Jahi McMath Case Has Alarming New Details

Jahi McMath Case Has Alarming New Details

Health specialists, who have been watching the Jahi McMath case, have released alarming new details about the teen’s situation this past week. They stated that it is just a matter of time before the life support, which now is the only reason that her heart is beating, will no longer be able to continue to allow her body to appear as if it has any life in it. There in no brain function to help aid her body, so it is likely the beat of her heart will stop soon. If that occurs in days, weeks or months, no one can say. However, it seems that will be the one event which will define when Jahi actually died.

McMath, age 13, came to be in her present condition after she had a medical procedure to take out her tonsils. The young teen became the center of debate over patients’ rights, and of families and caregivers in relation to the death of a person. Jahi McMath was declared deceased by the doctors at Children’s Hospital in California back on Dec. 12, 2013. She even has had a death certificate issued from the Los Angeles County coroner’s office. However, Jahi’s family continues to insist the girl is still alive, no matter what evidence is placed in front of them.

Once termination of all brain activity has been confirmed, there is no recovery, stated Rebecca S. Dresser, who is a professor of law and ethics at Washington University, which is located in St Louis, Missouri.

Dresser was one of the members of a presidential council, which was held in 2008 that went on to reaffirm the term “whole brain death” as being considered legal death. Even though a federal magistrate agreed with the doctors’ findings that McMath was deceased, the judge gave the teen’s family a temporary sanction allowing her to stay on the life support systems until more rulings could be completed. The judge then surprised everyone and went ahead and ruled that Jahi could be released out of the hospital and placed in the care of her mother but not before she was released to the coroner.

McMath was taken out of Children’s Hospital and moved to a private location to receive further care and treatment. Doctors have said that brain cells start dying due to the lack of any flowing blood. The brain starts to break down and turn to liquid. The other body organs also start deteriorating as the circulatory system begins to deliver less and less blood flow to these parts.

The young teen’s present condition has been described as severe and even though she is being given fluids and minerals, she is suffering from a condition that stops a feeding tube from being inserted. Numerous medical authorities believe that McMath’s body may have deteriorated to the point that any attempt to introduce nutrients into her body other than intravenously will result in aspiration—a very serious complication.

The family of McMath is struggling to come to terms with the very real loss of their young daughter, so hard in fact that they refuse to face the facts. Coming from someone who has lost someone she loves to brain death, there is a time when a family must give up the fight and let the shell that once held the loved one go. The public has mixed feelings toward the family. One on hand, some want to condemn them for their refusal in letting go. Others think they are to be commending for showing they have a strong faith in higher power and are waiting for him to heal the child. These people will never heal as long as this continues.

They have chosen to ignore what the health specialists have said about Jahi, and they refuse to pay attention to the new details about the teen’s situation.

By Kimberly Ruble

The Huffington Post

All Voices News

CNN

118 Responses to "Jahi McMath Case Has Alarming New Details"

1. Ella C.   January 20, 2014 at 9:23 pm

What i find to be most insulting are the comments that the family is just after money?
    I haven’t read or heard anything indicating that the family was determined to sue for any damages, but if they do?! They would be within their rights. **I find all the damning comments about a lawsuit “racist” as if black life means little. And all blacks want is a way to get paid. “Others” sue all the time and nothing negative is said about it. In a case like this, non blacks, would be encouraged to sue. I think the families decisions have been incorrect, but I do not question their love for jahi. May god bless and heal that family.

2. Ella C.   January 20, 2014 at 9:07 pm

People need to stop trying to force gods hand! Stop trying to “make him do miracles”
    Many are denied available medical treatment and die needlessly, because god must confirm someone’s faith. This is such a case, only now the lord must perform an resurrection. Jahi has long ago awaken, and is in gods presense and care. Her poor family needs to “awaken!” Not jahi, its already done.

**Believers need to cease, trying to twist gods arm. Except his sovereign will.

3. Maggy8   January 18, 2014 at 10:37 am

Just looked at these fund me web site a few minutes ago. People still donating…not joke…still donating.

• Maggy8   January 18, 2014 at 10:39 am

Stupid auto correct!

• Sadie2013   January 18, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I saw that too, how can people still donate when they can’t even get a picture to prove she’s still wherever they say she is. And they won’t even give an update on her. Makes me feel like they are still taking the donations but don’t want to tell anyone anything…it’s just to get more publicity.

4. ps   January 15, 2014 at 2:08 pm

They are keeping her “alive” because “loss of consortium” claim will be tiny. It is sad that malpractice laws have pushed a family to this. One day you may have to walk in their shoes and will understand. It goes something like 50k if she is dead but 1-2 million if she is “alive”. If you are angry at the hospital, which do you want to get hospital to change procedural practice. More likely they wanted-even “helped” her be dead to limit their loss. You will never know how nasty some hospitals are. Be vigilant if any family member of yours ends up in a hospital.

• Sadie2013   January 15, 2014 at 7:20 pm

well I don’t know about you or anyone else but I have enough common sence about me to know when they say BRAIN DEAD that means BRAIN DEAD. no waking up no moving no anything. I for one wouldn’t wanna watch my childs fingers and toes falling off just for some stinking money. I cannot believe anyone could do such a thing. But this world is full of ignorant people. Looks like a money hungry bunch to me now. I cant believe this S***. I just don’t have sympathy for anyone who can use their dead child for money gains. ITS DISGUSTING TO THE MAX. I would rather live under a bridge without anything as to put on of my children thru what little JAHI has been put thru.

