Lung Cancer Decreases as Vaping Increases

Lung Cancer

Lung cancer cases have been decreasing while vaping, which is inhaling nicotine vapor from an e-cigarette or vape pen, has increased. Fifty years ago this month, the Surgeon General announced evidence existed that smoking was linked to lung cancer. The evil cancer villain has been lurking in the shadows, terrorizing the nation as millions of smokers light up. Anyone enjoying an episode of Mad Men will be shocked at the amount of cigarettes the actors go through in one scene alone.

Fifty years ago, smoking was boasted as a symbol of power, confidence and allure with just a hint of sex appeal. Cigarettes were pushed in magazines, billboards, newspapers and commercials displaying young children assisting a parent to light up a smoke. However, when the Surgeon General’s 1964 report came out denouncing cigarettes as a health hazard, anti-tobacco efforts were organized to hinder people’s ability to smoke, such as higher taxes on tobacco, nonsmoking areas and funding for stop smoking programs.

According to recent studies reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association, antismoking campaigns have saved as much as 8 million lives over the last 50 years. Smoking has been decreased by 58 percent, hovering at 18 percent, and life expectancy has increased by 1.5 years for women and 2 years for men. While the lung cancer rates have decreased, vaping has increased.

Vaping

New smoking alternatives have flooded the market, like e-cigarettes, and gaining popularity by leaps and bounds. Many believe tobacco-free alternative cigarettes are beneficial to public health by completely eliminating second hand smoke and aiding in the decrease in lung cancer. Some smoke-free areas permit e-cigarettes and vape pens and have increased vaping.

Vaporium have sprung up across the country. Henley Vaporium recently opened in SoHo and has become a popular place for those interested in vaping. Vapologists guide customers through the multitude of gadgets and liquid nicotine, referred to as e-flavor, which number upwards of 100 flavors like blueberry, butterscotch, vanilla and caramel.

Electronic cigarettes contain a sensor-activated battery. When a person inhales, or pushes a button on some models, an element heats up and vaporizes the e-liquid nicotine located in a cartridge which emits a mist, or vapor. Disposable e-cigarettes start at $10 while vape pens can run $250, but can be found for much less.

E-cigarettes have also been a stepping stone for helping people to quit smoking, especially now when New Year’s resolutions are still fresh in mind. Henley co-founder Talia Eisenberg battled OxyContin and Vicodin addiction for many years, finally overcoming the drugs only to find she couldn’t quit smoking. Nothing worked; nicotine gum, patches, Chantix and cold turkey were unable to help her kick the habit. Then she picked up an e-cigarette; within a few weeks, she kicked the habit for good.

Eisenberg, along with her co-founder, Peter Denholtz, traveled to Shenzhen, China to develop the first Henley e-cigarette. The new Henley design contains an enhanced battery and chip, giving it a better draw and more cigarette-like features: more vapor, more style.

The results have been overwhelming; several Henley Vaporiums have opened across New York. Eisenberg views this as a viable option for smokers with less health risk to both smokers and non-smokers alike. The vapor is much less toxic than drawing chemical-laden tobacco smoke into the lungs.

While many vape pen users agree with Eisenberg, no long-term studies have been done on the use of e-cigarettes to determine just how harmful they may be.

American Lung Association spokesperson Dr. Mike Feinstein expressed his concerns about the safety of the e-cigarettes, stating people are inhaling a chemical vapor into their lungs without realizing what is in it. Dr. Robert Greene, a physician at the Palm Beach Cancer Institute also expressed his concerns about a potential health hazard in the making. Greene emphasized the fact that no real information exists about the long-term effects of liquid nicotine since the product has only been around for three years.

The FDA is assembling regulations regarding the use of vape pens and they should be out later this year. No matter what the FDA decides about the future of vape pens, facts cannot be denied. Lung cancer has decreased as vaping increased.

By Deborah Baran

NY Times

Grimm Green

ABC Action News

56 Responses to "Lung Cancer Decreases as Vaping Increases"

1. Margaret Hermon   May 27, 2016 at 7:58 am

Only been around for three years? Funny, I’ve been a vaper for more than six years – to the benefit of my health and my pocket. After smoking for more than 60 years it’s such a relief to have quit the deadly weed forever.

