Jahi McMath Case Has Alarming New Details

Jahi McMath Case Has Alarming New Details

Health specialists, who have been watching the Jahi McMath case, have released alarming new details about the teen’s situation this past week. They stated that it is just a matter of time before the life support, which now is the only reason that her heart is beating, will no longer be able to continue to allow her body to appear as if it has any life in it. There in no brain function to help aid her body, so it is likely the beat of her heart will stop soon. If that occurs in days, weeks or months, no one can say. However, it seems that will be the one event which will define when Jahi actually died.

McMath, age 13, came to be in her present condition after she had a medical procedure to take out her tonsils. The young teen became the center of debate over patients’ rights, and of families and caregivers in relation to the death of a person. Jahi McMath was declared deceased by the doctors at Children’s Hospital in California back on Dec. 12, 2013. She even has had a death certificate issued from the Los Angeles County coroner’s office. However, Jahi’s family continues to insist the girl is still alive, no matter what evidence is placed in front of them.

Once termination of all brain activity has been confirmed, there is no recovery, stated Rebecca S. Dresser, who is a professor of law and ethics at Washington University, which is located in St Louis, Missouri.

Dresser was one of the members of a presidential council, which was held in 2008 that went on to reaffirm the term “whole brain death” as being considered legal death. Even though a federal magistrate agreed with the doctors’ findings that McMath was deceased, the judge gave the teen’s family a temporary sanction allowing her to stay on the life support systems until more rulings could be completed. The judge then surprised everyone and went ahead and ruled that Jahi could be released out of the hospital and placed in the care of her mother but not before she was released to the coroner.

McMath was taken out of Children’s Hospital and moved to a private location to receive further care and treatment. Doctors have said that brain cells start dying due to the lack of any flowing blood. The brain starts to break down and turn to liquid. The other body organs also start deteriorating as the circulatory system begins to deliver less and less blood flow to these parts.

The young teen’s present condition has been described as severe and even though she is being given fluids and minerals, she is suffering from a condition that stops a feeding tube from being inserted. Numerous medical authorities believe that McMath’s body may have deteriorated to the point that any attempt to introduce nutrients into her body other than intravenously will result in aspiration—a very serious complication.

The family of McMath is struggling to come to terms with the very real loss of their young daughter, so hard in fact that they refuse to face the facts. Coming from someone who has lost someone she loves to brain death, there is a time when a family must give up the fight and let the shell that once held the loved one go. The public has mixed feelings toward the family. One on hand, some want to condemn them for their refusal in letting go. Others think they are to be commending for showing they have a strong faith in higher power and are waiting for him to heal the child. These people will never heal as long as this continues.

They have chosen to ignore what the health specialists have said about Jahi, and they refuse to pay attention to the new details about the teen’s situation.

By Kimberly Ruble

The Huffington Post

All Voices News

CNN

118 Responses to "Jahi McMath Case Has Alarming New Details"

1. Dan Hammack   April 5, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Brain death is absolutely not a coma. Do some reading and educate yourself before posting such an ignorant comment.

2. mn   February 26, 2014 at 10:02 am

Brain death is actually, a coma, not true death, that is why people do come out of it. Jahi is a young 13 year old girl in a coma,now that she is being feed and given medical treatment, she has a chance of recovering.

3. Steve Williams   February 1, 2014 at 4:18 am

Not burying Jahi’s corpse is creating a biohazard. That’s why they have those red boxes in doctors’ offices to dispose of used needles. If they threw them in the garbage, anyone who touched it would be at risk of contracting a disease. That’s why we bag up our garbage and send it to a landfill. As food rots, it attracts insects and vermin. They carry disease. That’s why we cremate or bury our dead. As the body decays, it becomes a host for bacteria. Pumping antibiotics into it makes those bacteria resistant to drugs. The fools who are handling this body are putting themselves at risk for infections that no medicine will cure–and then passing it on to the rest of the population. No, they aren’t hurting Jahi. They are, however, creating a public health menace. It’s disrespectful to Jahi, disgusting, and setting a poor precedent when families are allowed to do with corpses as they wish.

4. C. Moores   January 30, 2014 at 7:01 pm

does she have a pseudo cholinesterase deficiency / if so maybe she will recover

5. Bill McCarthy   January 25, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I believe she has a death certificate from Alameda County, where Children;s Hospital Oakland is located. LA County is several hundred miles to the south. A small detail, I know, but a rather important one.

6. how tall   January 24, 2014 at 7:21 pm

The difference is that Schiavo was breathing on her own and in a persistent vegetative state – NOT brain dead (or, as it is also known – dead.)
    This has absolutely nothing to do with race – perhaps you should consider your own racism.

7. Ella C.   January 20, 2014 at 9:23 pm

What i find to be most insulting are the comments that the family is just after money?
    I haven’t read or heard anything indicating that the family was determined to sue for any damages, but if they do?! They would be within their rights. **I find all the damning comments about a lawsuit “racist” as if black life means little. And all blacks want is a way to get paid. “Others” sue all the time and nothing negative is said about it. In a case like this, non blacks, would be encouraged to sue. I think the families decisions have been incorrect, but I do not question their love for jahi. May god bless and heal that family.

8. Ella C.   January 20, 2014 at 9:07 pm

People need to stop trying to force gods hand! Stop trying to “make him do miracles”
    Many are denied available medical treatment and die needlessly, because god must confirm someone’s faith. This is such a case, only now the lord must perform an resurrection. Jahi has long ago awaken, and is in gods presense and care. Her poor family needs to “awaken!” Not jahi, its already done.

