Dish Network Drops Turner Broadcasting

Dish

A number of favorite Turner Broadcasting channels have recently disappeared from Dish Network after being dropped from the satellite television giant over a failed agreement on a new contract. The loss of channels affects 14 million Dish customers nationwide. The two companies negotiated for months, but the dispute over the new contract could not be resolved and seven Turner channels including Cartoon Network, CNN and Turner Classic Movies have been removed from the satellite television service.

Conflicts between providers and networks have been taking place for years. Programmer’s high fees and the network’s refusal to pay the ever-increasing fees often end in a network or multiple networks being removed until the demands from viewers or lost revenue from advertisers force the networks to agree to the providers’ demands.

The distributors are also facing new competition from online streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and other broadcast providers. Offering programing streamed over the internet at lower pricing have begun to sway viewers away from the high cost cable and satellite fees that customers consistently complain about.

While the dispute in the programing contract between Dish and Turner ended with channels being removed, Time Warner, the parent company to Turner, has been actively looking for ways to increase revenue. Time Warner needs to grow their earnings to cover the ever-increasing programming costs. One of the highest programing costs is sports, and Turner just signed a $11 billion agreement over the next nine years with the NBA. The fees for this new contract are double what they had typically been.

A cable analyst with consulting firm SNL Kagan, Derek Baine, noted on Tuesday that the Turner talks with Dish broke down a short time after executives at Time Warner promised Wall Street that the company would call for a double-digit affiliate fee increase to achieve growth. Blaine also said that Comcast, AT&T, DirecTV and Time Warner Cable are looking to merge, which would give them the upper hand when it comes to negotiations with the programmers and networks.

The negotiations that broke down between Dish and Turner had been going on for months. The contract, which was to expire in July, was extended a number of times because it appeared that the contract was going to be signed. Then on Monday, the talks stalled and the channels were removed from Dish’s programing line up.

The next battle for Dish is anticipated to be with CBS Corp. However, with the NFL in full swing and CBS’s broadcast rights of NFL games and SEC college football games, the leverage seems to fall in CBS’s favor. If negotiations break down like they did with Turner, the possibility of shows like NCIS, Criminal Minds and NFL games may cause Dish customers to go to other options like cable or satellite competitor, DirecTV.

There is hope that the negotiations will pick back up and the Turner Broadcasting line-up that was dropped by Dish Network will return to customers programing line-ups before long. Until then, Dish customers will do without CNN, Cartoon Network and the other beloved Turner Broadcasting channels.

By Carl Auer

Source:
Los Angeles Times
Western Journalism
PRNewser
Photo by Ken Teegardin – Flickr License

43 Responses to "Dish Network Drops Turner Broadcasting"

1. Jerry   November 18, 2014 at 9:01 am

I do miss headline news over the week-end, but not enough to jump ship YET!!!!!!

2. Ryan   November 12, 2014 at 3:47 am

Only got dish for cnn and the turner channel i will go with other cable company i had to miss cnn election nite i allway watch cnn election fox news suck direct tv may have same problem only cable has cnn dont it all about money why cant they just have a turner package for those channel ?

3. Roy Hollandsworth   November 5, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Get busy and solve this dispute. i want my CNN back ASAP or I’ll drop my subscription to Dish Network.

4. M. A. Cameron   October 30, 2014 at 9:58 pm

If you have access to Charter, they will pay the early termination fees that Dish demands.

5. ray footluver   October 30, 2014 at 9:19 pm

thanks to turner ive started looking to my computer to watch my favorites so I don’t care if they come back , im soon to stop paying high sat bill and wach all tv threw my computer much much cheaper and watch what I want when I want with little or no commercials

6. Mrs. D.   October 29, 2014 at 8:32 pm

It’s no secret that Turner Broadcasting is the one playing the game here. Afterall, they are a much, much larger company than Dish and are using their multi million dollar industry as a source of power and control over Dish. Turner is full of nothing but greed with a need to control others. Turner Broadcasting should be ashamed of theirselves and I can’t wait until the day they meet their match! Yes, I miss CNN, but as for Turner Broadcasting, they can fall off the face of the earth as far as I’m concerned.

7. Sarah   October 28, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Turner needs to remember how much they are losing from the 17 million dish subscribers not watching their programing and all the commercials that go with them. Only hurting themselves!!!!

