In San Francisco, Apple announced the launch of their new versions of the 2014 iPhone 6. Apple states, “The only thing that’s changed is everything.” There are new colors, features, and a new purchasing program. Since the last was phone was released, technology has grown tremendously. The newly announced phones use sophisticated programming and creative ways to use those programs. Apple’s new operating system, the iOS 9, will be released Sept. 16, 2015. The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are the newly launched phones, and Apple offers innovative changes. The new phones are available to purchase on Sept. 25, 2015. However, a person can pre-order a new phone. There are two ways to pre-order a new iPhone 6S or 6S Plus. One can order using the Apple website or the carrier of their choice. According to the Apple website, the carriers are AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon.
iPhone’s New Features:
- The new colors are Gold and Rose Gold. Silver and Space Gray are still available.
- Both new models offer 3D Touch. With 3D touch, the user presses softly to preview things, then can push harder to view the full screen. Releasing the screen takes the user back to what they were previously doing.
- The camera upgrade is 12 megapixels. The previous iPhone6, 6 Plus, and 5S sported 8-megapixel cameras.
- There is a new chip, the A9, improving the CPU’s performance.
- The memory capacities across all phones are 16GB and 64GB. The new phones now offer a 128GB memory choice.
New Camera Technology:
- In addition to 12 MP pictures, the photos are now “live.” When a photo is taken, the phone records for 1.5 seconds. The picture is a mini-video.
- There is a state-of-the-art advanced pixel system. “Focus Pixels” is the term used by Apple. This gives the user great photos without much effort.
- Panoramic photos can be taken; up to 63MP.
- 4K video; the comparison Apple makes is HD video is 1920X1080 pixels in size, as opposed to the 4K video size being 3840X2160. With 4K video, there are over 8,000,000 pixels.
- The camera offers “optical image stabilization.” This feature creates the ability to shoot great pictures and videos, even in lower lights.
- Selfies are easier than ever to take. The “FaceTime HD” camera is now 5MP. There is a face detection feature, a timer mode and with the new live photos more detailed selfies can be taken.
- “Retina Flash,” feature offers the user a “pre-flash” which detects the surrounding lighting. Additionally, the “True Tone flash” matches the existing light for the ultimate photo.
- iOS 9 is the new operating system which comes in the new phones. The iOS 9 will also improve the older phones. According to osXDaily, it is easy to install. In fact, the new system will update all Apple products across the board.
- The A9 chip is, as Apple says, “the most advanced chip ever in a smartphone.” This third-generation chip increases the CPU’s performance.
- For more technical information go to the Apple Website.
During the launch on September 9, Apple also announced a new purchasing program called, the “iPhone upgrade program.” The advertisement on the Apple website reads, “A new iPhone every year and the coverage you want from AppleCare+.” This new program for iPhone is another way Apple offers innovative changes for its consumers.
The Upgrade Program Facts:
- Payments can be spread out over a 24-month period. The program is financed through Citizens One Personal Loans. For more information go to the Apple or Citizens Bank websites. A 24-month payment schedule is required.
- For the 6S phone, the payments begin at $32.41 per month for a 16GB phone. The price increases a little over $4.00 for phones with larger memories.
- For the 6S Plus, the prices begin at $36.58 per month.
- The monthly plan includes Apple Care+ for both years.
- With the plan, broken iPhones can be replaced at a discounted price. There is a limit of two replacements available.
- The Apple store in your area will assist the consumer with the upgrade plan.
- When an interested purchaser goes to the store, they will have to provide their personal information for a credit check. A valid personal credit card is required as well as two valid forms of identification.
- Phones will be sold “unlocked” through this program, and the consumer can choose their carrier.
With all of the changes and choices, a person wanting to buy one of the new phones should do their research. According to USA Today, the COO of T-Mobile stated, “Anything that gives customers total choice is a win for them, and it is a win for T-Mobile. Unlocked phones give consumers the freedom to try out any carrier. That is a fantastic thing for T-Mobile too.” An important note; while the Apple website offers assistance with reservations, there are limited selections of phones in various states. Colors, model choices and carriers available in your area can be found by using the site’s “Stores with available reservations” reserve and pick up service. Apple’s iPhone 6S and 6S Plus offers several new innovative changes, yet the phones are, “so easy to use, you already know how to use [them],” according to Apple.
By Cathy Milne
Edited By Leigh Haugh
Apple Website: iPhone
USA Today: How Apple’s New iPhone Installment Plan Works
PC: The Most Eye-Catching Things Apple Announced This Week
Featured Photo Courtesy of stevepb’s Pixabay Page – CC0 Public Domain