Xbox One Exclusive Titanfall a Mediocre Game

Xbox One

Titanfall, an Xbox One exclusive game, has had gamers everywhere excited and talking since its announcement. Does it stack up to the hype, or is Titanfall simply a mediocre experience? When the console wars were beginning to heat up during the third and fourth quarters of last year, Xbox made a startling announcement that the hype machine that was Titanfall would be an Xbox One exclusive. For many people, this was the decisive move that prompted their choice as to what console they would choose for their current generation gaming experience.

For those that are not on the forefront of gaming and have only heard of this game in passing, Titanfall was supposed to be a genre-defying experience promising first-person action game play like never before, with features that would change the way first-person shooters are played. All of this sounded great. Unfortunately, what players received would not be great, but this does not mean everything about the game is bad.

Because this article is not intended to be a scathing review or a rallying statement against this game, it is important to highlight the positives that are actually present. Gameplay revolves around multiplayer matches where the generic corporate bad guy, IMC, is pitted against the generic rag-tag Militia. The players take on the role of pilot for either of these factions, which allows them to call in and command titans. These game types are fairly standard to the modern first-person shooter, with the exception of Last Titan Standing which might be the best mode simply because it gives the players the most time within a titan. Piloting a titan is what the game tries to center itself around, and seamless switching from controlling a pilot to controlling the ironclad war machines is incredibly smooth in comparison to mech games of the past generations. Titans are entertaining, but the real fun lies in the maneuverability of the pilots, who can run along walls, and use jump-packs to perform a second jump in midair.  The bells and whistles in Titanfall are nice, but Xbox One’s poster child falls short when it comes to separating itself from any run-of-the-mill, mediocre, shooting game.

The players can participate in a so-called campaign mode where there is a so-called plot that highlights certain characters and events that occur within Titanfall‘s universe, however the only difference between the campaign stages and the standard multiplayer matches is that sometimes players will hear annoying voiceovers from forgettable characters about events they are supposed to care about amidst the chaos. The campaign could be ignored entirely, if it were not for the unlockables that players get for completing it. On top of this, the storyline progresses the same way no matter what team wins or loses, effectively making the campaign able to be completed without even aiming down the sights of one’s gun.

As for the guns, players used to the selection offered in Battlefield or Call of Duty find themselves restricted. Pilots have ten primary weapons and three sidearms to choose from, with the primary weapons having a small number of attachments.  Titans get a total of five primary weapons, and four ordnance weapons.  Video games are at an age where customizability exhibits itself in nearly every game, and for an Xbox One game as supported and promoted as Titanfall is to provide the player with a mediocre selection of weapons with barely any customization options, makes players just wish there was more.

That’s the issue with Titanfall:  there is just not enough stuff to make it a good game.  Titans, wall-running, and double jumping may offer some neat features that can possibly be improved upon, but ultimately they do not separate the game from the rest of the lot. This shows in the games scoring.  A quick glance at the Metacritic scores shows official reviewers giving praise, but the player base giving an average score of a disappointed 6.2: a score reserved for the boring and uninspired. With the player base expressing such dismay at this game, why are people still playing? The answer might be the worst part about this game: it is just barely fun enough for players to come back to in hopes of finding something worthwhile.  If Titanfall cannot produce any expansions before its player base gets tired of the overall mediocrity, Xbox One owners may find themselves spending more time with games like Battlefield or Call of Duty for their first-person shooter fix.

Opinion by Michael Foster

Kotaku
Metacritic
Gamepedia

9 Responses to "Xbox One Exclusive Titanfall a Mediocre Game"

1. tandin420   March 25, 2014 at 7:36 am

Metacritic is total bs, and the user scores for the latest cod games are much lower than that. I play fps almost exclusively and tf is the most fun I’ve had in one in years. I will never play bf4 again. Single player is not necessary in competitive shooters. If a generic 6 hour campaign and endless guns that all shoot the same way, than go play cod with all the other little kids and campers. Tf is fresh and innovative! More is not always better. Anyway my titanfall is ready so I have to go.
    P.S. I have never rated a game on metacritic everyone knows it’s just for hater fan boys and fake accounts. Just my 2 cents

2. Steve   March 24, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Titanfall isn’t an XB1 exclusive……It’s on PC & 360 also….

