Dish Network Drops Turner Broadcasting

Dish

A number of favorite Turner Broadcasting channels have recently disappeared from Dish Network after being dropped from the satellite television giant over a failed agreement on a new contract. The loss of channels affects 14 million Dish customers nationwide. The two companies negotiated for months, but the dispute over the new contract could not be resolved and seven Turner channels including Cartoon Network, CNN and Turner Classic Movies have been removed from the satellite television service.

Conflicts between providers and networks have been taking place for years. Programmer’s high fees and the network’s refusal to pay the ever-increasing fees often end in a network or multiple networks being removed until the demands from viewers or lost revenue from advertisers force the networks to agree to the providers’ demands.

The distributors are also facing new competition from online streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and other broadcast providers. Offering programing streamed over the internet at lower pricing have begun to sway viewers away from the high cost cable and satellite fees that customers consistently complain about.

While the dispute in the programing contract between Dish and Turner ended with channels being removed, Time Warner, the parent company to Turner, has been actively looking for ways to increase revenue. Time Warner needs to grow their earnings to cover the ever-increasing programming costs. One of the highest programing costs is sports, and Turner just signed a $11 billion agreement over the next nine years with the NBA. The fees for this new contract are double what they had typically been.

A cable analyst with consulting firm SNL Kagan, Derek Baine, noted on Tuesday that the Turner talks with Dish broke down a short time after executives at Time Warner promised Wall Street that the company would call for a double-digit affiliate fee increase to achieve growth. Blaine also said that Comcast, AT&T, DirecTV and Time Warner Cable are looking to merge, which would give them the upper hand when it comes to negotiations with the programmers and networks.

The negotiations that broke down between Dish and Turner had been going on for months. The contract, which was to expire in July, was extended a number of times because it appeared that the contract was going to be signed. Then on Monday, the talks stalled and the channels were removed from Dish’s programing line up.

The next battle for Dish is anticipated to be with CBS Corp. However, with the NFL in full swing and CBS’s broadcast rights of NFL games and SEC college football games, the leverage seems to fall in CBS’s favor. If negotiations break down like they did with Turner, the possibility of shows like NCIS, Criminal Minds and NFL games may cause Dish customers to go to other options like cable or satellite competitor, DirecTV.

There is hope that the negotiations will pick back up and the Turner Broadcasting line-up that was dropped by Dish Network will return to customers programing line-ups before long. Until then, Dish customers will do without CNN, Cartoon Network and the other beloved Turner Broadcasting channels.

By Carl Auer

Source:
Los Angeles Times
Western Journalism
PRNewser
Photo by Ken Teegardin – Flickr License

43 Responses to "Dish Network Drops Turner Broadcasting"

1. ray footluver   October 30, 2014 at 9:19 pm

thanks to turner ive started looking to my computer to watch my favorites so I don’t care if they come back , im soon to stop paying high sat bill and wach all tv threw my computer much much cheaper and watch what I want when I want with little or no commercials

2. Mrs. D.   October 29, 2014 at 8:32 pm

It’s no secret that Turner Broadcasting is the one playing the game here. Afterall, they are a much, much larger company than Dish and are using their multi million dollar industry as a source of power and control over Dish. Turner is full of nothing but greed with a need to control others. Turner Broadcasting should be ashamed of theirselves and I can’t wait until the day they meet their match! Yes, I miss CNN, but as for Turner Broadcasting, they can fall off the face of the earth as far as I’m concerned.

3. Sarah   October 28, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Turner needs to remember how much they are losing from the 17 million dish subscribers not watching their programing and all the commercials that go with them. Only hurting themselves!!!!

4. zimmett   October 28, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Call Dish now to demand your shows back 1-800-233-SAVE http://savemyshows.com/shows-youre-missing/

5. Harry Grounds   October 28, 2014 at 7:32 pm

My contract is with Dish and I see no reason to change.

6. Shannon   October 28, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Everyone complaining about missing channels need to understand that Dish not just agreeing to huge price increases is better for subscribers. Dish isn’t going to foot the bill in the long run, subscribers are. Thank you Dish for standing up for us to keep our monthly prices down.

• Asher T   October 29, 2014 at 12:17 am

Shannon, How I truly wish I could agree with you that Dish’s actions could possibly keep costs down; I honestly do. But, if tactics like this really worked towards that end, right now we would all be overjoyed with our government leaders and politicians, and there would be no such thing as ‘The National Debt’.

• Chuckbone   October 30, 2014 at 5:45 pm

That makes no sense because Dish is in competition with Direct and various cable companies. Increased prices are an incentive to choose a competitor. You can choose among either or none, if you choose. You cannot choose another ‘government provider.’ Government has no incentive to reduce your price because you can’t take your business elsewhere.