**Believers need to cease, trying to twist gods arm. Except his sovereign will.

9. Maggy8   January 18, 2014 at 10:37 am

Just looked at these fund me web site a few minutes ago. People still donating…not joke…still donating.

• Maggy8   January 18, 2014 at 10:39 am

Stupid auto correct!

• Sadie2013   January 18, 2014 at 5:07 pm

I saw that too, how can people still donate when they can’t even get a picture to prove she’s still wherever they say she is. And they won’t even give an update on her. Makes me feel like they are still taking the donations but don’t want to tell anyone anything…it’s just to get more publicity.

10. ps   January 15, 2014 at 2:08 pm

They are keeping her “alive” because “loss of consortium” claim will be tiny. It is sad that malpractice laws have pushed a family to this. One day you may have to walk in their shoes and will understand. It goes something like 50k if she is dead but 1-2 million if she is “alive”. If you are angry at the hospital, which do you want to get hospital to change procedural practice. More likely they wanted-even “helped” her be dead to limit their loss. You will never know how nasty some hospitals are. Be vigilant if any family member of yours ends up in a hospital.

• Sadie2013   January 15, 2014 at 7:20 pm

well I don’t know about you or anyone else but I have enough common sence about me to know when they say BRAIN DEAD that means BRAIN DEAD. no waking up no moving no anything. I for one wouldn’t wanna watch my childs fingers and toes falling off just for some stinking money. I cannot believe anyone could do such a thing. But this world is full of ignorant people. Looks like a money hungry bunch to me now. I cant believe this S***. I just don’t have sympathy for anyone who can use their dead child for money gains. ITS DISGUSTING TO THE MAX. I would rather live under a bridge without anything as to put on of my children thru what little JAHI has been put thru.

11. Gail Brown   January 15, 2014 at 8:13 am

While! I am sorter lost of words, butt not hope and prayer for the family to friends and nation. Jesus you the only one, whom know that child start to finish I pray you give the parents a more definition vision are sign, that will be a light of direction confirmation for they healing mentally physically and emotionally for whatever the out come is father God its through a dream are a vision from the child spirit that lives on no matter with the child fate is my God my soul to heart cries out, but I still have to go on through the strength

that dwell in they inner spirit the comforter the holy spirit of the living God that within us whoo! my God of the heavens I pray for Jahi mother and father inner spirit that has more wisdom to understanding and knowledge than the flesh to carnal thinking that more. I just pray for they spiritual strength and power that can heal them inside out the more so they trust in father God and our beloved savior in let go and let go hear his voice to inner desire in Jesus name I pray!

12. Sadie2013   January 14, 2014 at 7:07 pm

OMG…has anyone looked on the website called opionatedgoddess.blogspot.com/ I can’t tell for sure but look at Jahi’s hand. it just don’t look right. then theres one on media.nbcbayarea.com/images/654*369/hands8.jpg. the hand on the opinionatedgoddess site looks so old and the one on the other is young. Could that be their “alarming new details” Can’t they see that and realize what is happening?

• Peace for Jahi's family! eh forget that lol   January 15, 2014 at 12:51 am

Yes I saw that too, and now the refrain is gearing up to shout “Jahi would still be alive if only she’d had enough NUTRITION!!1!”

Dear Lord, I am back to noticing how money hungry these people are, only wanting to profit from a dead relative. The writers at Guardianlv.com are clearly lacking in the basic logic department, because er, isn’t it obvious to the rest of us that even “starving” people would still have brain activity?

If she’s still “alive” then show us a picture of that fresh glowing complexion.

• Sadie2013   January 15, 2014 at 7:44 am

I was really wanting this little girl to wake up , don’t get me wrong I know god can work miracles , but, after looking at those pictures……..I think he has a plan for her. And that woman needs some serious schooling in how to except things when they don’t go her way. This is called corpse abuse. WHY don’t someone with a higher authority step in and do something. I have noticed how the uncle is on there all the time and to me he acts like he’s running the show, Where’s this child’s father? Don’t he have a say in what happens to her can’t he put a stop to this? And I’ve not seen the step father with her too much just the uncle. What does he have to gain? I think that when its all done with and IF the mother gets a big settlement she will get it all and uncle will get zilch and then they will be fighting. Yeah, it’s not about Little Jahi anymore. It’s all about MONEY. And when or if someone does stop this people need to leave color out of it. It’s not got a thing to do with it. This should be about that little girl and not the momma, uncle, lawyer and so on. But, money is the root of ALL evil. I’m glad I only have what the good lord has blessed me with. But there really should be a closure for this precious little girl. Lay her to Rest and let her soar with the Angels. She is far better off than we are.

13. DL   January 14, 2014 at 5:57 am

The parents are only getting their way because the law in different states vary.State law differs in what constitutes legally dead.The judge would have been obstructing their civil rights,had he concluded differently.

• Maxine's Daughter   January 15, 2014 at 7:31 am

well, you are HALF right. Uniform Death Code or whatever is law in all 50 states. what people are allowed to do with dead bodies is entirely another. I think Grillo has totally LOST it and if I lived in Cali, I’d make sure he was removed.

