as it was a good show that isn’t too far fetched if you think about it. It seems every show I watch gets cancelled these days …

• Michael Smith   September 28, 2014 at 9:13 pm

So we can blame this one on you Kenzie? Seriously, I have never understood why this one has not taken off. Thanks for sharing and letting us know that the show has at least one other fan. Cheers.