3. medman   March 24, 2014 at 10:36 am

A multiplayer only title holds absolutely no appeal for me, and I’m far from alone in that sentiment. I need a good story to advance the gameplay, otherwise it’s just wack a mole with repetitive rinse and repeat gameplay match after match with no real progression. That kind of thing gets very boring, very quickly for me. And when your enjoyment of a title rests solely on the quality of the online community, well, no thank you. The greatest games of every generation are story driven, and that’s not going to change.

4. matt ballz   March 24, 2014 at 7:35 am

Oh also, did you see the boost in xbone sales in the uk after the release of tf? Maybe its just us fat Americans who cant appreciate a good game.

5. Michael Foster   March 24, 2014 at 6:18 am

Thanks for reading and commenting everyone!

@rc I see what you’re saying, but not everyone plays the game the way you do. Based on my experience (I’ve been playing nearly every day since launch) a lot of people play this the same way they would play another shooter, for example, I’ve found camping during hardpoint and capture the flag to be a major issue. It was hard for me to say it was a ‘bad’ game, I just don’t think it is above average and I don’t think that the new features really change the basic formula for modern fps games.

@Aaron C. While I don’t feel as though there was enough content in the game, I think $40 would be too low for Respawn, because they are sort of a new company (but if they did charge $40 I wouldn’t be mad, that’s for sure). I’ve also heard that Titanfall 2 will be multiplatform when confirmed. Hopefully this means that the players will get more content in the game. To me this game just feels like Respawn stopped caring once they got paid to keep it exclusive. I don’t really want to think that or say that about them because Titanfall had a lot of, but maybe they should have put out a better game.

@Old McGroin I’m aware that whoever feels like going on Metacritic can say whatever they want, however, I am also a total rookie. There was a pretty large number of reviews on there and I’m not currently aware of any other public forums that allow users to determine an average score for a game. If you could suggest any you would use I’d greatly appreciate it.

6. Ludicrous   March 23, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Opinion by Michael Foster

Only part I believe, rest is baloney.

7. Aaron C.   March 23, 2014 at 6:08 pm

“That’s the issue with Titanfall: there is just not enough stuff to make it a good game. Titans, wall-running, and double jumping may offer some neat features that can possibly be improved upon, but ultimately they do not separate the game from the rest of the lot. ”

I agree with this. I’ve played TF since launch, and the game is definitely fun. It’s a good game, but it is not a console seller and it is not meant to revolutionize FPS gaming. The good things about it is gameplay. Parkour, walljumping, booster thrust, riding a Titan…all these things make it fun. However, it gets old rather quickly. I haven’t played it in 4 days and counting. I’ve gone back to Ghosts and PvZ. The game lacks weapon, pilot and titan customization. Things which are readily found in other shooters like Ghosts, BF4, and PvZ. Also, the visuals in TF are sub-par. The graphics is graphics found on the PS3 and X360. Also, there is very noticeable graphic tearing and sever frame-drops at time. This is the biggest issue with the game…visually speaking.

Overall, the game should have launched at $40 and not $60. There’s not enough content to justify the standard $60. To the developers credit, Titanfall 2 will be a multi-platform game (PS systems included), and so I believe they may have held back a bit. Smart move, if so.

8. rc   March 23, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Dude go play cod ,titanfall bought life back in to fps genre that games like cod and bf killed …….your correct on the story mode .. but as halo is away and doom a long way from being completed all others can not hold a candle to titanfall.. tf for starters got rid of camping ….. it suits lone wolf and team players ..its not about i see you first soo one shot to the foot your dead like cod it takes reall thinking and control to takedown your foe …. somthing fps lost im sick of people camping and hiding in groups titanfall forces those players to come out their shell and fight if not die ……..hands down tf is one of the top fps on my list since quake.. and bots are in the game for a reason just say you and your team some how found a way to camp in tf .. the team your fighting will just kill your bots to win the game ,your their to protect your bots while your camping ill have called down a titan 4 times compaired to your one and your bots would be destroyed…. say if i didnt wanna focus on your bots and you were camping id flush you out with my titan ….for you to say it is not ground breaking i think you need to stop reveiwing games

9. Old McGroin   March 23, 2014 at 9:02 am

Michael Foster, not sure if you know this but anybody can say anything they want and give any score they want in the user section of Metacritic, including an army of fanboys for the other side who have been eagerly awaiting this games release just so they can dump on it because it’s not available on their console. Thinking that the user score on Metacritic can really be used to judge how the public feels about a game shows a little bit of naivety on your part.