14. Rebecca Field   January 14, 2014 at 3:28 am

The family knows she is dead. They are grifters, plain and simple. If they admit she is dead their donations sites won’t bring anything in. Call me racist ( I’m not) I don’t care, but walks, talks, ….ehhhh

• Zanisha Brown   January 14, 2014 at 6:40 am

I do think that the motivation at this point is monetary, but no….it’s not because they are black. It’s a sad situation, and I wish that they would let this child’s body rest, because her soul has already gone to a better place over a month ago.

15. Girl In Kansas   January 14, 2014 at 2:46 am

Has anybody noticed that Jahi was both heavier and shorter than her 8yr old sister. At 13yrs of age, Jahi should have grown. I suggest there were significant other problems, including problems either with her pituitary gland and or her thyroid gland. That Catholic pediatrician that they consulted who said she was still alive “or her lungs couldn’t push out the air” stated that Jahi needed corrective surgery to both glands. Her mother said that she went into the surgery “with no health problems”, but every time I’ve had surgery its because I had a health problem. I cannot decide if the family is stupid or stupid.

16. Girl In Kansas   January 14, 2014 at 2:36 am

I thought about this, and almost certainly the family is going to sue Children’s Hospital for negligence or malpractice in the “death” of Jahi. But how can the family make this argument when they fundamentally believe that she is still alive? I read a beautiful article by a lady that had a sick kid who was treated at Children’s Hospital of Oakland and it brought tears to my eyes just the level of care that they give their patients. The saddest thing is that Jahi’s spirit COULD HAVE lived on through organ donation but that’s obviously out of the question now. I cannot believe the court released the body to the family….what’s going on is abuse of a corpse…and of course they are going to try to sue Children’s Hospital to pay for her “care”, which means Children’s has to spend mo ey on attorneys that could be going to sick kids.

• dc.CCRN.   January 14, 2014 at 5:03 pm

There doesn’t seem to be grounds for a lawsuit against the hospital. I’m sure the family will try, money talks. But you sign waivers prior to any surgery.

• Maxine's Daughter   January 15, 2014 at 7:32 am

well, I think completely disregarding post op orders, and taking on physical care yourself might negate the “warranty” on the operation.

17. Karen   January 13, 2014 at 11:37 pm

This poor kid. She extremely over weight. She had to have surgery to help with sleep apnea. It would helped her more if she was put on a diet. Her mom feels guilty for her weight and I am sure for other things. No wonder. She doesn’t want to let go yet. Rip Jahi

18. sunnydayze   January 13, 2014 at 8:24 pm

When I look at this beautiful little girl and that smile she has I don’t see color. Shes as much a human being as I am. She has/had feelings as we all do. I have looked at the pictures of her family and all I can see is love worry and pain. I have an opinion as we all do but, I’ll keep it to myself because I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. I know how it feels to loose someone you love. My brother died about 5 years ago at 32 yrs old and he made it clear that we were not to put him on life support. It was so hard to stand in the room with him knowing he was dying. We had words 2 weeks before he died and I never got the chance to talk to him and tell him I loved him. Everyone told me he wouldn’t make it but, I didn’t believe it. I took it very hard. I blamed myself and that is something I wouldn’t wish on anyone. There was so much left unsaid..I know what it’s like to want to hang on to someone you love. But, when they are no longer with us its better to let go and heal. Let them go where there is peace and rest. When I look at Jahi’s smile I imagine butterflies she just looks like sunshine to me. So beautiful. I am not against people that have a different skin color than me. I have family that are a different color but, that don’t bother me because they are human just like I am. I don’t think or look at the color side of it I look at whats in the HEART. And I Love them just the same as if they were of my race. I get up everyday and tell my husband “I gotta check on little Jahi. I don’t know people might think I’m crazy but I can’t help it. My heart goes out to this family. Jahi is on my mind all day.

• Kristin   January 14, 2014 at 9:42 am

That was a really thoughtful post. I know exactly how you feel, due to a similar loss – and I’ve been checking on Jahi a lot, too. I am fully aware of the reality of the situation, but I still do it. You’re not crazy. It’s a compelling, heartbreaking story.

• Sadie2013   January 14, 2014 at 5:09 pm

No matter what the news or Dr’s say, I still get up hoping shes alive.I’m afraid to say anything either way…..But, I’ll be honest every morning I get up to check on Jahi, hoping with all my heart that shes opened her eyes. But, unless God works a miracle and brings her out of this little Jahi will be going home. It’s all I can do to keep from crying. I just wish there was something I could do. All I can do is hope and pray. And in the end when all is said and done Jahi will be where she belongs. Be it with mother and dad, or in Heaven. God bless them and give them strength to endure.

19. LSW   January 13, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I am a firm believer that God can do anything but fail…I was once in the moms shoes….I didn’t and wouldn’t listen to what any doctor had to say ….it took time for me to realize that my son depending on life support would have no quality of life…any as a family we grieved and let him go…He precious soul was set free

20. bitingbarnfly   January 13, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Based on the fact that this girl has been dead for over a month, the parents do not have the right to keep a dead body in their possession. It is sordid, unholy and illegal. Not to mention the potential psychological damage to the other children.

• Ramblin2   January 13, 2014 at 7:29 pm

The mother and rest of the family have got a lot of acceptance and healing to do. I wish them all the best but even more so for Jahi. She’s been dragged along for everyone else’s sake than her own. No dignity in keeping her hooked up to a ventilator or have a feeding tube inserted when she’s already dead. Poor child.