8. zimmett   October 28, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Call Dish now to demand your shows back 1-800-233-SAVE http://savemyshows.com/shows-youre-missing/

9. Harry Grounds   October 28, 2014 at 7:32 pm

My contract is with Dish and I see no reason to change.

10. Shannon   October 28, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Everyone complaining about missing channels need to understand that Dish not just agreeing to huge price increases is better for subscribers. Dish isn’t going to foot the bill in the long run, subscribers are. Thank you Dish for standing up for us to keep our monthly prices down.

• Asher T   October 29, 2014 at 12:17 am

Shannon, How I truly wish I could agree with you that Dish’s actions could possibly keep costs down; I honestly do. But, if tactics like this really worked towards that end, right now we would all be overjoyed with our government leaders and politicians, and there would be no such thing as ‘The National Debt’.

• Chuckbone   October 30, 2014 at 5:45 pm

That makes no sense because Dish is in competition with Direct and various cable companies. Increased prices are an incentive to choose a competitor. You can choose among either or none, if you choose. You cannot choose another ‘government provider.’ Government has no incentive to reduce your price because you can’t take your business elsewhere.

• Asher T   October 31, 2014 at 2:03 am

Not quite, Chuckbone. Yes, Dish has competition, and they know that if they wish to remain your choice and in favor they must provide a level of service and performance which will keep subscribers happy. And while it is not operating in top form these days, that is precisely ‘in a nutshell’ what our founding forefathers had in mind when setting up a democratic governing body. We have choices; Democratic, Republican, Independent, etc. AND we have elections by vote. Yet an additional freedom of choice- you can vote as you wish, or not vote. At this time I would almost agree with you that ‘government has no incentive’, because we now let them get away with everything while doing nothing. In truth, their ‘incentive’ should be the same as 200+ years ago when it was laid out: ‘Perform and serve the people, and do so for the people, ’cause otherwise come next election you’re going to be out on the streets looking for work!’

• Robert   October 29, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Please, they just raised their rates, AGAIN, in California. Plus the customer service is crap. As soon as the contract is up, I’m canceling the service.

11. Clmclm   October 28, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I realized this afternoon there is absolutely nothing on TV worth watching now that DISH has removed all the Turner Network channels. CNN, HLN, and TCM were some of the best channels in the entire system. How hateful is DISH for not trying to negotiate a better arrangement for the 14 million subscribers who now have nothing to watch? I don’t care about sports channels. Fortunately, we are moving from this area in about six months and I can resubscribe to someone else. DISH sucks, plain and simple and we, the subscriber, are always caught in the loss column with overpriced, terrible channels and nothing to replace the garbage they make us pay for with no refund or replacement. DISH doesn’t care about their customer base, nor do any of the cable providers. ROKU and NETFLIX are coming for you and hopefully will soon provide better content. They’re already proven they can. Look at House of Cards and Orange in the New Black. Great programs, available anytime, and no commercial interruptions. Cable and DISH, eat some crow.

12. merlene   October 28, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Does DISH plan on a refund or a partial discount of our monthly fee now that we poor subscribers aren’t getting WHAT WE PAY FOR? We are seniors who don’t watch streaming anything, we just want to turn on the TV and go to a channel we like….

• DLC   October 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I called DISH and they gave me $5 off my monthly bill for 6 mons. WOW, not so much !! I would rather have the Channels than the discount but I guess something is better than nothing.

• David Randall   October 28, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I called as well, and as a 24yr. veteran subscriber stating (without hostility) that I was merely calling to formally register my disappointment and desire for a quick resolution, I was first pressed (almost ‘used car lot’ style) that what I really had been missing out on and should now leap to add onto my viewing fare was the Encore channel package, and soon I’d be saying “T-C-Who?”. My response was a firm, yet still polite “Yes, I’m familiar with the basic formatting of Encore, and while I’ve nothing against it, I am not in the least contemplating making any increases to my plan right now when I’m less than sure I’ll even still be here in a month. This gave rise to the compensation offer, except mine began at $5 off for the next 3 months. I suppose had I continued the debate it might have went to 6 months, but instead I couldn’t help but turn the offer down just on it’s irony alone, reminding them this wasn’t especially tempting to someone who’s looking for some signs of decisive effort towards working this out or will soon be looking for service elsewhere. If the next 3 months were free, and TCM was guaranteed to return in 90 days, yes, I’d stay, but I’d be watching TCM on a second, competitor’s service for the duration. The more I research this whole sad affair I get further convinced this isn’t ‘Turner Contract Manipulations’ but ‘Dangling In Satellite Hell’.

