White Pastor Slams ‘Make America Great Again’ Slogan in Viral Video

racismPastor Dennis Rouse of Victory World Church in Norcross, GA slams “Make America Great Again” slogan and exposes racism in the country. He believes it is the job of the church to heal the racial divide, not just in America, but also around the world. Many Caucasians sincerely imagine that they live in a country that is, for the most part, a land of equal opportunity that is mostly free of racism. Rouse’s message of hope and healing for a racially charged country will bring some to tears, and offend others. However, it should make all Americans reconsider their perspectives on racism and reevaluate their own level of prejudice.

Jesus died in order to tear down the walls of hostility that have separated his body. Often when discussing the obstacles surrounding church and racism, Caucasians do not seem to get it. Many believe the idea of racism is outdated and if you simply announce to the world that you believe in the equality of all people that is enough. In the church, the prevailing mentality is that God wants his church to be multicultural and he will make it happen. This attitude helps Christians remain ignorant to the systemic and very structured dimension of racism and how it affects minority believers who attempt to join their congregations.

Pastor Rouse admitted that his Caucasian race has a hard time understanding this crisis in America. He described the environmental applause when the slogan, “Make America Great Again” first surfaced, and said most of the cheers came from his race. To clarify his point, the pastor invited a young African-American male onto the stage; after having him take a seat, Rouse said:

I thought to myself if I am going to be a Christian I need to filter that statement (Make America Great Again) through the lens of other races, not just my own. If I were a young black man in America and I am thinking through the lens of, ‘Make America Great Again’ I have to ask, ‘When was America great for you?’

When was there a season or time in the last 240 years that America was great for them? In the beginning of our nation, the 1700s, we brought a lot of people like this black man from Africa by the millions. History tells us that millions of black people died in that transition.

Rouse called this one of the greatest atrocities of one race in all of human history. He acknowledged the tragedy of the well-publicized Holocaust but admitted the crisis of racism surrounding black America receives much less advertisement. He explained the reason for the lack of acknowledgment as follows:

…because my race does not want to feel guilty. I am not saying you should feel guilty because YOU did not do that, but your race did.

The preacher slams the “Make America Great Again” slogan and exposed racism, not just for black America but also for all minorities. He referenced the Native Americans, Mexicans, and Asians. When was America great for these minorities when the country harassed them out of fear? Although they had become citizens, the country feared they would turn against them and put them in camps and abused them. He paused and asked his listeners “Was that great?” Then he said:

The only people who could say America was great would be my people. America was great for us. We had a lot of folks like this young man (referencing the young black male on the stage) serving us for the last couple of hundred years. Now over the last few years, some of those people are rising up. They have had enough. Movements are starting and different things are happening in the nation that screams, “Hey we matter too!” White America is getting scared and now are uncomfortable because “this nation is not like it used to be.

Through a heartfelt message, Pastor Rouse slams the “Make America Great Again” slogan and exposes racism. As he began to wash the young man’s feet, he said, “in order to make America great, this slogan must be filtered through the eyes of Jesus and not just the Caucasian race.” Jesus committed no sin but became sin so that he could identify and understand the burden of humanity and ultimately become the answer that humans needed. He was touched withracism the feelings of infirmities so that he could identify with pain and agony and become passionate about healing.

If this country is going to experience healing, it needs people willing to adopt the mentality of Christ and become bothered by things that affect others, not like them. More importantly, if the church seeks to manifest the beauty and wonder of God’s diverse humanity in a significant manner; it must reach out and cross ethnic and cultural lines. This will not only challenge paradigms but also enrich lives and expand the worldview of Christians across the globe.

The racial divide in America and all around the world needs healing. This 10-minute clip may move many to tears, inspire some, or even offend others. If viewed with an open heart and mind it will cause viewers to evaluate their own level of prejudice, if any exists, and consider their perspectives on race relations. Nothing is as simple as it seems. Take the time to watch this all the way through.

The church must contribute to healing the country. Thank you, Pastor Dennis Rouse, for your spirit of grace and humility while sharing such a powerful message of unity and exposing racism in the slogan, “Make America Great Again.”