• Asher T   October 31, 2014 at 2:03 am

Not quite, Chuckbone. Yes, Dish has competition, and they know that if they wish to remain your choice and in favor they must provide a level of service and performance which will keep subscribers happy. And while it is not operating in top form these days, that is precisely ‘in a nutshell’ what our founding forefathers had in mind when setting up a democratic governing body. We have choices; Democratic, Republican, Independent, etc. AND we have elections by vote. Yet an additional freedom of choice- you can vote as you wish, or not vote. At this time I would almost agree with you that ‘government has no incentive’, because we now let them get away with everything while doing nothing. In truth, their ‘incentive’ should be the same as 200+ years ago when it was laid out: ‘Perform and serve the people, and do so for the people, ’cause otherwise come next election you’re going to be out on the streets looking for work!’

• Robert   October 29, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Please, they just raised their rates, AGAIN, in California. Plus the customer service is crap. As soon as the contract is up, I’m canceling the service.

7. Clmclm   October 28, 2014 at 4:14 pm

I realized this afternoon there is absolutely nothing on TV worth watching now that DISH has removed all the Turner Network channels. CNN, HLN, and TCM were some of the best channels in the entire system. How hateful is DISH for not trying to negotiate a better arrangement for the 14 million subscribers who now have nothing to watch? I don’t care about sports channels. Fortunately, we are moving from this area in about six months and I can resubscribe to someone else. DISH sucks, plain and simple and we, the subscriber, are always caught in the loss column with overpriced, terrible channels and nothing to replace the garbage they make us pay for with no refund or replacement. DISH doesn’t care about their customer base, nor do any of the cable providers. ROKU and NETFLIX are coming for you and hopefully will soon provide better content. They’re already proven they can. Look at House of Cards and Orange in the New Black. Great programs, available anytime, and no commercial interruptions. Cable and DISH, eat some crow.

8. merlene   October 28, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Does DISH plan on a refund or a partial discount of our monthly fee now that we poor subscribers aren’t getting WHAT WE PAY FOR? We are seniors who don’t watch streaming anything, we just want to turn on the TV and go to a channel we like….

• DLC   October 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I called DISH and they gave me $5 off my monthly bill for 6 mons. WOW, not so much !! I would rather have the Channels than the discount but I guess something is better than nothing.

• David Randall   October 28, 2014 at 8:02 pm

I called as well, and as a 24yr. veteran subscriber stating (without hostility) that I was merely calling to formally register my disappointment and desire for a quick resolution, I was first pressed (almost ‘used car lot’ style) that what I really had been missing out on and should now leap to add onto my viewing fare was the Encore channel package, and soon I’d be saying “T-C-Who?”. My response was a firm, yet still polite “Yes, I’m familiar with the basic formatting of Encore, and while I’ve nothing against it, I am not in the least contemplating making any increases to my plan right now when I’m less than sure I’ll even still be here in a month. This gave rise to the compensation offer, except mine began at $5 off for the next 3 months. I suppose had I continued the debate it might have went to 6 months, but instead I couldn’t help but turn the offer down just on it’s irony alone, reminding them this wasn’t especially tempting to someone who’s looking for some signs of decisive effort towards working this out or will soon be looking for service elsewhere. If the next 3 months were free, and TCM was guaranteed to return in 90 days, yes, I’d stay, but I’d be watching TCM on a second, competitor’s service for the duration. The more I research this whole sad affair I get further convinced this isn’t ‘Turner Contract Manipulations’ but ‘Dangling In Satellite Hell’.

• Ardell from Pennsylvania   November 9, 2014 at 11:28 am

I am a 71 year old widow and really miss TCM. Never thought I would see the day when I would pay $98 to watch the trash they have on TV. TCM took me back in time, I loved watching all the great movies with wonderful actors that we will never see again. Very sad to see this channel go. Please bring it back.

9. LaWanda   October 28, 2014 at 10:19 am

I never watch Cnn or any of the turner channels. They’re the fools that counted their chickens before they hatched. They want the rest of us to pay for there bad business choices. Good riddance:)

10. DLC   October 28, 2014 at 10:10 am

We went thru the whole “Fox Sports HD” thing which was never resolved so I still cannot see my Fox Sports channels in HD. Ok so wah wah, but seems like every time I turn around now there is another dispute and one on the horizon. I just want to receive the channels (and HD) that I am PAYING for…don’t think that’s too much to ask for and if this thing is not ironed out soon, i am definitely going with DIRECTV !!!

• NinjaDogma   October 28, 2014 at 11:21 am

Once you make your switch to DirecTV you can expect them to be next on the extortion list. A little history lesson, these networks started up and thrived with a healthy revenue base from advertisers. Then around 2002 they decided to start charging access fees, which were previously reserved for subscription channels like HBO and were commercial free. So I don’t know who you and I can thank for that, but whichever provider agreed to pay an access fee in 2002 opened up the flood gates for the practice to expand and continue and we are now paying to watch commercials. Think about it.

Also, Dish didn’t remove the Turner channels, Turner pulled the plug to force Dish’s hand. Although I wish they wouldn’t, Dish will cave, and prices will go up again until we the consumers make a stand and say we’ve had enough.