Lung Cancer Decreases as Vaping Increases

Lung Cancer

Lung cancer cases have been decreasing while vaping, which is inhaling nicotine vapor from an e-cigarette or vape pen, has increased. Fifty years ago this month, the Surgeon General announced evidence existed that smoking was linked to lung cancer. The evil cancer villain has been lurking in the shadows, terrorizing the nation as millions of smokers light up. Anyone enjoying an episode of Mad Men will be shocked at the amount of cigarettes the actors go through in one scene alone.

Fifty years ago, smoking was boasted as a symbol of power, confidence and allure with just a hint of sex appeal. Cigarettes were pushed in magazines, billboards, newspapers and commercials displaying young children assisting a parent to light up a smoke. However, when the Surgeon General’s 1964 report came out denouncing cigarettes as a health hazard, anti-tobacco efforts were organized to hinder people’s ability to smoke, such as higher taxes on tobacco, nonsmoking areas and funding for stop smoking programs.

According to recent studies reported in the Journal of the American Medical Association, antismoking campaigns have saved as much as 8 million lives over the last 50 years. Smoking has been decreased by 58 percent, hovering at 18 percent, and life expectancy has increased by 1.5 years for women and 2 years for men. While the lung cancer rates have decreased, vaping has increased.

Vaping

New smoking alternatives have flooded the market, like e-cigarettes, and gaining popularity by leaps and bounds. Many believe tobacco-free alternative cigarettes are beneficial to public health by completely eliminating second hand smoke and aiding in the decrease in lung cancer. Some smoke-free areas permit e-cigarettes and vape pens and have increased vaping.

Vaporium have sprung up across the country. Henley Vaporium recently opened in SoHo and has become a popular place for those interested in vaping. Vapologists guide customers through the multitude of gadgets and liquid nicotine, referred to as e-flavor, which number upwards of 100 flavors like blueberry, butterscotch, vanilla and caramel.

Electronic cigarettes contain a sensor-activated battery. When a person inhales, or pushes a button on some models, an element heats up and vaporizes the e-liquid nicotine located in a cartridge which emits a mist, or vapor. Disposable e-cigarettes start at $10 while vape pens can run $250, but can be found for much less.

E-cigarettes have also been a stepping stone for helping people to quit smoking, especially now when New Year’s resolutions are still fresh in mind. Henley co-founder Talia Eisenberg battled OxyContin and Vicodin addiction for many years, finally overcoming the drugs only to find she couldn’t quit smoking. Nothing worked; nicotine gum, patches, Chantix and cold turkey were unable to help her kick the habit. Then she picked up an e-cigarette; within a few weeks, she kicked the habit for good.

Eisenberg, along with her co-founder, Peter Denholtz, traveled to Shenzhen, China to develop the first Henley e-cigarette. The new Henley design contains an enhanced battery and chip, giving it a better draw and more cigarette-like features: more vapor, more style.

The results have been overwhelming; several Henley Vaporiums have opened across New York. Eisenberg views this as a viable option for smokers with less health risk to both smokers and non-smokers alike. The vapor is much less toxic than drawing chemical-laden tobacco smoke into the lungs.

While many vape pen users agree with Eisenberg, no long-term studies have been done on the use of e-cigarettes to determine just how harmful they may be.

American Lung Association spokesperson Dr. Mike Feinstein expressed his concerns about the safety of the e-cigarettes, stating people are inhaling a chemical vapor into their lungs without realizing what is in it. Dr. Robert Greene, a physician at the Palm Beach Cancer Institute also expressed his concerns about a potential health hazard in the making. Greene emphasized the fact that no real information exists about the long-term effects of liquid nicotine since the product has only been around for three years.

Researchers do not know exactly what’s inside of vape pens and e-cigarettes, but when the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) examined a sample, toxic chemicals were found including diethylene glycol the main ingredient in antifreeze.

The FDA is assembling regulations regarding the use of vape pens and they should be out later this year. No matter what the FDA decides about the future of vape pens, facts cannot be denied. Lung cancer has decreased as vaping increased.

By Deborah Baran

NY Times

Grimm Green

ABC Action News

56 Responses to "Lung Cancer Decreases as Vaping Increases"

1. Margaret Hermon   May 27, 2016 at 7:58 am

Only been around for three years? Funny, I’ve been a vaper for more than six years – to the benefit of my health and my pocket. After smoking for more than 60 years it’s such a relief to have quit the deadly weed forever.

2. lori   May 27, 2016 at 6:16 am

I know someone in my apt building who vapes so much it gets me sick and of course he has mental illness. I been around other people who vape and it doesn’t get me sick. I get the mingrains from it. I found out its not the ecig itself but its the juice that gets put into it. Its seems like it a lot to do with the fruity smells. He also smokes when he goes outside so in that case he is doing both and I’m suffering. The regular cigs done brother me in that way. I don’t get mingrians from the cigarettes just when he doing the ecig.