• Ardell from Pennsylvania   November 9, 2014 at 11:28 am

I am a 71 year old widow and really miss TCM. Never thought I would see the day when I would pay $98 to watch the trash they have on TV. TCM took me back in time, I loved watching all the great movies with wonderful actors that we will never see again. Very sad to see this channel go. Please bring it back.

13. LaWanda   October 28, 2014 at 10:19 am

I never watch Cnn or any of the turner channels. They’re the fools that counted their chickens before they hatched. They want the rest of us to pay for there bad business choices. Good riddance:)

14. DLC   October 28, 2014 at 10:10 am

We went thru the whole “Fox Sports HD” thing which was never resolved so I still cannot see my Fox Sports channels in HD. Ok so wah wah, but seems like every time I turn around now there is another dispute and one on the horizon. I just want to receive the channels (and HD) that I am PAYING for…don’t think that’s too much to ask for and if this thing is not ironed out soon, i am definitely going with DIRECTV !!!

• NinjaDogma   October 28, 2014 at 11:21 am

Once you make your switch to DirecTV you can expect them to be next on the extortion list. A little history lesson, these networks started up and thrived with a healthy revenue base from advertisers. Then around 2002 they decided to start charging access fees, which were previously reserved for subscription channels like HBO and were commercial free. So I don’t know who you and I can thank for that, but whichever provider agreed to pay an access fee in 2002 opened up the flood gates for the practice to expand and continue and we are now paying to watch commercials. Think about it.

Also, Dish didn’t remove the Turner channels, Turner pulled the plug to force Dish’s hand. Although I wish they wouldn’t, Dish will cave, and prices will go up again until we the consumers make a stand and say we’ve had enough.

15. Michael G   October 28, 2014 at 9:03 am

I’m with Dr. Goad, and an extra perk in my favor is unplugging my wife from the Nancy Grace show!

16. David Randall   October 28, 2014 at 8:54 am

I, too, have been a faithful DISH subscriber more than 20 years now, and since their 1st day of broadcast in April, 1994, I have RARELY viewed any channel beyond TCM. When balanced against my bill, it means I pay DISH just under $92 a month to watch one channel, and that was fine when it was my choice, but I am extremely disappointed so far by what I’ve seen in terms of DISH’s handling of this issue, looking more all the time like today’s politics; an old fashioned pi**ing match where the focus is on who can outblame and outlast the other, while the subscribers/viewers are forgotten unless they decide to try and sell us a viewing package ala ‘boxing match- DISH vs TURNER’, or we forget to pay our bill, which I’m sure they aren’t going forego. DISH’s ‘dishstandsforyou’ site that’s promoted as ‘to keep you informed’ because DISH cares about subscribers is a joke and nothing more than self-glorification/gratification. I get the feeling this will not end anytime soon with the attitudes displayed, so if they want to blow smoke up their own ‘hopper’, fine, but I’m looking at alternatives, as I don’t care to participate, let alone also have to pay for ‘the privelidge’.

17. robert circella   October 28, 2014 at 5:07 am

like so many viewers i also been with dish since day one.sorry to say im going over to direct to get the channels dish has droped.i guess it comes down to the almighty buck.

18. Angel   October 28, 2014 at 3:41 am

This is absolutely ridiculous..first they change HUB network to some science discovery bull and now Cartoon Network,CNN,and the other channels mentioned r just GONE when u people r rich???? We r payin u for wat?? How selfish! If these channels r not back soon we will probably be getting rid of DISH..apparently the customers don’t matter and customers WILL take their business elsewhere! I really thought I had found a dependable service. The high prices r not worth it if we can’t watch the channels we love.

19. Arturo Fuente   October 27, 2014 at 9:43 pm

good riddance turner. cartoon net is garbage. cnn turned into a progressive cheerleader and lost all credibility in journalism. you think you wont pay more if warner and att merge? prices inflate way faster for cable and directv. good luck with that!

20. Larry Kemper   October 27, 2014 at 9:24 pm

I Too have been a Dish Customer for nearly 20 years with constant increase in monthly fees and channels keep getting dropped. If you drop channels, drop the monthly fees. The Billionaires only look out for their pockets not the customers. I will be dropping Dish if Turner is not back on within a month or there is no compensation with lower monthly fees.

