Eating Smart – Autism Cured Through Gluten-Dairy-Free Diet

autism cured by gluten-dairy free diet
Maybe you know someone who has been diagnosed with autism. Perhaps it is your neighbor, your nephew or even your own child. Those living day to day with individuals experiencing autistic symptoms are often faced with difficult challenges in communication and the basics, which the rest of the population would describe as “normal living.” Many parents and advocates of autism have shown links between the administration of vaccinations and the on-set of autism, despite denial from the medical community. A recent story surfacing on-line is one of many cases where a child with autism has been nearly completely cured through eating smarter – like introducing a gluten and dairy free diet.

Those with autism often experience a big delay in what is termed “regular learning” including basic speech and communication skills. These children and adults may not be able to show empathy for others, have eye to eye contact or share any kind of social interactions where most individuals tend to. Now some might say these symptoms sound like the making of an introverted genius or creative type. In some instances, this is most assuredly so, though for parents of diagnosed autistic kids, the day to day experiences and processes can be more than challenging to the point of leading the parents to look for any alternative possible in order to relieve them of constant stress. This was true for the parents of Ethan Fox.

Ethan’s parents stumbled onto the writings of a Dr. Kenneth Bock, author of Healing The New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies, specializing in autistic cases.  Upon his advice, Ethan’s mom and dad started implementing a diet that was free of gluten and dairy products.  To their delight and surprise, Ethan’s symptoms started to go away immediately and he began to exhibit signs of being “just a normal kid.”  The first sign was sleeping regularly after a huge spell of not sleeping.  According to statistics quoted in Dr. Bock’s book and other sources, autistic children can be relieved of their symptoms with these simple changes in diet in 60% of cases.

Many do not buy into the idea that vaccines can cause autism.  This is clear based on the fact that all school systems still mandate vaccines as part of the regular admissions process.  Mainstream media and the medical community have gone out of their way to debunk the idea that vaccines could cause such a devastating illness, though advocates and parents of autistic children continue to press the issue.  It cannot be denied, when looking at statistics, that the numbers of autistic children definitely rose with the increased mandate of vaccinations.  In fact, the numbers rose from 1 in every 2500 kids before 1991 to 1 in only 91 children today.  That is a huge increase – 2700% to be exact.

Ethan Fox is a perfect example of taking an alternative path, listening to the voice of concerned parents and benefiting greatly from doing so.  Those who are against the idea of autism as a result of vaccinations are obviously not parents of autistic children.  When you are a parent, you will not leave any stone uncovered, even if that means implicating what was previously a trustworthy practice to you.  Most parents who now lobby against vaccines and educate people about the dangers of vaccinations were once believers in them.  It generally takes a personally devastating experience with something in order to turn you to the other side, as many have done with vaccines.  Here is the story of Ethan Fox as reported by Fox News:

Do you know someone with autism? Is it your own child? Perhaps this information could benefit you or someone you know. There is never harm in exploring dietary changes as a pathway to possible healing. For Ethan Fox, who suffered from autism since 18 months, he has been apparently cured for the most part through a gluten and dairy-free diet.

Written by: Stasia Bliss

(op-ed)

Source 1
Source 2
Source 3

6 Responses to "Eating Smart – Autism Cured Through Gluten-Dairy-Free Diet"

1. alfa   February 1, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Thank you Stasia for lighting the way…The GF/CF diet did work for my four year old and his behavior and awareness is almost normal and I even lost 20 pounds. I purchase all my pasta made from brown rice and quinoa, GF oat meal, we also use GF pancake flour mix, almond milk, we also do not use eggs. I cook a variety of beans, lentils, and root vegetables, and rice.
    I’m a great cook and I make everything taste wonderful even if is a boiled rock.
    Honestly these are powerful healing foods that one must learn to use, healing doesn’t happen over night it takes love, patience, blind faith, and lots of three drops here three drops there of Black Walnut Extract! Then again this is my personal journey and not only did I rely on external information, but I also searched inside myself for information and I asked my spiritual guide to guide me all the way.

For the fats:
    red palm oil-it does help with the mental clairty
    extra virgin coconut oi

nigella seeds

For the herbs
    garlic
    ginger
    CILANTRO

2. Polly Petraetis   October 3, 2013 at 5:38 am

This article offends me as an ASD parent. Please be responsible when speaking to this community. We do the GfCf diet and I can tell you nobody has been “cured” of anything. We remain on it because we have found it to be healthier for our family, but, as happy as I am that it can improve the lives of some of these kids, to quote a 60 percent rate of success is downright irresponsible and misleading.

3. Heather   September 16, 2013 at 9:17 pm

There is scientific evidence proving that vaccines cause autism, they just ate not in the US. Europe has done more studies and have banned certain vaccines for that reason. Don’t just blindly fallow America’s medical industry. It is deeply flawed and made to make us abs keep us sick for profit.

4. nramage13   September 10, 2013 at 11:49 am

Really?? “Those who are against the idea of autism as a result of vaccinations are obviously not parents of autistic children??” You’re a moron. I have a 3 year old autistic son, and I delayed his vaccines because I wanted to make sure that there weren’t any adverse side effects. In most all cases, most people with autistic children know well before the time testing begins (at the age of 2 at the earliest) that their child is on the spectrum. My son never (and still doesn’t) sleep through the night. ALL his milestones were delayed. He had no fine motor function until he was 18 months old and even still it’s shaky. He didn’t play in typical ways from the time he was 4 months old. I tried the GFCF diet with my son for over a year. IT SUCKS. It’s hard and even in most gluten free products there is dairy or vise versa. It does help some but it’s not a cure for everyone. To presume that the GFCF diet is a cure all for autism or that vaccines, that have been tested, and tested, and tested thousands of times over and have never– not in a single case– been scientifically proven to cause autism makes you an idiot. Get your facts straight and actually talk to some autistic people, parents of autistic children, medical doctors, and scientists before you go spouting your dangerous opinions.

• Stasia Bliss   September 10, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I would like to directly respond to your comment by saying that I in no way made any general statements as to everyone being cured by this diet – that it was the experience of this boy and some others who have tried it. It is an option, which you have obviously tried and it didn’t work for your child. I hear you. I know many parents and families with autistic children, as well as physicians both in the medical and alternative community, including parents who have lost kids after vaccines. Gluten-free and dairy free is not always the cure, but it doesn’t have to be difficult either. The fact that it sucked for you was your experience only. It doesn’t mean the plan is bunk. There are a lot of great alternatives out there today for avoiding gluten and dairy. Again, that doesn’t mean it is right for you. I appreciate you speaking out, but don’t think it is necessary to call names, since you don’t actually know me. Just because you disagree with the statements I made doesn’t make me an idiot – it just means we differ in opinions. The quote that you responded to was meant to point out all the many people who think vaccines are so important, yet have never experienced the negative results that can occur. You have done what you have done with as much love and attention as possible, of that I am sure. It must be extremely frustrating to be in your position and I truly, with all of my heart wish the most success and blessings to you and your family for positive answers that work. This piece was meant to help those it might, and to share Ethan’s story. Not to berate or judge you. Blessings sister.

• Colin Robinson   September 24, 2013 at 7:05 am

I agree. This type of un- researched anecdote filled piece just causes people who need real evidence based information to be confused and directed into the hands of quacks and frauds peddling nonsense.