Mexico Missing Students Protest Still Raging

Mexico

On what was suppose to be a day celebrating freedom, protesters engulfed the streets of Mexico on Nov. 20, over the corruption of the government, as their suspected involvement in the case of the 43 missing students is still causing an outrage in the area, and globally. Violence consumes the capital of Mexico but is not expected to stop anytime soon. According to new eyewitness statements the 43 missing are now believed to be dead, ordered by none other than the Mexican government.

On Thursday, teachers, parents, students, and even entire families gathered by the thousands stormed the capital. Many protesters were from Guerrero state, and others were just angry citizens, gathered together to let the government of Mexico know that their actions have caused an uprising, in which all of the protesters expect justice to be served. The atrocities that have taken place in Mexico recently are not believable, but the 43 students that were taken away, now suspected to be lead by Mexican police on orders from the president, is the most corrupt event yet. When speaking of the protests currently going on in Mexico, one social activist said, “Mexico is ready to explode.”

The recent increase in protesters on the streets of Mexico could be at the turn of events in which President Enrique Pena Nieto promised the public that he would get to the bottom of the event, though he then shifted the focus toward other priorities. Afterward Mayor Jose Luis Abarca of Iguala, of the town where the 43 were abducted, though now former mayor was arrested, along with his wife, for believed connections to the massacre of the 43 students. According to sources after the students went missing the mayor fled from his home. The woman who helped him hide out was also taken into custody. Though these are not the first arrests, as more than 50 people have been arrested in the alleged involvement with the students’ abductions, the slew of arrests are all but pointing to the government.

Information of the government’s alleged involvement, according to eyewitness testimony, comes at a time when the government of Mexico has been suspected to be involved in the killings of many Mexican citizens, including recent arrests for killing citizens believed to be in drug gangs, with no probably cause. The case against the government for, what is now believed to be a mass execution, of the 43 taken in September, is strong. After collecting the evidence that led authorities to believe that the missing 43 had been taken away by police, at the orders of the mayor, they were led to what was believed to be their grave site, though it will be hard to collect solid evidence that the bodies are the students, as they were badly burned. According to sources, however, one student escaped and is willing to cooperate, regardless of his fear that the Mexican government will come after him.

On Nov. 7, BBC News posted a picture of a young man named Sergio Ochoa Campos, who claimed to have been one of the survivors. Campos said that he was able to escape and hid on a mountaintop. According to the source, he told a BBC correspondent that he was not afraid to show his face. He has been working to provide the authorities with answers since his escape.

What was once a hopeful gathering that the missing 43 would be found, has now become a violent, raging protest against the government of Mexico for the alleged involvement in the missing students capture and death. There is no telling how long this protest will last, as there is still no idea as to when justice will be delivered. As the Mexican political system, amongst its recent crimes, has been exposed as corrupt, they can only expect to be making a large change in the future, or continue to be at the mercy of angry Mexican citizens.

By Crystal Boulware

Sources:

BBC News
LA Times
New York Times
CNN

Your Thoughts?