• mtdquest   October 28, 2014 at 7:05 am

If you call in the have a loyalty department to give credits. They wont automatically give anything

21. Delaine Mize   October 27, 2014 at 8:33 pm

If I don’t have TCM and CNN, you can have my Dish. I’ve been a customer for over 20 years also, but the egos are on both sides of the fence. Dish has grown due to access to Turner channels. I’ve gone through one weekend without. I’ll give them 30 days and I’m gone. I’ve rigged my TV to pick up TCM at a monthly charge, but will not continue with Dish if this is not resolved.

22. Pat Thompson Gosnell   October 27, 2014 at 8:25 pm

This senseless bickering between DISH and TURNER has a lot of people upset, me included…I want TCM back, and CNN and HLN…I don’t give a HOOT for sports, just the channels I mentioned…My little granddaughter misses Cartoon Network.. Why do y’all fuss over money all the time when all of you are billionaires !! For once, think of all your customers ! When you want a dollar, you start snatching our channels away !! If not settled SOON, it will cause people to go to Direct TV…. I like DISH, but this is just too much ! I’m missing my movies on TCM….Give us customers a break, let us have our channels back !!!!!

23. Stacey   October 27, 2014 at 8:15 pm

We pay for a certain package and have been very loyal customers for 20 years. Then when 4-6 channels get dropped we still pay for that same package at the same price! Where is our extra money that we THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE DISH THE COMPANY AND BILLIONAIRES THEY ARE at when these channels are dropped and they still get the money FROM US??? I want my REFUND!!

24. Dr.Goad   October 27, 2014 at 8:10 pm

I am glad to see all of Ted Turners and his wife Jane Fondas empire removed from Dish.They are traitors to the U.S.Jane Fonda Turner has Soldiers blood on their hands. Giving aid and comfort to our enemies during a time of war when thousands of flag draped coffins came back home every year for years. What type of man marries an American hater like this? Ted Turner and his CNN Communist News Network.

25. [email protected]   October 27, 2014 at 7:32 pm

say no no no to higher satellite bills

26. Nancy Combest   October 27, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Won’t miss anything Turner has to offer especially CNN. Tired of hearing editorials instead of news and having to pay for all their propaganda. Leah’s comments are so true…they can’t live without paying customers but we can certainly live without them!

27. Ethel K White   October 27, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I think that greed is nonsense when comes to TV. It is not the consumer’s fault when failure on these 2 entities decide to have conflict of the agreements. It used to be a pleasure to watch TV, but now, having to pay is nonsense. I hope this matter gets resolved soon. Ethel

28. Jimbo   October 27, 2014 at 11:31 am

I put this on Turner more than anything I had direct tv before dish and the same nonsense happened. These companies are allowed to do anything they want and we just have to suck it up and pay.. If Turner merges with all those companies were all going to be screwed. Aren’t there laws against monopolies in this country??

29. Wayne L Nichols   October 27, 2014 at 11:14 am

I want my CNN and HLN

30. Judy Johnson   October 27, 2014 at 10:44 am

Since we just signed upwith Dish, will be still be held to a 2 year contract since we won’t be able to get the channels which influenced our choice?

31. Sharon Thompson   October 27, 2014 at 7:18 am

Both of them should put there big boy pants on and get it together and figure it out!! Iam about ready to drop Dish altogether , sick of being held hostage by these company’s , you pay your bill and then they start taking channels away with out a reduction in the bill how is that fair to the viewer??

32. leah ving   October 27, 2014 at 1:57 am

Dump them All! Corruption has become typical. They can’t live without paying customers, but we CAN live without them!

33. Elizabeth Oakes   October 26, 2014 at 9:36 pm

CNN continues to be available on Comcast cable.

The “financial misunderstanding” that now blocks DISH and DIRECT TV from providing CNN to subscribing viewers is generated by Turner Broadcasting’s corporate greed.

Immediate news transference is critical to American and international health and safety.

I can get CNN on Internet while a corporate-greed-free public news source prepares to provide factual, propaganda-free information to the world.

Greed’s destructive from the inside out.

34. Susan Scott   October 26, 2014 at 8:27 pm

So does this mean that my Dish bill will be reduced now that several of my family’s favorite channels have been dropped? I doubt it! I’m sorry to be in a contract with Dish!