• dc.CCRN.   January 14, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I’m wondering how long it will take for her body to begin obvious decay. I’m sure the body already emits a foul odor, they pile on blankets to keep a temp of 35, the vent pushes and pulls the air out of dead lungs, and now they’ve said her heart is only beating because they’re using another machine to make it beat.
        I initially felt sad for this family, but as this drags on, I no longer do. This family is extremely selfish. At this point I am disgusted and appalled by their actions. I agree with a previous comment about the probability that they’re most likely keeping her body hooked up to machines so they can cash in on donations. The new facility is shady as hell. They trached and PEGed a dead body…. apparently they’ll do anything to make a few bucks. The lawyer is a jerk, and I hope he feels bad about his role in this case until the day he dies. He should be ashamed of himself for offering the family a false hope that the child will recover. This child will not recover. There’s a difference between resuscitating somebody after a close brush with death and bringing somebody back from the dead. She has been dead for over a month, just because we have machines now that can simulate most organs, it doesn’t change the fact that she is dead. She doesn’t even have blood flow to her brain, and hasn’t for over a month!!!
        I like how the family now wants to lie low and focus on the childs body….. if they had any interest in making this about Jahi, they would not have made this public or turned it into the circus it has become. They could have easily fought with the hospital and the court behind closed doors. But that doesn’t line their greedy pockets with donations from people across the country who feel bad for them. One expert pointed out that insurance doesn’t pay for medical interventions on dead people, I hope the insurance doesn’t cover one penny past December 12, 2013. I really do hope this family suffers financially for this. Say what you will about me feeling that way, but I am a critical care nurse, I’ve seen things like this firsthand- it’s almost ALWAYS about money. My facility has actually had to go to court to challenge some families for guardianship of a patient. It’s terrible that things like that have to happen, but money motivates people to do terrible things to their sick/dying family members.
        *There was a previous comment inquiry about the childs health prior to the surgery, it is my understanding that she had several medical conditions before surgery. They actually had to remove her tonsil, adenoids, and uvula (the thing that dangles in the back of your throat). Clearly there’s more going on than the family will admit. Removing a persons uvula would put them at increased risk of choking for the remainder of their life, removing the uvula also removes a persons gag reflex, which is a pretty important reflex– something else pretty significant was wrong with her, aside from the obvious obesity. Poor girl. Jahi is the only person I feel bad for in this whole thing. Let her body shutdown. Lay her to rest.

• Maxine's Daughter   January 15, 2014 at 7:37 am

pooh you just cleared up something. it’s been a long time since A & P. could the post op big mac have stuck in her throat, and granny tried to suction it out to cover up? You’d think someone with an LVN license might know better, but I had to supervise this LPN that was dumber than a rock. She only had 6 patients MAX, but she would pour all her AM meds and stack them on the counter next to the snack fridge on the unit. Mind you, this was a circular arrangement with the totally open station in the middle. i am sure you get the picture fellow nurse.

21. dishydoodle   January 13, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Poor beautiful little girl, “she is suffering from a condition that stops a feeding tube from being inserted.” Um… yes, she is dead.

Sorry for the irreverent sarcasm. I’ve gone far beyond feeling compassion for her family. Now it is just a crazy circus they’ve created.

• Ramblin2   January 13, 2014 at 7:22 pm

I agree. The poor child has been dragged into this whole drama due to what her parents think is “best” for her. We don’t know all the details of what happened right after surgery. Jahi asked for a Popsicle. Whether she was given one or not, we don’t know. I read a report that she was bleeding so much and no staff was around that her family, grandma being a nurse at a different facility, may have suctioned Jahi. Who’s to say they didn’t contribute to Jahi’s condition? I wish they would let the little girl rest in peace. I hope the family finds their peace too.

22. Michelle   January 13, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Who is paying for all of this?

• Anne   January 13, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Are you paying for it!! These parents have the right to make decision for their child. Only God has the final answer

• Ramblin2   January 13, 2014 at 4:57 pm

What ever happened to “Let go and let God?”

• Tina   January 13, 2014 at 8:19 pm

We are paying for it inadvertently with increased health expenses. Neither Jah’s family nor insurance are paying for it. Since when do parents have a right to keep a dead person in their possession?

23. mypat623   January 13, 2014 at 3:35 pm

The people that bring race into this are right.. The family is getting their own way because they are black. They already marched in the streets. Imagine if the judge said “no” to them. Would there have been a riot? Who knows. This is just another example of the “entitlement mentality”. This mentality has only gotten worse in the past 5-6 years. I don’t really care if my statement “upsets” anyone. It is my opinion, and I am at least “entitled” to that still. The child needs a proper funeral and burial, not a politically correct macabre circus.

• Kathy Burke English   January 13, 2014 at 3:52 pm

I agree. And I also feel that the media, with the words, they use has made this worse.She is dead, she is not suffering, she is not in bad condition, her body is.

• Anne   January 13, 2014 at 4:59 pm

What do race have to do with this? It’s not your child not your concern. The only people that can call others entitled are the shady people that cause it”.. I’m just saying look in the mirror

• mrs2u   January 13, 2014 at 7:28 pm

I’m African American and i so agree just sad

• Melanie   January 14, 2014 at 1:38 am

MY family marched in the streets, too. In Texas. St. Luke’s was trying to pull life support from our sister, who was NOT brain dead. This is the Futile Care Law in Texas, and we are definitely on a slippery slope. It’s not about black or white, it’s about the organ transplant industry making OBSCENE amounts of money by declaring people brain dead and then talking the family into harvesting their organs. Go and educate yourself. And stop with the dehumanizing language about this little girl. This hospital called her a corpse. A corpse! And, yet, in Texas, right now, we have a pregant woman who is brain dead on life support until her child is born. She’s not treated this way, and neither should Jahi be talked about in that manner. Shame on you.