3. Robert   August 22, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Vape juice has 4 ingredients. Vegetable glycerin, propylene glycol, pure pharmaceutical grade nicotine, and concentrated flavoring. Propylene glycol has been an ingredient in automotive antifreeze for some time now because the original additive (ethylene glycol) used back in the 70’s was found to be poisonous. Dogs would sometimes drink it and become sick or even die.
    Propylene glycol is used in food additives and medications such as liquid baby Tylenol. As is vegetable glycerin.
    I have read that some e-juice makers have been experimenting with other additives in the hopes of finding something that would be addictive. Much like the food industry has with additives like hi fructose corn syrup.
    I make my own juice just to be sure that I’m not getting anything like that. And it’s very much less expensive.

4. Daniel   May 26, 2015 at 2:48 pm

First and foremost: PROOFREAD YOUR ARTICLE! The spelling and grammar mistakes were very hard to get by making this article seem as though it has absolutely no credibiltity.

Any GLYCOL compound will have the same “characteristics” as an antifreeze; meaning it will absorb moisture and prevent liquid from freezing to a certain point. There is no antifreeze compound in any e-juice, just chemicals that may resemble characteristics of an antifreeze.

True: there are no studies to back anything stating one alternative to be healthier than the other.

True: the antifreeze claim was made by a company/study backed by tobacco dollars.

True: lung cancer diagnosis numbers have decreased since the introduction of electronic cigarettes.

False: ecigs are the reason diagnosis numbers have dropped. Come on, common sense dictates that fewer people are smoking. That’s it.

Like the previous poster said: make your own INFORMED decision. I’ve been cigarette free for 2.5 years now thanks to ecigs after smoking for nearly 15 years; the last 2 of which I was a near 2 pack a day smoker. I’ve never felt better, saved so much money, and just been plain ole proud of myself for sticking to something.

I found it to be a worthwhile endeavor, you may not on the other hand. Decide for yourself. Seriously, think for YOURSELF for once, Google CAN’T TELL YOU EVERYTHING.

• james   May 26, 2015 at 11:06 pm

I have been vaping since I quit smoking! I can get the same pleasure vaping as I did smoking a cigarette!actually I feel better about vaping since I stopped smoking 3yrs ago,because I vape.i tried to quit smoking many times.it was hopeless until I tried vaping.So that is the easy way to quit plus my lungs are terrible.I have COPD.I know that nicotine isn’t the best but I was told that vaping nicotine is about the same as caffeine.I am even lowering my nicotine level and my smoking preference was a tobacco flavor but after about 6months I starting to dislike the tobacco flavors and now use more of a fruit flavor or a vanilla custard flavor.But there are so many flavors to choose from.It can be expensive buying the juice but as I stated now I can buy at a not so expensive cost.knoledge is the factor.talk to people that vape you can buy at a very reasonable price.30ml was $30.00/now I pay about $3.50 for 30 ml. my lungs don’t lie.Daniel I’m sure you have made the best decision smoking cigarettes is a filthy habit that I did for over 30 some yrs.I regret it every day It took my breath away.now that I vape I feel my lungs getting a little bit better but the damage is done.Especially at my age.Now all they have to do is Legalize Marijuana the organic plant that has so many Benefits for your Health! Everybody knows that has cancer because it helps.also Epilepsy,stroke patients,Alsheimer,it goes on etc.

5. Erin   May 9, 2015 at 11:08 am

God, this is a stupid headline. Vaping will prove to have its own share of deadly problems down the line. You write this stupid headline and give vaping credit for the decline in lung cancer. Did you ever stop to think it might be because more people have stopped smoking and fewer have started? Journalism school is always a good idea for writers.

6. Shagustus   May 3, 2015 at 10:54 am

Propylene glycol is not antifreeze. Ethylene glycol is, but is not found in e-liquid. Stop the confusion in the name of big tobacco profits.

• james   May 3, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I have been a smoker of cigarettes for over 40 plus yrs.I tried to quit several times.with no avail.Mainly because I liked to smoke.But my health is really bad to continue.So I tried vaping,It was pleasant gave me more satisfaction.Because of that reason I will never go back to cigarettes,and the vaping of all types of flavors is the pleasure, So far I use less each day,I might vape 2times an hour ,the habit just isn’t their like cigarette

7. Janet   April 5, 2015 at 4:40 pm

It’s all about the money and it always will be. It doesn’t matter if ecigs were found to be GOOD for you, if that revelation causes big business to lose money, you’ll always be told that they’re not safe. Research for yourself and make your own informed decisions. Don’t be lead around by a leash.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login