2. lori   May 27, 2016 at 6:16 am

I know someone in my apt building who vapes so much it gets me sick and of course he has mental illness. I been around other people who vape and it doesn’t get me sick. I get the mingrains from it. I found out its not the ecig itself but its the juice that gets put into it. Its seems like it a lot to do with the fruity smells. He also smokes when he goes outside so in that case he is doing both and I’m suffering. The regular cigs done brother me in that way. I don’t get mingrians from the cigarettes just when he doing the ecig.

3. Robert   August 22, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Vape juice has 4 ingredients. Vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, pure pharmaceutical grade nicotine, and concentrated flavoring. Propylene glycol has been an ingredient in automotive antifreeze for some time now because the original additive (ethylene glycol) used back in the 70’s was found to be poisonous. Dogs would sometimes drink it and become sick or even die.
    Propylene glycol is used in food additives and medications such as liquid baby Tylenol. As is vegetable glycerin.
    I have read that some e-juice makers have been experimenting with other additives in the hopes of finding something that would be addictive. Much like the food industry has with additives like hi fructose corn syrup.
    I make my own juice just to be sure that I’m not getting anything like that. And it’s very much less expensive.

4. Daniel   May 26, 2015 at 2:48 pm

First and foremost: PROOFREAD YOUR ARTICLE! The spelling and grammar mistakes were very hard to get by making this article seem as though it has absolutely no credibiltity.

Any GLYCOL compound will have the same “characteristics” as an antifreeze; meaning it will absorb moisture and prevent liquid from freezing to a certain point. There is no antifreeze compound in any e-juice, just chemicals that may resemble characteristics of an antifreeze.

True: there are no studies to back anything stating one alternative to be healthier than the other.

True: the antifreeze claim was made by a company/study backed by tobacco dollars.

True: lung cancer diagnosis numbers have decreased since the introduction of electronic cigarettes.

False: ecigs are the reason diagnosis numbers have dropped. Come on, common sense dictates that fewer people are smoking. That’s it.

Like the previous poster said: make your own INFORMED decision. I’ve been cigarette free for 2.5 years now thanks to ecigs after smoking for nearly 15 years; the last 2 of which I was a near 2 pack a day smoker. I’ve never felt better, saved so much money, and just been plain ole proud of myself for sticking to something.

I found it to be a worthwhile endeavor, you may not on the other hand. Decide for yourself. Seriously, think for YOURSELF for once, Google CAN’T TELL YOU EVERYTHING.

• james   May 26, 2015 at 11:06 pm

I have been vaping since I quit smoking! I can get the same pleasure vaping as I did smoking a cigarette!actually I feel better about vaping since I stopped smoking 3yrs ago,because I vape.i tried to quit smoking many times.it was hopeless until I tried vaping.So that is the easy way to quit plus my lungs are terrible.I have COPD.I know that nicotine isn’t the best but I was told that vaping nicotine is about the same as caffeine.I am even lowering my nicotine level and my smoking preference was a tobacco flavor but after about 6months I starting to dislike the tobacco flavors and now use more of a fruit flavor or a vanilla custard flavor.But there are so many flavors to choose from.It can be expensive buying the juice but as I stated now I can buy at a not so expensive cost.knoledge is the factor.talk to people that vape you can buy at a very reasonable price.30ml was $30.00/now I pay about $3.50 for 30 ml. my lungs don’t lie.Daniel I’m sure you have made the best decision smoking cigarettes is a filthy habit that I did for over 30 some yrs.I regret it every day It took my breath away.now that I vape I feel my lungs getting a little bit better but the damage is done.Especially at my age.Now all they have to do is Legalize Marijuana the organic plant that has so many Benefits for your Health! Everybody knows that has cancer because it helps.also Epilepsy,stroke patients,Alsheimer,it goes on etc.

5. Erin   May 9, 2015 at 11:08 am

God, this is a stupid headline. Vaping will prove to have its own share of deadly problems down the line. You write this stupid headline and give vaping credit for the decline in lung cancer. Did you ever stop to think it might be because more people have stopped smoking and fewer have started? Journalism school is always a good idea for writers.

6. Shagustus   May 3, 2015 at 10:54 am

Propylene glycol is not antifreeze. Ethylene glycol is, but is not found in e-liquid. Stop the confusion in the name of big tobacco profits.

