On Sept. 14, 2016, six victories and three draws ended the first matchday of the UEFA Champions League (UCL) group stage. Eight games were scheduled, but the one postponed the day before, due to torrential rain, took place on September 14.
Legia Warsaw 0-6 Borussia Dortmund
Borussia Dortmund won 6-0 against Legia Warsaw, at the Polish Army Stadium. Thus, setting the team as one of the favorites to qualify for the knockout phase from Group D. Six different players scored for the team’s victory; Gotze, Papastathopoulos, Bartra, Guerreiro, Castro, and Aubameyang.
Manchester City 4-0 Borussia Monchengladbach
The match between Manchester City and Borussia Monchengladbach took place on September 14, although, it was scheduled to happen the day before. The stormy weather caused the officials to postpone it. However, it seemed that the team coached by Pep Guardiola was not affected by the rescheduling. The British won 4-0 against Borussia Monchengladbach at the Etihad Stadium.
Matchday 1 Highlights
- 16 goals were scored in the first halves of the nine games during the second matchday of the 2016 UCL’s group stage.
- Jan Gregus (FC Copenhagen) was the only player who received a red card.
- Riyad Mahrez (Leicester FC) scored twice, while Sergio Aguero (Manchester City) put the ball in the net three times. Moreover, both Mahrez and Aguero scored with two penalty kicks during the second matchday of the European competition.
All the Results of Matchday 1
- Club Brugge 0-3 Leicester
- FC Porto 1-1 FC Copenhagen
- Juventus 0-0 Sevilla
- Legia Warsaw 0-6 Borussia Dortmund
- Leverkusen 2-2 CSKA Moscow
- Tottenham 1-2 Monaco
- Real Madrid 2-1 Sporting Lisbon
- Lyon 3-0 Dinamo Zagreb
- Manchester City 4-0 Borussia Monchengladbach
The next stage of the UEFA Champions League group phase will take place on Sept. 27 and 28, 2016. The 32 teams will compete for the supreme European trophy. The 2016 UCL’s final will take place on June 3, 2017, at the Millennium Stadium, in Cardiff, Wales.
Written by Bianca-Ramona Dumitru
Edited by Jeanette Smith
UEFA: UEFA Champions League latest
Image Courtesy of Jan S0L0’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License