Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar have agreed to do an interview about the molestation case that involved their oldest son Josh, who was 14 at the time. The interview will air Wednesday on Megyn Kelly’s program on Fox News.
The couple made a statement regarding the incident where Josh Duggar admitted to the incidents, although neither he or his parents went into details about the behavior. The younger Duggar’s sins became public knowledge after a magazine printed a police report from 12 years ago that alleged a teen molested five girls, some of which were presumably his sisters. Although the heavily redacted report did not contain name of the minors involved, there was enough information included to tie it to Josh Duggar. A judge has since ordered the report destroyed to protect the victim’s identities.
Josh Duggar, now 27, married and with three children of his own, was never prosecuted for the crime because of a turn of events that resulted in the officer who took the report serving prison time on charges of child pornography; as a result the police were not made aware of the report until 2006, well after the statute of limitations ran out. Josh said in a statement released after the scandal broke:
I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation. We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing, and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling. I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life.
Josh Duggar resigned his post at the Family Research Council, a Washington, D.C. based lobbying group that focuses on family values. His wife, Anna, said in a separate statement that Josh made her aware of his wrongdoings before they began a serious courtship. She has continued to support him in the scandal, stating the teen that committed those acts is not the man she is married to now.
The family still has other questions to answer in the interview about the molestation incident. One of the most common questions is whether the parents, who espouse a priority on family, protected the other children from their oldest son after the incident. Other questions remain on the type of counseling their son and other victims participated in and whether the counseling was legitimate.
News of an on-air interview has also brought criticism because the public is not convinced that a Fox News anchor can ask tough questions of the couple who promote conservative Christian views and support conservative political candidates. Not only will the Duggars sit down with Kelly, but some additional filming will take place at their Arkansas home. That portion will air in a one-hour special of the Kelly File on June 5, according to a press release. Kelly, a former prosecutor, is known for participating in tough interviews. The interview will be at 9 p.m.
The popular show 19 Kids and Counting has been pulled from TLC’s lineup and it remains uncertain whether the show will return. It may have been a consideration last week, but numerous sponsors have since pulled the plug on advertising for the show. A public move is on, including a petition on Change.org, for remaining sponsors to withdraw support.
Even though the Duggars are agreeing to an interview to discuss the molestation case, the mainstream public has already made its decision and want the Duggars to be further investigated. That is not likely to happen since police failed to initiate an investigation when the allegations first surfaced. Perhaps the Duggar interview will leave the public with some answers regarding the safety of their other children.
By Melody Dareing
US Weekly: Josh Duggar’s Parents, Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar, to Discuss Son’s Molestation Scandal in Sit-Down Interview with Fox News’ Megyn Kelly
The Boston Herald: Inside the Cover Up
LA Times: ’19 Kids and Counting’ controversy: Duggar parents to speak on Fox News
Photo Courtesy of Lwp Kommunikacio Flickr Page – Creative Commons License