• james   May 3, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I have been a smoker of cigarettes for over 40 plus yrs.I tried to quit several times.with no avail.Mainly because I liked to smoke.But my health is really bad to continue.So I tried vaping,It was pleasant gave me more satisfaction.Because of that reason I will never go back to cigarettes,and the vaping of all types of flavors is the pleasure, So far I use less each day,I might vape 2times an hour ,the habit just isn’t their like cigarette

7. Janet   April 5, 2015 at 4:40 pm

It’s all about the money and it always will be. It doesn’t matter if ecigs were found to be GOOD for you, if that revelation causes big business to lose money, you’ll always be told that they’re not safe. Research for yourself and make your own informed decisions. Don’t be lead around by a leash.

8. Jim Denny   March 4, 2015 at 11:46 am

Vegatable glyserin is what is used,if you used diethyl it would hurt your lungs,not a good substance,if you see that in your juice dont use it.some companys have used it in some buttery flavors and it does make it have a buttery taste but if you see it or know its in a juice forget it dont even use it.harmful to your health.

9. Karthik   September 29, 2014 at 1:51 am

Yawn!
    As long as there’s an alternative to smoking they’ll be people who will cry foul because their masters (big tobacco) are making lesser and lesser money.

Of course – I used to smoke 40 cigarettes a day – approximately $150 a month – and I have not had a single puff of tobacco for 10 months. That’s $1800 a year from one guy. If 100 smokers like me switched to e-cigs, it’s $180,000 a year.

If 100,000 folks switched, it’s $180 Million. And cigarettes are pretty cheap in India. It’ll be in the vicinity of $600 million in revenue losses.

Across the world, tobacco is the one single product that is taxed the most. Imagine the losses the government would have. I mean they would have to think twice before bailing out Bank of America, GM, Lehmann Brothers and so on next time around if they didn’t have smokers paying extra taxes.

Every smoker is a cancer patient in the making. Imagine how many patients the big Pharma companies would lose.

Imagine how many extra insurance premia the insurance companies would gain.

Imagine how much of a globally established industry that vaping is turning upside down.

You think they’d just roll over and die? I’d not be surprised if the tobacco companies forced certain governments to make vaping and possession of electronic cigarettes, batteries or atomizers an offence equal to terrorism. Hit me!

10. Sam   September 28, 2014 at 2:41 am

Diethyl glycol ? , It’s found in antifreeze because an alternative to the previously toxic ingredients had to be used

11. Egonieser   September 27, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I was a smoker for over 10 years and I couldn’t quit, nor did I want to. Ever since i tried a eCig, I never looked back. It doesn’t smell, it harms nobody, my health has improved, I can draw deeper breaths and caugh less. Plus I save a ton of money, because a 30ml bottle of eLiquid costs about £10 in the UK, yet a packet of low-end Cigarettes cost £5, which lasted me for 1-2 days. A bottle of 30ml of eLiquid – a month, sometimes less. I can’t stand cigarette smoke anymore, even though i was a smoker myself and it never bothered me when I did. Besides – I get more of a nicotine kick from eCigs which I can customize to be stronger or weaker depending on my cravings, and nicotine as a substance is highly addictive – yes, but on it’s own it’s not anymore harmful than Caffeine, afterall, it’s not the nicotine that kills smokers, it’s the thousands of other chemicals in a cigarette.

Just my experience.

12. Dragonmum   September 26, 2014 at 5:46 am

It is idiotic to say they don’t know what’s in e-cigs – 3 very benign to harmless ingredients plus flavoring. The average anti-smoking spray contain more than three times that amount including hydrochloric acid but these are approved without question; cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals when combusted, including many carcinogens, but they are on sale everywhere, so just what does the ALA and Cancer charities have against these products? Could it be that the Pharmaceutical Companies provide them with a lot of funding so they are more or less obliged to oppose anything that affects the profits of their benefactors?

13. Kevin   August 23, 2014 at 3:55 am

so chewing tobacco must be ok too. morons.

• ayylmao   September 19, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Nice reply there!

I can truly see the thought put into it.

• Zdenek   September 26, 2014 at 5:57 am

Kevin, are you a republican by any chance?
      I’m just wondering because you’re using the same kind of “logic” FOX and friends uses.

