The 68th annual Emmy Awards aired Sept. 18, 2016, at 7:00 p.m. EDT. According to ABC, Jimmy Kimmel is hosting this evening’s events from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, California. The Emmy nominees were from programs that aired between June 1, 2015, and May 31, 2016.
Nominees were announced on July 14, 2016, in a ceremony hosted by the Television Academy Chairman and CEO Bruce Rosenblum and Anthony Anderson from the ABC television show “Black-ish.” Lauren Graham from “Parenthood” and the revival of the new “Gilmore Girls” show on Netflix joined the nominee ceremony.
Nominees for Lead Actress in a Drama Series
- FX Network – “The Americans,” Keri Russell as Elizabeth Jennings
- Fox – “Empire,” Taraji P. Henson as Cookie Lyon
- Showtime – “Homeland,” Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison
- Netflix – “House of Cards,” Robin Wright as Claire Underwood
- ABC – “How to Get Away With Murder,” Viola Davis as Annalise Keating
- BBC America – “Orphan Black,” Tatiana Maslany as Sarah, Alison, Cosima, Helena, Rachel, M.K., and Krystal
The excitement built as the audience waited for Kiefer Sutherland announced tonight’s Emmy Awards for the winner of Lead Actress in a Drama Series was Tatiana Maslany for her role in “Orphan Black.”
Written by Tracy Blake
Edited by Cathy Milne
Emmys.com: 68th Emmy Awards Nominations
ABC Live Television: The 68th Emmy Awards
Image Courtesy of Gage Skidmore’s Flickr Page – Creative commons License