• Maxine's Daughter   January 14, 2014 at 3:41 am

you are woefully ignorant about the facts of organ donation. people do no PAY for organs like one can in other places around the world. Not here Not at CHO or any other reputable hospital in the children’s miracle network. Maybe if she were pregnant and in Texas it might be different although that is just wrong too. I sincerely hope your sister “Came back” from whatever brain injury she endured and lives a full active life Apparently your sister was not BRAIN DEAD which is the case here. she’s been dead a month, her body is decomposing and she will never come back. so tell me what your point is ms. misinformed?

• Kim   January 14, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Why do you all always love to hollar riot. Possibly because it is in your nature and you are the originators of the term. Burning houses, and people with your pretty white sheets. We only mimic what we were taught.

24. Linda   January 13, 2014 at 2:47 pm

My son looked so alive, I could feel his present. He’d was smiling and looked so at peace. I screamed….. wake up!…..wake up!…. the next day I experenced his soul. Let your daughtger enter into Gods arms. Your daughters spirt will be with you.

• dishydoodle   January 13, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Linda, Wishing you peace. Thanks for sharing your experience of accepting and letting go. Sorry you had to go through that.

• Anne   January 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Well said Linda, believing the spirit will always be with your loves us hard.,acceptance is having that faith…sorry for your loss

25. bitingbarnfly   January 13, 2014 at 2:29 pm

“I think you all are racists and just do not give a damn because she is black. Have some respect !”

How dare you! I resent your characterization of people who have a solid grasp of the facts. She was declared dead on December 12th, and released to a CORONER. Are the Doctors racist to declare her dead??? Is this some new level of racism that has jumped out from behind the bushes?

• Maxine's Daughter   January 13, 2014 at 2:39 pm

it would be the same if she were Honey Boo Boo. the child is deceased, no less by the opinions of 6 doctors.

• Sheila Wilson   January 13, 2014 at 6:53 pm

This family did not win permission to remove their daughter from CHO. because they were black. They won on legal grounds. They have a religious belief that she is alive as long as her heart is beating. To deny the family would have violated their religious rights.

• Peace for Jahi's family! eh forget that lol   January 15, 2014 at 1:35 am

“My relative is not dead until I say my relative is dead”. That principle is not thought out so well…. Are we to force all the hospitals to keep grandma hooked up to machines forever, because the families can’t bear to say goodbye? Who’s going to pay for the hospitals full of dead people and where is the money going to come from, to build even more hospitals for the living?

• Maxine's Daughter   January 15, 2014 at 7:40 am

oh yeah keep granny alive so the SS checks keep rolling in. now there’s a concept.

26. bitingbarnfly   January 13, 2014 at 2:19 pm

WHY, WHY, WHY is the race card always pulled? She most likely got preferential treatment because of her race. The judge’s decision to release her body was practically unprecedented. Why do some people continue to be miserable provocateurs when most of us are simply discussing the case, which has become the theatre of the macabre. I personally think the family is doing a grotesque thing to insist on the re-animation of this girl’s dead body. It is unholy. Now, where is my racist angle?

• Lorna   January 13, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I agree.

• B   January 14, 2014 at 12:44 am

You are racist because if she were white you would have said nothing.

• dc.CCRN.   January 14, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I completely agree. I cannot believe the judge released the body to the coroner to release it to the family. A body generally goes to a funeral home, NOT another hospital. And Marlise Munoz, the brain dead pregnant woman in Texas, should also be allowed to be laid to rest. No amount of praying or fighting will bring Jahi back from the dead. It’s not about race, it’s about the fact that this little girl has died on December 12th. Her brain has had no blood flow since then. A persons body should be treated with utmost respect once their soul has left it. This new facility putting in the trach and PEG falls more along the lines of unethical experimentation than medical interventions. It is illegal to perform experiments on dead bodies in all 50 states…. I hope the new facility loses their license.

27. Bob Bunton   January 13, 2014 at 1:58 pm

The medical procedures Jahi underwent were WAY beyond a simple tonsillectomy. Why does the media insist on continuing to spread such a falsehood?

• Molly   January 13, 2014 at 2:21 pm

She had her tonsils and some other tissue removed to alleviate her sleep apnea. And does anyone even put the fact that at the age 13 this little girl was over weight not only over weight but obese. When you go in to surgery your health plays a major impact on your life.

• Ramblin2   January 13, 2014 at 4:34 pm

It may well be that it’s because Jahi was overweight that the mother is having such a difficult time accepting the reality her daughter has been dead for almost a month. Perhaps the mother didn’t do such a good job in monitoring her child’s eating habits, leading to her obesity. Guilt factor in play. Nonetheless, I hope the mother and family will find peace. Especially, Jahi.

• B   January 14, 2014 at 12:45 am

Like your kids were not fat. How many pounds overweight are you?

• dc.CCRN.   January 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm

**That doesn’t help anything. Neither does insulting the parenting prior to this even.**
          But she did have other serious health issues. I’ve never heard of removing a persons uvula for treatment of sleep apnea, there was clearly more going on.

28. sunny   January 13, 2014 at 1:45 pm

So who is making these reports. I don’t believe the family has made any public appearances lately.