• Chris   September 26, 2014 at 8:22 am

Sorry, but that was clear sarcasm. I agree with the sarcasm. The facts are there in black and white, they are just trying to ignore them.

14. David   August 1, 2014 at 5:52 am

And another thing is you can clearly get the liquid without nicotine, you can pretty much customize these devices to your liking, i quit smoking after only five years of smoking and i feel better now then when i got out of boot camp! I use a mod, and i will never think about turning back again, vaping was the best decision i have ever made.

15. Dragonmum   July 30, 2014 at 7:21 am

I’ve been vaping for 4.5 years and I’m a relative newcomer! Article is very fuzzy on the facts but the headline makes a nice change.

16. Ewe Suk   July 30, 2014 at 12:29 am

Your journalism sucks. Way to clutter up the Internet with a very bogus article. Cite source

17. Dave Irwin   July 27, 2014 at 9:29 pm

The “TRACE” amounts of toxins they found were from a crappy Manufacturer from China. Now compare those trace amounts with the 4000 Known Carcinogens found in cigarettes. Not to mention cancer causing agents and carbon monoxide, cigarette butts, ashes, burns, house fires and so on and so on. I’m now 17 months without a Cigarette, after 28 years of smoking. I can tell you that Electronic Vaping has likely saved mine and my wife’s Lives. I can now smell things, feel better, breathe better and my house doesn’t smell like smoke. My kids and pets now live in a safer environment due to the lack of smoking in the house.

18. Raven A. Reeves   July 27, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Very true David. I have been vaping for over 5 years now 😀

• Michele   July 27, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I changed to e cigs 5 months ago and am essentially smoke free. Great product

19. David   July 27, 2014 at 11:59 am

The last bit bs. The study that everyone flips out about antifreeze in the liquid was done over three years ago and they used china liquid cartrages. Also vaping has been around for more than 3 years, try 5

20. jo higgins   July 27, 2014 at 11:17 am

i have been vaping over 6 months now and have never heard anyone call e-juice “e-flavor” and have certainly never heard of ecigs called vape pens. if the writer would have done a small bit of research on the subject before he writes something he obviously doesn’t know anything about.

21. J.M. Wilson   May 20, 2014 at 1:08 am

I have been vaping for 2 months and completely dropped cigarettes. A positive step. I know what is in e cigs, understand nicotine is addictive and am vaping less than I smoked. I wish the government would get its nose out of my personal business.

22. Ghislian Georges   May 6, 2014 at 11:22 pm

I started vaping after 55 years smoking more then 50 cigarettes every single day. Since 150 days I vape and from the first day there was a unbelievble positive change in my condition. Even my addiction to nicotine is less because I did smoke at night but now I don’t vape at night!!!

23. Richard Thomas   February 11, 2014 at 10:41 am

Yes, We do konw what is in the E-Liquid, And we also know that the FDA approved PFizer Nicotrol inhaler has three times as many harmful chemicals. Once again a waster of a report. We once started smoking cigarettes despite the links to lung cancer actually being proven. Knowing this. Any study that would change anyones mind would have to be pretty amazing. Look at all the college education behind the anti e cig studies. Look at how the technology has advanced since the big word came out about tobacco. Yet inconclusive studies is all they come up with. Really. The only thing scarier is that tax and tuition monies fund this junk.

24. aikanae   January 16, 2014 at 4:12 pm

The ingredents used in eliquid are the same used in many other common things including inhalation medications. Other NRT substitutes use the same things. The biggest issue is keeping tobacco and drug companies OUT of the industry or we’ll end up with 4,000 secret ingredients to make them more addictive again. Right now ecigs are customizable so that every smoker can quit. 85% of the price of cigs is taxes. It’s time to start looking elsewhere for that money.

25. SUGI PULA   January 16, 2014 at 2:22 am

The so-called “doctor” who claims e-cigs have “only been around for three years” is grossly ill-informed and should not be quoted…they have been on the market for nearly a decade. Not a single death has resulted. Not even one. Meanwhile, tobacco related illnesses kill nearly 5 million people every year. As for the retard who is so concerned about “secondhand vapor,” there isn’t any. It’s vapor, NOT smoke…nothing burns and there is no odor. Shove your fascist petition and learn what the heck you’re talking about before you post stupid comments. The only “scourge” is tobacco…but I suppose you’d rather have people dying of cancer. Imbecile.

