GamerGate Exposed: A Peek Inside and How I Went Native

GamerGate

It was not terribly long ago that I, in the pursuit of new online stomping grounds to glean newsworthy interests from, stumbled into the metaphorical internet refugee camp of GamerGate. My original intent was something raconteurish, along the traditional path of muckraking; that I was tasking myself with advocating for the popularly-perceived Devil by means of doing a story which would buck the trend of branding the pro-GamerGate camp as misogynist prior to fair consideration. I had flattered myself to think of that perspective as being unique, mostly due to how few and small the sympathetic voices were.

I can tell you, with all the integrity and credibility due to my name, that theirs was the most orderly and polite refugee camp I had ever witnessed belonging to a group of people marginalized by public media. The GamerGate crowd that I have been in contact with are not your run-of-the-mill angry young people hurling the verbal equivalent of Molotov Cocktails. They are a group of people who are deeply troubled by their misrepresentation to the public, and to the “Social Justice” astro-turfing that accompanies every near-breakthrough they have had that might have lead to a fairer shake in the media.

One of the most stunning experiences I have had so far, while keeping in contact with the community after the publication of my first story on them, has been to discover that GamerGate feminists are real. Despite what a person would assume after being constantly bombarded with the narrative of their misogyny, do-it-yourself feminism is an everyday aspect of the movement. The only condition to that statement is that the feminism which GamerGate represents is the type that becomes offended at the suggestion that women need help to achieve what a man can. It is the type of feminism that believes in promotion by merit, not quota, and where the women are themselves individually powerful enough not to require leadership to assist in determining what they are allowed to think or say.

That goes back to the cumulative character of the people who make up GamerGate. It would have been easy for any of them to eschew the label and enjoy the comfort of being a less persecuted human being. Instead, the character of the average gamer-turned-media-activist tends to be such that they stand directly in the line of fire, knowing that the temptation to disassociate from the movement is the primary means through which a corrupt confederation of clickbait media institutions and Social Justice charlatans intend to dismantle it.

That is how I went native; by becoming convinced that these people represent the highest ethical standard, and through watching them put their personal reputations in harms’ way on principle. For evidence towards the veracity of my words, a person needs only to observe the GamerGate hashtag and take notice when something horrible or abusive is said. Then, if they were so inclined, they should take the next logical step and view the full profile of the guilty account. While there, enjoy some of the screenshots and reference links. For a person to invest heavily into the narrative of either side of this ongoing controversy, it has to mean something to them. It has to touch on something that they find important to their ideals. I know that it does for me, and I can state quite simply what that intersection is. I care, first and foremost and above all else, to know the truth of things.

Blog by Brian Whittemore

Forbes

Photo by Kyle Nishioka WikiMedia License

74 Responses to "GamerGate Exposed: A Peek Inside and How I Went Native"

1. SWulf2817   November 20, 2014 at 12:42 am

Thank you, just thank you.

2. Adam J   November 16, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Unfortunately, I can’t share your opinion that GamerGaters “represent the highest ethical standard”. I am absolutely convinced that there are many in GamerGate who do, and wish to see games journalism lifted to the highest standards that journalism can aspire to. But a scan of twitter feeds from those in GamerGate, reading the main forums such as KiA at Reddit and /gg/ at 8chan, or looking at sites such as therealphretort makes it clear that these standards are not shared by all, and when they fall from them they fall a very long way. Similarly, I’m not convinced that all those opposing them also have the high standards that we’d all love to see – as always, the behaviour from all sides is a mix of good and bad.

• Dustin Geels   November 27, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Here’s the thing we’re not journalists we don’t need to hold ourselves to the standards of journalism. We are consumers we have no expected standards to uphold

• Adam J   November 27, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Brian Whittemore’s argument was that GamerGater’s represent the highest ethical standard. Whether or not you should, Whittemore is mistaken.

3. Dr. Wu   November 16, 2014 at 7:58 am

Prepare to be libeled in mainstream media outlets such as the BBC, the Guardian, the CBC and The New York Times–all of which, with the acquiescence of incurious editors, have run hit pieces advancing narrative that GamerGate is anti-feminist.

4. jamie rees   November 16, 2014 at 7:56 am

Gamergate at it’s most purest and ethical I believe actually about accountability in gaming journalism. I have no doubt there are people like those Brian Whittemore met who actually want to change gaming and the journalism reporting on it for the better. But lets find the truth on both sides of the debates, too try and find a way to bridge this gap.

Don’t let vocal minorities dictate the agenda, put aside labelling each other’s movements as misogynists and sexist pigs on one side and feminazi’s and social justice warriors on the other. If this is truly about ethics and accountability, put the name calling aside and work to actually get to the truth of this matter and hopefully find a solution.

5. Robert Smith   November 15, 2014 at 3:36 pm

People need to denounce The SJW cancer No cure in sight BTW but, Articles are big help

6. John Cobalt   November 15, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Haha, tomorrow you will be labeled a white cis male basement-dwelling neo-reactionary misogynist and member of ISIS. Welcome to GamerGate.

7. apollyon911   November 15, 2014 at 6:16 am

Yes. Perhaps the SJW’s can force Mr. Whittemore to resign in disgrace. Either that or force a humiliating apology…

8. BioFalser   November 15, 2014 at 4:31 am

It took guts to write this. You’re an Official Enemy now, too.

9. John C Wright   November 14, 2014 at 11:39 pm

PS, I also used to be a journalist and an editor. I have been more than disgusted, I have been appalled at the lack of ethics in the last two decades in journalism. You are literally the first journalist I have encountered in all that time doing his due diligence in a professional fashion, and speaking the truth. I salute you.

10. Conor (@RanGa996)   November 14, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Thank you for your time and consideration. ^.^
    It’s refreshing to here from someone willing to spend more than 5 minutes on their work