• Ramblin2   January 13, 2014 at 4:37 pm

“Health specialists” who likely have experience in situations like Jahi’s and that’s what they’re reporting. It’s not like the family’s going to come out and say Jahi’s been healed. And when the time comes that Jahi stops breathing via machinery, we’ll probably hear from them.

• dc.CCRN.   January 14, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I don’t think we will. We’ll probably hear from the big mouth lawyer. And I wouldn’t expect to hear anything from the family right now. What would they say? The lawyer is the one who has released any recent info about her condition.

29. OceanicMomcat   January 13, 2014 at 1:37 pm

The problem here is that in using the phrase ‘brain death’ some people think that doesn’t mean death. Whether the brain dies or the heart dies – you are dead! The ventilator is causing the lungs to pass oxygen to the bloodstream. If the heart receives oxygenated blood it pumps – no oxygen, no pumping. For pity’s sake – the court documents show that the expired intestines are sloughing out of her as if they were stool. I have no idea how the family can interpret that as Jahi just needs “nutrition”. There is no brain to drive breathing – this has become some bizarre science lab experiment.

• dc.CCRN.   January 14, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Oh wow, I hadn’t heard that about the intestines, please please post a link. Her heart isn’t beating, a machine is doing that now too. Only a matter of time…. poor little girl. What a terrible family. Who does this to a loved one?

30. shehar39   January 13, 2014 at 1:36 pm

no kidding.. she should not have even lasted this long.. makes you question the diagnosis

• Ella Marsh   January 13, 2014 at 1:53 pm

We don’t even know if she HAS lasted this long. All that has been confirmed is that Jahi left the hospital with her heart still beating. The family makes claims that she’s improving but there is no way to verify anything they say. For all we know her heart has already stopped and that’s why the family won’t say anything more

31. sherry   January 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Someone needs to call CPS. They know how to take a child from there family.

• Sunnysmom   January 13, 2014 at 3:20 pm

The only call that needs made is the one to the funeral home.

32. Molly   January 13, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Let that little girl rest in peace. God created people he knew what we were going to be and how our lives will end even before we were born. God put knology in our head that’s why we common technology, common medicine, and common sense….. common sense to when someone is brain dead and your using common medicine to keep the body function that its time to let go and let god take over. And yes, hospitals make mistakes all the time with misdiagnosed someone that’s why they get second opinion. This little girl had not one, not two, but three different doctors diagnosis her brain dead. She isn’t in a coma. Coma and brain dead are two different things. A coma your brain is still function. And I understand that the family wanted to wait to see what will happen to this little girl but over a month has pass and she has no brain activity. God has already taken that girl into his kingdom. And does anyone even put the fact that at the age 13 this little girl was over weight not only over weight but obese. When you go in to surgery your health plays a major impact on your life. like the quote about gods way. When God has put a period, how dare you put a question mark….

33. nicole   January 13, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Being a mother that has already buried a very small child. I feel for this mother and where she is coming from. I wouldn’t let go until she lets go. I’m just tired of people having a opinion about the situation, isn’t it that families business what they decide to do, if no money is coming out your pocket, why it is your concern to comment. When it’s time to let go, that’s when that family will let go. The mother is already dealing with a tragic situation, but all people want to do is beat her down more. Go do something productive with your life and let this family deal with it. It’s their love one and their business, I hope she does wake up and shut everyone’s mouth up.

• dc.CCRN.   January 14, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Jahis body HAS let go. Machines breathe for her, pump her heart for her. Her body cannot maintain a temp above 35, so they pile on blankets….. I think it’s well past time for the family to let go.

34. RB   January 13, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Schiavo was brain-damaged. She could breathe on her own. Jahi is brain-DEAD.

35. kelli thomas   January 13, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Didn’t the attorney already say that a feeding tube had been successfully inserted?

• Amy   January 13, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Yes, he did state that a feeding tube had been inserted. This article is a bit behind.

• dishydoodle   January 13, 2014 at 5:06 pm

The lawyer isn’t known for being so truthful, but let’s just hope he lied about the feeding tube and they didn’t actually do one!

This poor little angel’s bowels had shut down weeks before she was released to the coroner for release to her mother. Her body was sloughing gut material and Dr Heidi Flori mentions, in her Supplemental Declaration dated 1/3/2014, that a g-tube would be deleterious (harmful).

Google Dr Heidi Flori’s Supplemental Declaration; court document available to view.

36. Sue   January 13, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I find it disrespectful to their daughter – what the family is doing here. Let her go. As a parent, I understand how horrible it must be to lose a child, but this is just delaying the grief. This is a dead body and it is a little macabre at best. The Terry Schiavo case was totally different in that she had some brain function and because of that was still alive. Once the brain ceases to function and there is no activity from it (basic stuff like breathing, heart beat, organ function) or the brain stem, that person is gone. Accept the fact and start dealing with it! Brain damage and brain death are two different things. We would prosecute someone that kept a dead body in the house (think Norman Bates), but this scenario seems to be acceptable to some people. It is insane.

37. Clemmie   January 13, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Again Teri S. was in a persistant vegetative state. She was not declared brain dead until her feeding tube was removed. Jahi is not in a PVS, she has been declared brain dead as there is no blood flow to her brain.

• Ella Marsh   January 13, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Terri Schiavo was never diagnosed as brain dead. The court simply upheld the husbands right to recognize her condition would never improve and remove the feeding tube that was maintaining her body to allow her to finally pass.

38. Tracy   January 13, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Correction to the article: the death certificate was issued by the Alameda County coroner’s office, no LA. She died in Oakland, not LA.