• Rob ( THE MADMAN ) BOWNE   April 16, 2014 at 8:31 am

Actually the first patent for an E-Cig was first filed on August 17th 1965 but the first prototype was built on April 17th 1963 which was invented by Herbert A Gilbert . SO it has indeed been around for many decades.

• Eric Sievers   April 16, 2014 at 8:52 am

I would like to see where you found this information. Its very sad that I didn’t see this years ago as I would have quit a lot sooner.

26. Ronald Swartzwalder   January 15, 2014 at 8:05 pm

sPlease visit and sign this petition to rid us of this new scourge of electronic cigarettes. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to breathe or have my children breathe their second hand smoke or vapor or whatever the hell they are calling it. “https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/ban-importation-manufacture-sale-and-usage-electronic-cigarettes/ncY4PVXG”wartzwalderronald@yahoo.com

• Eric Sievers   January 16, 2014 at 6:58 am

You are crazy!!! There is NOTHING wrong with ecigs. Why would you create this???

• Eric Sievers   January 16, 2014 at 7:04 am

I see only 1 signature… LMFAO!!!

• judyandco   April 28, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Eric:
          I can now go for hours without wanting a cigarette since I started e-cig. What I love about this is it gives us a way-out of being trapped, and unable to quit. I also love the fact that the state I live in won’t get the tax money for the cigaretts they know people are hooked-on, and they know people will pay anything to get them. What a bunch of bull that is, and I told the governor that wasn’t going to work like he thought, to pay for the city’s retirement fund for long. People get tired to being used that way, especially after the government knew cigarettes were harmful, and kept it from the public so they could collect that tax money. People don’t mean a shxt to the government, but the money we can bring them, so take care of yourself because the government sure don’t care if you live or die from smoking. The FDA, please, look at all the drugs they approve, and later you lose your life from liver damage, heartattacks, and blood clots. Now that there is money involved, look-out, I don’t trust them. Our children are even being harmed due to greed.

• Richard Thomas   February 11, 2014 at 10:54 am

I hope you arent holding your breath Ronald. Im glad you are protecting your kids from vapor. A respossible parent is always careful in keeping the lid on the steaming cup of coffee. Because that vapor contains caffine. Keep in mids that nicotine wasn’t the villian until the invention of E cigs.So we can villify that too. and we wouldn’t want secondhand exposure to that. And a responsible parent will never let thier kis play in a group outside on a cold day and breath another kids secondhand vapor. When you want to ban secondhand stupidity Ron. I’ll be right there with you.

• Spazmelda Whee   January 16, 2014 at 7:43 am

Um… No thanks?

• MJT   January 21, 2014 at 5:21 pm

wow so sad…..please get informed we dont need any more stupid people making decisions that effect the rest of us.

• freedom   January 23, 2014 at 2:10 pm

Seriously? Scourge? Who are you to make this kind of claim based on absolutely 0 facts? I have used electronic cigarettes now for 2 years and let me tell you I feel better than ive felt in years. I quit smoking the day I picked up e cigs. I can breathe better, havent had an illness related to lungs or breathing, my skin has cleared up along with many other positive effects. Sure, more research should be done but my results have been amazing. Your nanny state mentality is the antithesis of what this country stands for. If a product helps to stop so many from smokin cigarettes which have been proven to kill and cause suffering then we have the right to use it. As an adult we have the right to choose and you nor anyone else has the right to tell us we cant. Which tobacco company do you work for exactly?

• Phil M.   March 24, 2014 at 8:26 am

Thanks Ron! Your check is on the way! We’re glad you could take this time to badmouth a life-saving industry and thereby increase our sales. Also, we’re sending you a free carton of MarBlows. Smoke up Ronny!
      Sincerely,
      Big Tobacco

27. aMb3R   January 15, 2014 at 5:48 am

They claim you don’t know what’s in ejuice, but what about all the horrible additives &chemicals in actual cigarettes? Why don’t they regulate those? If they’re going to regulate ejuice, they need to regulate what goes into the end product of actual cigarettes as well. Can’t demonze 1 if the other is a million times worse. I’m a believer in vaping. I’ve seen many people quit smoking &enjoy the benifit of better overall health. Big improvement &step for the people.. you have to remember, its all about money in government &big tobacco &pharma. This vaping is significantly damaging their business. Of course they’re going to try &slander it. Use your brains. Its common sense what seems to be the lesser of 2evils.

