Cesar Sayoc, the mail bomb suspect arrested last week, waived a bond hearing in Miami, on Friday, Nov. 2, 2018. He agreed to be transported to New York and face federal charges for the multiple explosives he sent to critics of President Donald J. Trump.
The Florida man is accused of mailing over a dozen pipe bombs. He targeted CNN, former President Barack Obama, former Vice President Joe Biden, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former Attorney General Eric Holder, one-time CIA Director John Brennan, Senators Cory Booker, and Kamala Harris, Representative Maxine Waters, Democratic donor George Soros, activist Tom Steyer, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and actor Robert DeNiro.
None of the bombs detonated. The devices he allegedly mailed were intercepted in Florida, New York, Delaware, California, and Washington, D.C.
Federal investigators tied the mailings to Sayoc through fingerprints that were taken off a package mailed to Waters and two DNA samples from mailings to the Congresswoman and former President Obama, according to the criminal complaint.
It was reported that Sayoc had been planning to mail the bombs since July.
The 56-year-old has been in federal custody in Miami since he was arrested a week ago. Sayoc was arrested at an auto parts store in Plantation, Florida.
Federal prosecutors from the Southern District of New York have charged Sayoc with five criminal counts: Threats against former presidents, interstate transport of explosives, making threatening interstate communications, mailing of explosives, and assault of current or former officials.
He is facing up to 48 years in prison if Sayoc is convicted on all counts.
Sayoc wore a khaki jail jumpsuit and his hands were shackled at his waist. He was attentive as he was conferring with his lawyers, but he did not show outward emotion.
According to defense lawyers, it is likely he will have a new legal team when he fights the charges in New York.
Defense lawyer Jamie Benjamin said they wanted to be sure that all of Sayoc’s constitutional rights were preserved. Currently, she feels they have done all they can.
It is not known when Sayoc will be moved to New York. Benjamin could only say that the government wants him moved as soon as possible.
In a letter to U.S. Magistrate Judge Edwin Torres, prosecutors said Sayoc should remain in jail because he is a “substantial danger” to the community.
There is powerful proof that the defendant perpetrated these crimes and that means he poses a substantial danger to the community, according to prosecutors.
“In light of the consequences at issue and the likelihood of conviction, the defendant is also a substantial flight risk. Therefore, pretrial detention is appropriate.”
By Jeanette Smith
NBC News: Mail Bomb Suspect Will Be Moved to New York
FOX News: Cesar Sayoc package bomb suspect agrees to face charges in New York
Image Courtesy of Michael Coghlan’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License