39. S.A.   January 13, 2014 at 11:58 am

A much better story would be on the EC Reems charter school (funded by the public) whose principal told her students that Jahi is alive, even though the LAW and a death certificate shows that she is. This school has no business calling itself a “technology” school that will prepare students for the future if it can’t understand the basic difference between dead and alive. I wonder how much $ she received from the McMath family.

• Wm   January 13, 2014 at 1:23 pm

You are correct. There have been problems with charter schools with a hidden religious agenda. Many of them have been shut down. I would like to see an article about this school, and how school funds are being used to pay for the lease of the building that is owned by the church founded by the same person who founded the school. Also, how about the outreach programs being aligned with the church. How they use school funds for speakers that are affliated with the church.

• dishydoodle   January 13, 2014 at 5:37 pm

True S.A. If the school wanted to support the children in this sad situation, then a grief counselor would have been ideal. Ridiculous.

• B   January 14, 2014 at 12:49 am

You need to mind your own business.

40. Audrey Balkema   January 13, 2014 at 11:55 am

What I do not understand is that all the people that want to complain about this family keeping Jahi on support, had something totally to say different about the Schiavo case. I believe that all you guys are racist and just do not care because she is black.

• Tracy   January 13, 2014 at 12:14 pm

• cita   January 13, 2014 at 12:24 pm

The Schiavo case was completely different from this one in that Terry Schiavo was in a vegetative state whereas Jahi McMath is brain dead. Two totally different things. Brain dead is just that – dead. Vegetative state means there is still some form of brain stem function therefore clinically cannot be called brain dead. Terry was still able to react and show some kind of brain function – Jahi cannot because she is gone. Black, white has nothing to do with it. This little girl died December 12th. Her organs are being kept alive artificially, not her brain. Sad case, but it is what it is.

• Sharon Bohn   January 13, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I agreed with the Schiavo decision as well. That one was a little more difficult because Terri Schiavo was alive (lowest of brain functions working), and could breathe on her own. Her heart was lumping itself, not being pumped for her. She had no cognitive functions. She was in a PVS, and had been for more than a decade. She was unable to think or react consciously to her surroundings. I still feel that her husband made the humane choice. I would hope my family could let me go.

Jahi McMath, on the other hand, has died. She has no function of any part of her brain. Her body cannot breathe on its own (or anything else). She died more than a month ago. Using a machine especially to pump her heart until it decomposes to the point of falling off the machine is helping no one.

• ImNoDhimmi   January 13, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Audrey Balkema says: “I believe that all you guys are racist and just do not care because she is black.”

WHY must some people bring race into every issue, even when it has no bearing on the topic? Black, white, yellow or pink with purple polka dots, this child should have been buried three weeks ago!

41. Violette De La Croix   January 13, 2014 at 11:55 am

Alarming from the stand point of people’s idea that the family is “smart” and therefore know more than the medical experts/docs and she is NOT dead and rotting for all practical purposes. People have been lead to believe that Jahi could have been maintained in pristine condition, like a fairy Princess for eternity, never rotting or growing old.

By now the smell is beyond ignorable, her skin must be cold and loosening, beyond what a fresh manicure can remedy( family is said to be doing her nails). The money coming in from the begfests isn’t a drop in the bucket compared with true costs and yet we are told to wait and see. Pray for God to reverse the decomp of a dead child. This is not just a grieving family this is an American disaster, possibly leading to legal changes where families can take dead people home to rot in the parlor. I hope that isn’t the way it goes but hey, these are “smart” people and they know best.

42. Audrey Balkema   January 13, 2014 at 11:51 am

life support in the United States that lasted from 1990 to 2005

• cita   January 13, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Life Support because Terry was still ALIVE although in a vegetative state. Jahi is DEAD. Her organs are being forced to function because of a machine that is doing everything for her. She died 12/12/13. This little girl should be put to rest so that she can rest in peace.

• Ramblin2   January 13, 2014 at 7:42 pm

I don’t believe Jahi’s organs are going to be functioning like they should since she’s dead. No brain activity, no blood flow to the brain. I wish her family would begin to understand what that means instead of thinking they know better or that their faith is going to bring Jahi back.

43. Audrey Balkema   January 13, 2014 at 11:50 am

What I do not understand, is that all you guys that are bitching did say the same things about Terri Schiavo. I think you all are racists and just do not give a damn because she is black. Have some respect !

• Kathy Burke English   January 13, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I believe that if she were white, the judge would have ordered the life support turned off.

• Ramblin2   January 13, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Nice generalization there, Audery. You really have no idea what any of us were thinking or feeling in regards to Terry Schiavo. Terry wasn’t brain DEAD whereas Jahi is. BIG difference.

44. Rebecca Savastio   January 13, 2014 at 11:43 am

To all those asking what are the “alarming new details”: personally, I do find the fact that the girl’s body is decomposing and her brain turning to liquid to be EXTREMELY alarming, and new, since this the first I’ve heard of the poor girl’s decomposition. In fact, I didn’t know that the body would decompose to such a degree while still hooked to a machine. Thanks, Kim, for shedding light on this horrifying new information.

45. Mohan Mahal   January 13, 2014 at 11:41 am

I have been touched by the story of Jahi McMath since day one. I am concerned about her well being and the her future. Just like her family I would like her to live on but not with life support but by supporting life with Oran Donation.

The hardest decision I had to cope, when I was waiting for a Heart Transplant was to accept the fact that some one had to die before I could receive an organ for transplant.