• Eric Lilly   January 15, 2014 at 3:27 pm

They wish to make it illegal to smoke e-cigs anywhere cigarettes are not welcome, forcing people to go hang out a smoking areas to use vapor cigs. Why not at that time just smoke cigarettes?

Just remember what party was caught handing out checks from the Tobacco Lobby on the floor of the House before voting and you got your answer.

28. skittlemiss   January 14, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Why spend millions on research if OBVIOUSLY everyone knows better than everybody else and scientists and researchers only tell us what they’ve discovered and actually researched just to take away the things we’ve already been influenced to love.s

29. abycat73   January 14, 2014 at 10:15 am

Having read this article and being a Vape enthusiast, I feel the desire to add a comment regarding some of the information contained here…

I agree regarding correlation not being equal to causation and the title of this article although relevant to the article itself, seems to be a little bit misleading. I do suspect that we will see a significant decline in new lung, throat, and mouth cancer cases correlating to the overall numbers of people who are able to stop using actual combustion and direct absorption methods of nicotine delivery through whichever methods they choose to employ. Unfortunately whereas vaping is similar to the activities involved with inhalant tobacco use, it is not similar to the use of snuff or chewing tobacco therefore is not as likely to successfully replicate the use of those substances to as satisfying a degree.

I do wish the author of this article had looked harder to find recent study documentation although I do not know if this article is recent or if it is a re-print/re-post of an article previously published. The use of a single study performed on an extremely limited scale approximately five years ago by the FDA without provision of counter-evidence is a widely used method of vilifying the vape industry and attempting to spread misinformation. This is often done with an intention to either insinuate or on occasion to blatantly accuse the vape industry and their products of a potential for harm that is highly exaggerated. In actual fact, the “trace quantities” of diethylene glycol and (as has been additionally claimed in some articles) formaldehyde referred to in the study cited were significantly below the toxicity threshold established by the FDA themselves and as expressed in a “parts per million” equation are actually less than what is permitted and acceptable in many currently consumed foodstuffs and beverages.

In other words even IF the contaminants claimed by that ONE study (and only in ONE of their samples out of 18) actually had been discovered in the same proportions across the board (and they WEREN’T) it would not have indicated even close to any kind of health risk for adult humans. This is using the FDA’s own standards to judge the numbers obtained. Since it was in fact just ONE sample out of 18 that was found to even show any quantity of chemicals that COULD be toxic if present in much higher quantities, it can certainly be argued that that one sample was potentially either anomalous or may even have been tainted during the performance of the testing. Human error is certainly a possibility especially since independent review and reproduction of the tests has failed to find the contaminants allegedly present.

Long story short, I agree that continual testing and quality control is a wise precaution as well as a complete refusal to sell or supply to minors. Otherwise, it would appear that the significant amount of harm reduction achieved by switching from incendiary nicotine sources to pharmaceutical grade pure nicotine delivered in conjunction with a blend of FDA approved consumable ingredients (Propylene Glycol, Vegetable Glycerine, and food safe flavorings) is a significant leap toward a better general health of our populations.

Here is a link that might be useful should you desire to do additional research regarding specific studies on the topic of e-cigarettes/personal vaporizers and harm reduction. “http://casaa.org/Electronic_Cigarettes.html” Additionally, CASAA would be glad to correspond with you and provide additional resources if you should desire them.

Otherwise, I feel this is a well presented and helpful overview of a positive current trend in harm reduction. Thank you!

• freedom   January 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Thank you and very well written. Vaping has greatly improved my quality of life.

30. Paul Law   January 14, 2014 at 9:36 am

30 years of smoking 40 Benson and Hedges (gold) every day, started putting some heavy strain on my health, I couldn’t breathe properly, I couldn’t walk the stairs, I couldn’t sleep and when I did I would stop breathing in my sleep and then jump back into life, not only worrying for me but my wife too, I knew smoking was bad just like every person does out there, I tried everything to quit every NRT product known I even went down the route of hypnotism, nothing worked until I spotted an E-cigarette in a chemist, I have not had a puff on a real cigarette since that day nearly a year ago,

My health has transformed to a point that its hard to believe I m the same person, I can sleep again I no longer stop breathing whilst doing so, I can now run up and down the stairs, I can taste my food My house and I no longer stink of stale tobacco and on my last visit to my GP he suggested my body has transformed amazingly.

