The 68th annual Emmy Awards aired Sept. 18, 2016, at 7:00 p.m. EDT. According to ABC, Jimmy Kimmel is hosting this evening’s events from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, California. The awards went to programs that aired between June 1, 2015, and May 31, 2016.
The excitement built as the audience waited for Keegan-Michael Keys announced who was the next Emmy Award recipient. The winner of Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series is Julia Louise-Dreyfus for “Veep.” She became very emotional when she thanked her father stating he passed away on Sept. 16.
Nominees for Lead Actress in a Lead Comedy Series
- ABC – “Black-ish,” Tracee Ellis Ross as Rainbow Johnson.
- HBO – “Getting On,” Laurie Metcalf as Dr. Jenna James.
- Netflix – “Grace And Frankie,” Lily Tomlin as Frankie.
- Comedy Central – “Inside Amy Schumer,” Amy Schumer as Amy.
- Netflix – “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,” Ellie Kemper as Kimmy Schmidt.
- HBO – “Veep,” Julia Loius-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer.
Nominees were announced on July 14, 2016, in a ceremony hosted by the Television Academy Chairman and CEO Bruce Rosenblum and Anthony Anderson, from the ABC television show “Black-ish.” Lauren Graham, from “Parenthood” and the revival of the new “Gilmore Girls,” show on Netflix, were alongside Rosenblum and Anderson.
Written by Tracy Blake
Edited by Cathy Milne
Emmys.com: 68th Emmy Awards Nominations
ABC Live Television: The 68th Emmy Awards
Image Courtesy of Alan Light’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License