BoJack Horseman What to Expect in Season 2

BoJack Horseman What to Expect in Season 2

The Netflix Original, BoJack Horseman premiered on Netflix in its entirety (12 episodes) August 22, 2014. The twisted dark-humor starring Will Arnet, Aaron Paul, and Alison Brie layers animal jokes with wordplay and a deeper sense of personal discovery. Since then, the show has been renewed for a second season that will begin production in 2015, but what is to be expected from season 2? Note, this article does discuss the events that took place in season one of BoJack Horseman and will have some spoilers.

The season ends on a hopeful note for Princess Carolyn, who plans the enjoy the fun side of life with Vincent Adultman, professional businessman. This situation seems to be building up with no end in sight, especially because Vincent has won over everyone and even grown on BoJack a bit. Will he reveal what is under that trench coat in season 2? Probably not, his character’s secret is so strong that exposing it could end the character itself.

The biggest mystery remains in Maine. Revealed in the flashback episode, The Telescope, the audience is shown how things really got started for BoJack Horseman. Most of his time was spent with fellow comedian turned best friend, Herb Kazzaz and his girlfriend, Charlotte. It is revealed that BoJack was in love with Charlotte, which is fitting due to how natural he acts around her. In the twisted second-to-last episode, Downer Ending, BoJack envisions the peaceful life he could have had in Maine. The experience is a powerful one that really leaves the audience curious about Charlotte and when exactly BoJack will reunite with her, if ever.

Is season 2 the end of Diane Nguyen (Alison Brie)? Absolutely not. Diane’s refusal to examine herself deep down has yet to manifest. Plus, now that she is married the issue really needs exploring. At the end of the season she agrees to offer assistance on the movie adaptation of her book Secretariat, the same role BoJack has been dreaming of playing his whole life.

Season two will most certain feature more Pinky Penguin (Patton Oswalt) as it seems the BoJack biography will save the company and his job. Aside from that, Patton Oswalt will likely continue his role of voicing multiple small characters seen throughout the show. Character actress Margo Martindale is still in jail with the Orange is the New Black crew, such is a story that could turn into something hilarious if continued.

By the end of season one the friendship between BoJack and Todd has become uncomfortable and unstable. This is due to Todd discovering the lengths BoJack went through to keep him from moving out. Todd is busy working with Mr. Peanut Butter but he still at least talks with BoJack. Todd is forgiving and seems to still at least enjoy being BoJack’s friend on some level. Also, seeing as Aaron Paul is on of the executive producers it would be very surprising to see Todd leave the show, especially since he is the comic relief character.

BoJack Horseman got mixed reviews from most critics however, many fans seem to adore it. The critic side of Metacrtic gave BoJack Horseman a 60 out of 100 (based on 13 reviews) while the user side gave it an 8.5 out of 10 (based on 155 ratings). For now, fans will have to sit and wait BoJack’s return in season 2.

By Garrett Jutte
Sources
Indie Wire
Buzzfeed
Animation Magazine
Metacritic
BoJack Horseman

14 Responses to "BoJack Horseman What to Expect in Season 2"

1. Jesse   February 28, 2015 at 1:30 pm

This show is awesome. Its the first cartoon ive ever seen that is able to maintain a consistant storyline. I love how it balances whimsical and dark humor and the depth of individual characters is something not even usually expected in live action sitcoms. I hope season 2 comes out soon, I cant wait.

2. Natalee   January 26, 2015 at 7:36 am

I can’t wait for season 2 I loved season 1 and I’m still watching it over and over! I hope they bring Charlotte into it more! Can not wait 🙂

3. brandy   December 30, 2014 at 6:18 am

I love this show! The first time i watched, I only liked it. Now, I have been watching it over and over for days! I can’t wait for season 2.

4. Sally   December 22, 2014 at 9:50 am

Bojack has been one of the best shows ever for me. It surprised me and got better and better with each episode, plus the amount of visual jokes and easter eggs makes rewatching episodes so entertaining. At first, it seems to be too dark of show, but then its dark humor and the characters keep the surrealism at bay. Plus, it reminds the viewer that life is bleak, and not to ignore that but understand it. How poignant was the scene of Secretariat at the bridge?

5. Hillary   December 19, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Peanutbutter Is All One Word (Don’t Write All One Word)

6. Adam   December 19, 2014 at 9:15 am

I think the problem is most critics probably just watched the first episode of the season. The ones who definitely watched more than that seemed to be the ones who gave it a better review. I can understand this, as the first episode–while amusing at times–doesn’t really indicate how the show will develop (both in theme and humor) as the series continues.

7. Jonas Nilaus Vilhelmsen   December 18, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I really don’t get the mixed reviews from critics. This show is great, can’t wait for the next season.

8. John Johnson   December 4, 2014 at 8:35 pm

“Season two will most certain feature more Pinky Penguin (Patton Oswalt) as it seems the BoJack biography will save the company and his job.”

I’m not sure I agree with this prediction– Pinky was a minor character and while the book will be big for him, it’s no longer super relevant for the major characters.

I just want more Wallace Shawn. You can’t have enough Wallace Shawn.

9. koko   November 12, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Me and my hubby watch this show every night before goin to bed. We enjoy Bojack,Diane,and Todd. We can’t wait for season 2 to come out. And fyi Mr. Peanut butter is stupidly funny as hell!

10. Connor   October 15, 2014 at 10:48 pm

The idea of Todd leaving the show is honestly absurd. A) You’re right, with Aaron Paul, why would they get rid of him? And B) he’s one of the main characters. He’s still BoJack’s roommate, and he may not last with Peanutbutter. He’ll be in it for the whole duration of the series.

11. Frieda   October 14, 2014 at 5:31 pm

I love the show. I’ve watched it about 2 times each episode. Will Arnett is great as Bojack. .

12. Der Hodginator   October 10, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I really hope it’s good. I loved Season One, but I’ve seen great ideas turn into stale repeats one too many times. I hope the writing cast comes up with some great new challenges for the characters as he turns a corner in his life, getting everything he (seemingly) ever wanted…

13. Connor   October 4, 2014 at 10:17 pm

“Todd Paul”
    That’s too good.

• Garrett Jutte   October 5, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Thank you for the correction.