The amazing thing here is I’m not alone there are many thousands going through the same health improvements as I ‘am,

There are enough genuine reports out there to suggest most of the bad press is hype certain industries are feeling a large pinch in the pocket and that is causing a ripple as far up as Governments.

If people are going to ban things and badmouth them do it for the right reason if there is one and don’t make things up.

• Zdenek   January 15, 2014 at 8:23 am

Same story here. And I believe same story with millions of other people.

31. jerry   January 14, 2014 at 5:56 am

i smoked for over 20 years so i am guaranteed to get emphysema .
    i now vape and it may be around alot longer.
    i can walk faster and do stairs without gasping for air.
    if u are going to smoke or just can not quit vaping is 100% better and safer than smoking tobacco. vaping nicotine has 2 chemicals in it and tobacco has over 40 known cancer causing chemicals …not hard to see vaping is better

32. Eric Sievers   January 13, 2014 at 6:17 am

This is great to hear. I have been Vaping now for over 3 years and have never felt better. I was able to quit my 2 pack a day, 30+ year Cigarette habit with my first Vape and never looked back. I find that if you are lucky and find an ecig flavor that tastes great, you will make the switch faster and easier.

33. brandonsi   January 12, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Myth #3 ‐ Electronic Cigarettes all contain anti‐freeze.

FALSE.

Where it comes from:

In 2009, the FDA released a press statement claiming that they tested electronic cigarettes and found diethylene glycol , an ingredient in anti freeze.

Why it’s wrong:

Independent labs extensively tested other electronic cigarettes and found no evidence of diethylene glycol, the toxic component of antifreeze claimed to have been found in the brands the FDA tested.

To further the confusion, electronic cigarette liquid is made of propylene glycol, an ingredient recognized as safe for human consumption by the FDA. While propylene glycol is sometimes used in anti‐freeze, it is an additive intended to make it LESS harmful if accidentally swallowed.

The FDA tested just 18 cartridges, from only two companies. Out of those 18, just one tested positive for “about 1% diethylene glycol.”

Because so many other tests failed to find diethylene glycol , many experts conclude that the single sample may have been contaminated in some other way. By no means is it considered a standard ingredient in electronic cigarettes.

If electronic cigarettes did contain antifreeze, there would be news reports about the thousands of electronic cigarette owners suffering from diethylene glycol poisoning and that isnot the case. To date, after five years on the market worldwide, there have been no such reports.

[source] – http://casaa.org/uploads/8_Biggest_Electronic_Cigarette_Myths.pdf

34. Lee Joyner   January 12, 2014 at 3:49 pm

correlation is not equal to causation. Someone take this horrible article down as it’s a horrible antiscience.

35. mobtek mobtekl (@mobtekl)   January 12, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I though vaping was created back in 2007-2008 so that’d be 5 years

36. Norm Bour   January 12, 2014 at 9:59 am

This industry is too new to get abundant data on, but even though Vaping does have some bad chemicals, by comparison to cigarettes it is a great step forward. I am an Industry Advisor on Vaping and believe that over the next decade you will see quantitative proof that cancer will drop due to less smokers as well as alternatives like Vaping.

37. Paul Wickham   January 12, 2014 at 6:46 am

“Researchers do not know exactly what’s inside of vape pens and e-cigarettes, but when the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) examined a sample, toxic chemicals were found including diethylene glycol the main ingredient in antifreeze.”

This is on one hand untrue, ingredients of the juice is well known and proven safe, and on the other, the discovery of toxic chemicals was an old and out of date study that has since been superseded.

Lung Cancer cases are falling, smokers are giving up the evil weed in greater and unheard of numbers than ever before (including me) and unless it is your business ie NRT or Tobacco being threatened these devises are nothing but good news.

Doctors and other health professionals are backing the personal vaping devise in ever increasing numbers. Overall not a bad article, just spoiled by the attempt at balance based on bad research.