Opinion by Cherese Jackson (Virginia)

Source:

Victory World Church: Pastor Dennis Rouse

Image Credits:

Top Image Courtesy of Victory World Church
Inline Image Courtesy of Abe Novy – Flickr CC License
Featured Image Courtesy of Gage Skidmore – Flickr CC License

9 Responses to "White Pastor Slams ‘Make America Great Again’ Slogan in Viral Video"

1. Chaplain Bernell Wesley   May 4, 2017 at 1:31 pm

The Kingdom of God is being manifested and stories like this one are happening all over the world. When Jesus declared that it was “finished” in John 19:28-30 He confirmed that the Kingdom of God was now established. In Matthew 26:29 Jesus said this: “29 I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until the day when I drink it anew with you in My Father’s” kingdom. Every time we partake of communion we are admonished to think about Jesus and in so doing we receive this communion in the established Kingdom of God. Blessing to this pastor, his family, and his ministry in Jesus the Christ’s name Amen….. Warriors, We Don’t Die, We Multiply

2. tina   April 17, 2017 at 3:57 am

Can we stop pointing fingers, repent, and do what called us to do? Be the church and love one other for if we love one another people will know that we are his disciples. That’s it. He matters more than any political party, system, etc… If the church….

3. Cristiane Fukuda   April 5, 2017 at 6:20 pm

I’m proud to say he is my pastor and this is not just a sermon; it’s a life style at the church I am proud to call home. We are Victory!

• Cherese Jackson   April 6, 2017 at 4:11 pm

I love it!

4. Scott Burgamy   April 3, 2017 at 8:01 pm

I think “Make America Great Again” may mean different things to different people but to me it means help us get back to the values that made our country the greatest country to live in because of the faith we had in God. No country ever has been or ever will be perfect because we have given control of this world to Satan. I believe it means we can all be Americans rather than Black Americans, White Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans, or Native Americans. Just as all of us Christ Followers like to find common ground in Christ, we as Americans should consider ourselves Americans and not a country of fractured groups.
    Yes, I am a white man but my Dad grew up poor but was able to work hard and provide for his family. The Irish and Italians had a pretty rough time of it when they came to this country as well. My wife sometimes accuses me of being too Irish or too German if I lose my temper. I am just fallen but I tell her I am an American.
    The bottom line for Christ Followers is that His blood was shed for all and we all took part in his crucifixion but He did rise again! I would like to see the faith of our fathers rise again in our country. As long as “Making America Great Again” is a statement of fact and not a statement of pride, I have no problem with it.

5. Prescott   April 2, 2017 at 4:23 pm

Its sad to see that some people believe that all the races in America lived homogeneously before Obama became president. I heard this pastor say, “Look at the world in their eyes”. It seems a lot of white people refuse to do so. History warns us that no matter how big and powerful a country is, without God it can and will fail. This pastor is spot on, if America don’t repent for the sins of their fathers, and come together as ONE, then we are doom to failure. If you want to Make America Great? Do what Jesus said, follow Me!

6. Marilis   April 2, 2017 at 9:09 am

We, the Christian people, realized that racism was over in this country before Mr. Obama planned to destroy you and me and all of us pastor! The USA had been there for everyone for years, pastor. If you deny this reality you are lost in the space! Thanks to The Living God, this nation gave and still giving chance to everyone to succed in this soil. But, The USA follow the rule of God that said; vigilant borders but not open borders! If the USA did not follow God’s laws you would not has the chance to preach like you do pastor! Thanks to God, Our Savior, Jesuschrist, Obama and his racism is out forever! Why? Because this beautiful nation is in God hands and was separated for his only Glory and the protection of his true church of believers!

• Patrick Moore   April 2, 2017 at 11:07 am

Racism was over before Obama? I will pray for you, because it appears you are the one “lost in the space”. Everything this pastor said was spot on. White people should not feel guilty for something they did not do, but to fail to acknowledge history and what has been done to minorities in this country is ignorance of the most extreme kind.

The phrase “Make America Great Again” implies a return to the past. A past where minorities were absolutely in a bad place in our society. Do you know when America was great for the Native Americans? Before WE showed up. Are we worried about borders so much because we know what can happen simply because WE have already done it to the people that lived here before us? Think about that for a minute…

• Troy Addison   April 2, 2017 at 8:01 pm

Sorry my friend but you must be living in a bubble somewhere with no human interaction. I say that with every fiber of my being as a Christian man! Racism has NEVER been over anywhere. Not just in America but all over the world! I won’t even go into the “Make America Great Again” issue! That would take more time than you or I have! And just remember just because it’s not happening to you doesn’t mean it’s not happening and denial is not a river in Egypt! It’s very easy for a person not of color who hasn’t “walked a mile in our shoes” to say that this stuff is just made up or something to whine about which is pretty sad because that means you don’t get outside of your own circle and realize there’s a world out there! Mostly good but not so good either. It’s like the rich man who’s never been poor telling poor people they ought to just get over it! So sad that some people can’t think outside the box!