Manhunt Ends for Shooter of Four Across Three Maine Towns

Maine

In the early morning hours of Friday, July 17, police reported that four people had been shot in three different towns in northern Maine. A spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety, Steve McCausland, said the shootings happened in the towns of Benedicta, Lee, and Silver Ridge. A manhunt ensued following the shootings. The manhunt only lasted over the course of the day before police were able to apprehend the suspected shooter of four people across three Maine towns.

Police said that the alleged gunman was 35-year-old Anthony Lord from Houlton and Crystal, Maine. Lord is a registered sex offender who was said to be armed and dangerous at the time of the manhunt.

Authorities said that Lord had allegedly stolen a 2010, Maine commercially registered, maroon Peterbilt logging truck that said ‘McCarthy’ in green letters on the side, and had an orange pulp boom. The truck was reported to be empty. The truck’s license plate number was 631745, as reported by Newsweek.

During the manhunt, Lord’s description from the sex offender registry was readily available. This description was widely used and stated that he was 5 feet 9 inches tall, 260 pounds with blonde hair and blue eyes.

Police had originally been focusing their search in the Lee area, 40 miles south of the town of Benedicta and 60 miles northeast of the Bangor area. Lee was on lockdown throughout the morning of Friday, July 17, as reported by the Portland Press Herald. The town is in Penobscot County with a population of 900 people and is about 40 square miles. The third shooting took place 36 miles north of there in Silver Ridge.

The residents of Lee were not alarmed by the strong police presence in their little Maine town. One resident, James Knealand, told reporters that they were all pretty well armed. The State Police had a command post set up at Lee Academy, a secondary school.

Authorities had planned a news conference for the afternoon of July 17, at 1:30 p.m. from the Lincoln Police Department. This was in order to update people concerning the victims, as well as the arrest of the gunman who reportedly shot four people in three Maine towns. Lord was arrested in Houlton and he apparently had a woman with him at the time of his arrest.

Lord has a significant criminal history, which dates back to 1999 when he was still a teenager. In 2002, Lord was sentenced to 364 days in prison for criminal trespassing and assault. His sentence was suspended. Also in 2002, he was charged with Class A gross sexual assault and Class C unlawful sexual contact with a child under the age of 14. In 2004, Lord pleaded guilty to the lesser charge for a sentence of five years in prison, with all but 18 months suspended. Lord has also been convicted of theft, trafficking tobacco while in prison, and recently, domestic violence assault. In February, he was sentenced for the domestic assault charge to 10 months with all but 45 days suspended.

According to Maine state police, Lord was arrested in Houlton. The manhunt for the man who shot four people in three Maine towns has ended.

According to The Boston Globe, Lord purportedly killed two people and wounded three during his shooting rampage Friday, July 17. Lord also kidnapped a 22-year-old woman before he was arrested in Houlton, at the home of a relative, State Police said. So far, Lord has been charged with two counts of murder and kidnapping. Police are expecting more charges to come. There have been no comments concerning Lord’s motive for his shooting spree.

At Friday’s press conference, Maine State Police Lieutenant Sean Hashey said that at 4:40 a.m. Lord broke into Kary Mayo’s home in Silver Ridge Township. Lord tied up Mayo and roughed him up before stealing his guns and pickup truck. Half-an-hour later, police were called back to the residence of a barn fire earlier that night. This time, instead of a fire, police found Kim Irish, 55, with a gunshot wound. Lord had shot her and her daughter’s boyfriend, Kyle Hewitt, 22. Then Lord kidnapped Brittany Irish, 22. Hewitt was airlifted to a local hospital where he died.

Carlton Eddy drove by the Irish home. Lord shot through Eddy’s car window and hit him in the shoulder. Irish and Eddy are both expected to recover.

At 5:50 a.m. police in East Millinocket spotted the stolen pickup, starting a high-speed chase. Hashey said that Lord shot at the police officer, but the officer was not injured, nor were police able to catch Lord and lost the pickup truck.

Shortly after, police were called to Winn Road, in Lee where Clayton McCarthy, 54, and Kevin Tozier, 58 had both been shot. Tozier was killed, but McCarthy was merely wounded and is expected to recover. Police said that Lord stole a different truck from the wood lot, which was found Friday afternoon in Haynesville.

Lord was found in Houlton after his uncle called and reported his whereabouts to the State Police. Brittany Irish was also found in the Houlton home and was safe and unharmed. Police arrested Lord “without incident,” ending the manhunt for the shooter of four across three Maine towns..

By Jeanette Smith

Sources:

USA Today: Police: 4 Shot in 3 Maine Communities, Gunman at Large
Fox News: Cops Hunt for Sex Offender, Lockdown After 4 People Shot in 3 Maine Communities
ABC News: 4 People Shot in 3 Maine Communities; Armed Man Sought
Telegraph: Manhunt in Maine After Sex Offender ‘Shoots Four People’
Newsweek: Four People Shot During Overnight Rampage in Maine; Gunman Sought
Portland Press Herald: Four People Shot in 3 Northern Maine Towns; Manhunt Underway
WRAL: Police: 4 People Shot in Maine; Armed Ex-Con in Custody
The Boston Globe: Convicted Sex Offender Sought in Maine Manhunt Arrested

Photo Courtesy of Brandon Anderson’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License

Your Thoughts?