Black Friday has had some worst clashes. The day after Thanksgiving brings out the dark side of human nature. This year, thus far, is reportedly mild compared with previous years but that doesn’t mean there is any less shoving and fighting and screaming.
Feel like reminiscing about past worst Black Friday clashes? Sit back with a cup of joe or tea. And shop online where there are terrific deals just like at the major retailers. There’s no need to venture anywhere on Black Friday when shopping online is where it’s at.
- In November 2012, at a Sacramento mall, a fight broke out in front of a Victoria’s Secret store between two women—over a pair of panties. Their men got involved and of course, there were fists flying and one man had his head stomped on repeatedly. Security took their sweet time, showing up 15 minutes later.
- The year 2008 will live in infamy in Wal-Mart’s history. An overnight clerk, Jdimytai Damour, 34, was trampled to death after impatient customers couldn’t wait for the store to open at 5 a.m., smashing the doors open and sending more than 200 people rushing through. About 2,000 people had been waiting outside for the Long Island Wal-Mart store opening. Damour died an hour later in a hospital. Four others were injured, including an eight months’ pregnant woman who later miscarried.
- In 2011, at a Los Angeles Wal-Mart, a woman had pepper spray on her person. When a bunch of people started making a mad rush for the deeply discounted Xbox, the woman took out her pepper spray and sprayed about 20 people around her. She escaped with her coveted purchase but the others were treated on the scene. (The woman later turned herself in, apparently after it was announced in the media that she was being sought.)
- At a Virginia Target store in 2011, Walter Vance, 61, was ignored and stepped over after he collapsed on the floor. He was among the Black Friday shoppers. Vance’s wife said a few nurses came to her husband’s aid but they were too late.
- In 2008, at a Palm Desert Toys ‘R’ Us, two male customers got into a gunfight after their female partners started fighting at the checkout counter. While customers scurried to safety, both men shot at each other until they both died. The mens’ fight was reportedly not related to Black Friday but their female partners’ fight. No one else was injured.
Had your fill yet? Want an antidote to fight off the horror of the worst Black Friday clashes? Here’s one that is sure to warm the cockles of your heart.
- On Black Friday 2008, a woman was dropped off by her mother at a large retail store. It was late and raining, and the young lady saw a man standing there, wearing a hoodie. She thought he was homeless. They started talking and she learned he was a college student. A couple of years later, he proposed to the young lady.
Now that’s a perfect example of “Don’t judge a book by its cover.”
By Juana Poareo