5. Gail Brown   January 15, 2014 at 8:13 am

While! I am sorter lost of words, butt not hope and prayer for the family to friends and nation. Jesus you the only one, whom know that child start to finish I pray you give the parents a more definition vision are sign, that will be a light of direction confirmation for they healing mentally physically and emotionally for whatever the out come is father God its through a dream are a vision from the child spirit that lives on no matter with the child fate is my God my soul to heart cries out, but I still have to go on through the strength

that dwell in they inner spirit the comforter the holy spirit of the living God that within us whoo! my God of the heavens I pray for Jahi mother and father inner spirit that has more wisdom to understanding and knowledge than the flesh to carnal thinking that more. I just pray for they spiritual strength and power that can heal them inside out the more so they trust in father God and our beloved savior in let go and let go hear his voice to inner desire in Jesus name I pray!

6. Sadie2013   January 14, 2014 at 7:07 pm

OMG…has anyone looked on the website called opionatedgoddess.blogspot.com/ I can’t tell for sure but look at Jahi’s hand. it just don’t look right. then theres one on media.nbcbayarea.com/images/654*369/hands8.jpg. the hand on the opinionatedgoddess site looks so old and the one on the other is young. Could that be their “alarming new details” Can’t they see that and realize what is happening?

• Peace for Jahi's family! eh forget that lol   January 15, 2014 at 12:51 am

Yes I saw that too, and now the refrain is gearing up to shout “Jahi would still be alive if only she’d had enough NUTRITION!!1!”

Dear Lord, I am back to noticing how money hungry these people are, only wanting to profit from a dead relative. The writers at Guardianlv.com are clearly lacking in the basic logic department, because er, isn’t it obvious to the rest of us that even “starving” people would still have brain activity?

If she’s still “alive” then show us a picture of that fresh glowing complexion.

• Sadie2013   January 15, 2014 at 7:44 am

I was really wanting this little girl to wake up , don’t get me wrong I know god can work miracles , but, after looking at those pictures……..I think he has a plan for her. And that woman needs some serious schooling in how to except things when they don’t go her way. This is called corpse abuse. WHY don’t someone with a higher authority step in and do something. I have noticed how the uncle is on there all the time and to me he acts like he’s running the show, Where’s this child’s father? Don’t he have a say in what happens to her can’t he put a stop to this? And I’ve not seen the step father with her too much just the uncle. What does he have to gain? I think that when its all done with and IF the mother gets a big settlement she will get it all and uncle will get zilch and then they will be fighting. Yeah, it’s not about Little Jahi anymore. It’s all about MONEY. And when or if someone does stop this people need to leave color out of it. It’s not got a thing to do with it. This should be about that little girl and not the momma, uncle, lawyer and so on. But, money is the root of ALL evil. I’m glad I only have what the good lord has blessed me with. But there really should be a closure for this precious little girl. Lay her to Rest and let her soar with the Angels. She is far better off than we are.

7. DL   January 14, 2014 at 5:57 am

The parents are only getting their way because the law in different states vary.State law differs in what constitutes legally dead.The judge would have been obstructing their civil rights,had he concluded differently.

• Maxine's Daughter   January 15, 2014 at 7:31 am

well, you are HALF right. Uniform Death Code or whatever is law in all 50 states. what people are allowed to do with dead bodies is entirely another. I think Grillo has totally LOST it and if I lived in Cali, I’d make sure he was removed.

8. Rebecca Field   January 14, 2014 at 3:28 am

The family knows she is dead. They are grifters, plain and simple. If they admit she is dead their donations sites won’t bring anything in. Call me racist ( I’m not) I don’t care, but walks, talks, ….ehhhh

• Zanisha Brown   January 14, 2014 at 6:40 am

I do think that the motivation at this point is monetary, but no….it’s not because they are black. It’s a sad situation, and I wish that they would let this child’s body rest, because her soul has already gone to a better place over a month ago.

9. Girl In Kansas   January 14, 2014 at 2:46 am

Has anybody noticed that Jahi was both heavier and shorter than her 8yr old sister. At 13yrs of age, Jahi should have grown. I suggest there were significant other problems, including problems either with her pituitary gland and or her thyroid gland. That Catholic pediatrician that they consulted who said she was still alive “or her lungs couldn’t push out the air” stated that Jahi needed corrective surgery to both glands. Her mother said that she went into the surgery “with no health problems”, but every time I’ve had surgery its because I had a health problem. I cannot decide if the family is stupid or stupid.

10. Girl In Kansas   January 14, 2014 at 2:36 am

I thought about this, and almost certainly the family is going to sue Children’s Hospital for negligence or malpractice in the “death” of Jahi. But how can the family make this argument when they fundamentally believe that she is still alive? I read a beautiful article by a lady that had a sick kid who was treated at Children’s Hospital of Oakland and it brought tears to my eyes just the level of care that they give their patients. The saddest thing is that Jahi’s spirit COULD HAVE lived on through organ donation but that’s obviously out of the question now. I cannot believe the court released the body to the family….what’s going on is abuse of a corpse…and of course they are going to try to sue Children’s Hospital to pay for her “care”, which means Children’s has to spend mo ey on attorneys that could be going to sick kids.

• dc.CCRN.   January 14, 2014 at 5:03 pm

There doesn’t seem to be grounds for a lawsuit against the hospital. I’m sure the family will try, money talks. But you sign waivers prior to any surgery.

• Maxine's Daughter   January 15, 2014 at 7:32 am

well, I think completely disregarding post op orders, and taking on physical care yourself might negate the “warranty” on the operation.