I meet with Jahi’s Mom at the Children’s Hospital in Oakland and prayed for her long life. I understand her pain and the sadness the family is experiencing. It is my humble and kind request to the family that they should accept the calling form god and let her peacefully reach the end of life without any more suffering and discomfort to any one.

I will continue to pray for her and may god give strength to the family to cope with the final outcome.

As a Heat recipient surviving after twenty years I believe that we should provide Organ donation education in schools so children can even express their desires. None of us know when and where our lives are going to end.

God bless Jahi McMath and support her family.

Mohan Mahal

46. Kris   January 13, 2014 at 11:34 am

These details are not new. It’s the same thing they & the media have been told from the hospital. She’s dead. She’s decomposing.

47. rocktivity   January 13, 2014 at 11:28 am

Jahi’s body is doing what it’s supposed to be doing — decomposing, not “deteriorating.” And she’s decomposing because she is DEAD! BURY HER!!!

48. Molly   January 13, 2014 at 10:56 am

She is getting worse that’s because a dead body can’t function. The family are holding on to false hope because the doctors say they are optimistic about this girl about Jahi condition. Optimistic mean hopeful. They are all hopeing for something that will not happen. I feel bad for this family. I feel for the mother. It must be hard to know that your daughter is dead. A person has never came back from being brain dead. There has been misdiagnosed about a person being brain dead but after a month of no brain activity their is no coming back. I understand God has more power then science but I remember a quote about God’s way “when God has put a period how dare you put a question mark.” Its not our way to question God and his plan. I understand that this family has high faith in God and not in the science but they are using science to keep her body function. Why dont they cut out the science. Cut out the tubes and hospital equipment and see what God plan is.

49. Christina Wise   January 13, 2014 at 10:55 am

What are the “alarming new details” of which you speak? Because I didn’t read, um, ANY.

50. Anon   January 13, 2014 at 10:50 am

So…the “alarming details” are 1) she’s still dead and 2) the family still refuses to believe it?

51. Ira Pastor   January 13, 2014 at 10:45 am

Actually, there are a few cases in the literature over the last several decades of supposed brain death reversal – mainly in infants and fetuses (where you may still have an active neurogenesis niche) – none ever had positive long term outcome, but the papers do exists in PubMed if you look for them – and they are hotly contested amongst thought leaders – like this one – http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19818943 – And do keep in mind, the brain death diagnosis does NOT constitute zero cerebral activity as is commonly mentioned in the press – it is “no cerebral activity greater than 2 micro-volts” – most thought leaders in the space acknowledge residual “nests” of neuronal activity and residual blood flow do indeed exist in the brain dead – just not enough to support an “integrated whole person” – Since 1968 and the Harvard Ad Hoc Committee on Brain Death, the definition of death has remained static, in spite of 1) the major thought leaders in the space acknowledging that brain death is a process, not an event, and 2) the continued development of new technologies, including those of regenerative medicine – and on top of that, even in the year 2014 we really have no widely accepted idea on how memories are truly stored in the brain, and how much of the brain can be destroyed while maintaining identity – Ira S Pastor, CEO, Bioquark Inc. – http://www.bioquark.com[email protected]

52. Ll   January 13, 2014 at 10:42 am

In the rare cases that true brain death was declared and the organs were being supported was declared immoral by the US standards. When the time comes that modern science can keep organs in a body functioning forever indepedant of the brain controlling, does that make it right? No. The judge has made a huge mistake here, by allowing this and when his term comes up for reelection in 2019, i hope the people do not reelect him.

53. RiverSpirit   January 13, 2014 at 10:32 am

It’s Called Death, that is the condition. Her body no longer knows what to do, becaue the brain is not there to tell it how to.

• Spike   January 13, 2014 at 10:39 am

The fact she is dead has been known since early December, we were hoping for “alarming new details” 🙂

54. Heidi   January 13, 2014 at 10:23 am

Wait, what are the “alarming new details?”

55. Spike   January 13, 2014 at 10:03 am

“suffering from a condition that stops a feeding tube from being inserted”. Very interesting. Can you tell us what that condition might be? Thank you.

• ImNoDhimmi   January 13, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Her parents have a condition – it’s called greed.

• Ella Marsh   January 13, 2014 at 2:02 pm

It’s called death. It is immoral to perform surgical procedures on a corpse. Pumping food into a body that is not alive will only help to speed up decay and feed more bacteria into the body. The court papers have stated she was already sloughing her gut back on the 3rd of this month and her respiratory secretions were bloody and “malodorous” meaning her lungs are already breaking down.

56. fiona solomon   January 13, 2014 at 10:00 am

I just hope that some one with the legal power to stop this will step in and let that child be given a funeral.I’m one of the people that are on the side of the CHO and others that are not delusional.There are several Facebook pages for her,one is private.The other pages are like stepping into to some Stephen King novel written about cult like people that think the dead can arise.They seem to believe that Jahi is “The Chosen” one to put the fear/belief of their god into people.I can’t help but think the parents are NOT victims of their lawyer Mr.Dolan either.It’s went way beyond that now.It’s so horrible and i can’t even fathom how this was and still is being allowed.Maybe the President or some one from the C.D.C. can step in..

• ImNoDhimmi   January 13, 2014 at 1:34 pm

The President should step in? Why, to make this even more of a circus than it already is? What does Barry have to do with it? Oh wait………………his devout followers likely believe he can raise Jahi from the dead!