Stem Cell from Umbilical Cord Blood to Treat Autism?

Stem Cell from Umbilical Cord Blood to Treat Autism

FDA recently approved a trial to enable researchers to determine whether stem cells obtained from umbilical cord blood at birth can cure autism. The trial’s goal is to evaluate whether stem cell’s therapy has any effect on language and behavioral difficulties experienced by autistic children. The rationale to pursue this trial was linked to the encouraging results of unpublished data examining the potential of stem cell therapy in children with cerebral palsy.

While stem cell therapy has been previously used to treat immunologic disorders, cancer, and Parkinson’s disease, autism has been the area of recent scientific interests because of some encouraging results.

Autism is a pervasive and highly variable neurodevelopmental disorder that affects the information processing in the brain by altering how nerve cells and neurons organize and connect. About nine in 1,000 children in the US are diagnosed with ASD (autism-spectrum disorders). Half of individuals with autism does not develop enough natural speech to meet their communication needs.

There is an ongoing research in Europe, which evaluates stem cell’s therapy for autism, but this trial is the first to use the child’s umbilical cord blood as the source of stem cell. Thirty children will participate in this placebo-controlled trial organized by Cord Blood Registry.

The hallmark feature of ASD is impaired social interaction and focus only to one item for long periods of time. While the child with autism may have normal development, it may ultimately withdraw and become indifferent to friendly engagement. They fail to respond to their names and avoid eye contact with other people. Their difficulty in interpreting facial expressions or tone of voice is indicative of their lack of understanding of social cues.

Since the 1980s, the number of people with autism has dramatically increased because of the changes in diagnostic practices. The complexity of the genetics of autism has a strong genetic basis, but it is unclear whether it is caused by rare mutations or combinations of common genetic variants.

Stem cell treatment for autism targets the areas of the brain regulating attention, concentration and speech. It is a novel approach based on the stem cell’s ability to improve blood and oxygen flow to the brain, stimulates the formation of new arteries, and replaces damaged neurons.

According to the CDC data, 1 in 88 children are diagnosed with autism. The cause was presumed to be multifactorial and signs are noted in early childhood related abnormalities in language, behavior, and social development. The goal of this research is to establish the role of stem cell therapy in autism spectrum disorder. Although it could be years before preliminary results to be available, scientists are taking mammoth steps to determine whether stem cell from umbilical cord blood can help treat autism.

Written by: Janet Grace Ortigas

11 Responses to "Stem Cell from Umbilical Cord Blood to Treat Autism?"

1. Balram Ramlakhan   March 18, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Hello Sarah I have a grandson who will turn 15 this July. I am exploring the possibility of stem cell treatment for him. He is autistic with slow development.

Can you please provide me with information regarding treatment.

My email is balram@flowtrinidad.net.

Thanks

2. Sarah Collins   February 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I’m so sorry I didn’t reply to some of you!! I thought I would receive a notification or something that you were trying to reach me. I must not have clicked the boxes. We completed round two and we are going for number three soon. Still seeing awesome results!! Go to my FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stem-Cell-Therapy-for-Autism-Ethans-Journey/452552584824517

3. NK   November 19, 2013 at 8:19 am

Hi Sarah,
    I have a 8 year old son with severe ASD. He had one stem cell treatment in 2012 which didn’t make any difference. His own stem cells derived from the adipose tissue were injected back into him. We were very hopeful with this treatment but all our hopes are lost. His behavior has actually worsened since the treatment.
    I’m currently exploring cordblood stem cell treatment for my son. I would really appreciate if you could share the information you have about various stem cell treatment options available for my son in and around USA. Please email me when you can at bnak@hotmail.com

Thank you so much in advance.

4. Soyoloo   October 28, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Hi,Sarah.
    My son is autistic.
    I need more information about cord blood treatment. My e-mail add is soko_googoo@yahoo.com
    I would so appreciate it.
    Thank you.

5. Sarah   September 19, 2013 at 6:24 pm

As a parent in the middle of stem cell treatments for my son, I too can say, “Do your homework.” I started by writing down all the clinics I could find in the world and documented what type of cells they used, where they came from, how many cells were going to be given and the cost. I scratched out any clinics that used embryonic cells. Then I looked at what clinics actually give you for the amount of money you are willing to spend. What is also interesting is that in the United States clinics may not expand cells outside the body. They can give you a stimulation drug and then collect from marrow or fat…and then give a reinjection into the body. In other countries, you can use donated cord blood cells that are expanded and then put into the body. Some also do the stimulation method too.
    My son is 9 and has ASD. He is high functioning. He is responding very well to stem cell treatments and we are so pleased that we are going for round 2.
    I firmly believe in stem cell therapy to treat Autism.

• vanessa   October 1, 2013 at 5:46 am

hello Sarah, thank you for your encouragement. I too have been researching many clinics world wide. if you could email me on sseoud@tpg.com.au I would so appreciate it. thank you kindly

• Nelly   October 23, 2013 at 12:24 am

Hi Sarah, I am really encouraged by your post. I am looking for a way to help my son and i have been researching for clinics with no help. If you could email me at loislouis78@yahoo.com about the clinics and details it would be much appreciated. Thank you for your anticipated help.

• Jimmy Tjokrosaputro   November 25, 2013 at 5:39 am

Hi Sarah, I am very interested with your post. Likewise, please e-mail me on jimmy.tjokrosaputro@gmail.com about the clinic you have been going to. Thank you so much.

• Nadia Guerra   December 29, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Hi…my son is 6 and we see Dr Krigsman for hi issues. But we r ready to jump to the next level…stem cell therapy.Please share with me the name of your doctor…Thank you so much. Nadia Z

• Nadia Guerra   December 29, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Gi issues

6. Antoinette Ritacco   August 22, 2013 at 11:21 am

Getting down to the root of diseases is the ethical and correct way to cure any disease. Unfortunately, because of greed, pharmaceudicals in accordance with our corrupt governments and the FDA, which is totally controlled by BIG PHARMA are pushing out more drugs with horrific side effects, which are causing more havoc than the disease itself.
    I truly believe that Stem Cell Therapy and Gene CORRECTION is the way to go, but please don’t have studies and trials that take years to complete.There are many people who would be more than willing to try Stem Cell or Gene Therapy because they have nothing to lose, and possibly something to gain.
    We always hear of possible cures, but then hear that they are many years away.
    Stop trials with pharmaceudicals and be ethical and honest.
    We are patiently waiting, but a lot of us don’t have much time.

Thank-you,